• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It's interesting that some of the stories list the price as $4.5 billion, some as $5.5 billion. Given 68,470,000 shares outstanding, the $4.5 billion number is correct. Not a great premium to price before announcement.

Bass Pro has about $4.5B in annual sales, Cabela's about $4B.

The owner of Bass Pro has been very successful despite being a bit crazy. Johnny Morris is an "act now, think later" kind of guy. Story I heard once was that when he was building his first (only?) salt water store (in the Florida Keys), he told an exec to fly to his home in Florida. He showed him a boat that he said was owned by Ernest Hemingway (it wasn't, it was the sister ship to Hemingway's boat which he supposedly went out on and then decided to buy one). Anyway, he told the exec, "I want to put this in the store". The exec said "do you realize the amount of space it will take up that could be filled with product to sell?" Johnny said to do it. The exec then said "we will have to rip down an exterior wall to do this" to which Johnny replied "then do that". And they did.

I'm saddened by this news. In the DFW, TX area, we have Gander MountainBass Pro Shops and Cabela 's.

The first two are overpriced and seem to focus more on clothing (2/3 of the Gander store is clothes) and high-end toys (Bass Pro, with boats and ATVs taking up a decent portion)

Sure, both are fun to window shop, but I dont recall ever buying anything there.

At Cabela 's, I've bought coolers, fishing rods and lots of ammo (free ship to store, no minimum). I can only guess what dark path BassPro is going to take Cabela 's down.

What happens to Cabela's gift card?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016