• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Got a phone call today to answer a brief survey for a chance to win a FREE CRUISE. Just placed the phone by the TV, raised its volume and waited for the call to finish. It's a periodic call so I am blocking the number.  Perhaps we can share the info to make our lives easier. I'll suggest a format but improve it if you wish.

Report Format:

DATE              Source Number             Comment
10/3/2016       347-474-3865              Answer survey, win a Free Cruise.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have Mr. Number app on my smartphone and it has a built-in blacklist of scammers/spammers which you can add to. You can also only allow numbers in your contact list. Also adding your numbers to the "National No-Call" database helps some.

2nd for 'Mr Number' that app has saved me time and time again. It crowd sources the spam #s so that if enough people report it on their app or on the web, then no one else gets it.

It does freak me out when I get a 'spam' call that rings my phone once, then Mr Number drops it.  I Was thinking I was missing all these calls....spam calls.
Did do a miss a couple of times when a 'big business' like a bank called and it dropped them because that # was all their robo call #

This type of spam-caller information is available on a number of websites online, which are better able to handle the reporting, presenting, and searching of such information, so looking for a couple of those sites that you find easy to use would be a better use of time than trying to recreate that type of list from scratch in a Fatwallet thread. (There will be many thousands of these numbers at any one time.)

My elderly relative was missing day-before appointment-reminder calls from his rheumatologist, whom he needs to see relatively regularly, and who charges $25 for a missed appointment. When I looked into why he was not getting those calls, I found out that the doctor's office's appointment-reminder call service (which they outsource to a company in Colorado) was listed as a spam caller on one of those "spam calls" websites and someone (with good intentions) had blocked that number on my relative's home phone.

The crowd-sourcing approach is good to provide information, but I wouldn't rely on their determinations exclusively.

If it works with your home phone, I highly recommend Nomorobo (nomorobo.com). It gets about 95% of the robocalls I get. Rings once, and then cuts off.

Looks like Mr. Number doesn't work with anything but very old versions of Android (4.4 and below). Any suggestions for an app that does?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016