• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/10/amazon-bans-incentivised...
Ars Technica said: Amazon is cracking down on inaccurate product reviews by banning any that were "incentivised," except—that is—for those that come from its own Amazon Vine program.

 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
its a start in the right direction, but hypocrisy rules with them allowing Vine to still exist

rated:
All of the "review" sites are still up... they basically just changed them so there is no mention of reviews... and no requirement to review products... and not even any links to review a product.

I've participated in a few of these and was always a bit conflicted. I definitely got a ton of stuff and gave honest feedback on each item, but it was always obvious that others were not so forthcoming. You could also tell that some of the sellers were gaming the system. For example, some wouldn't provide a direct link to the product but would provide instructions on how to search for and find the item... trying to do a bit of SEO. Others would include a card with the item asking you to contact them directly if you felt that the item deserved less than a 4 or 5 star rating... Though, you could argue that this might have just been good customer service.

I'd actually like to see the details behind the statistics that Amazon provided. They definitely, on aggregate, show higher ratings for compensated reviews than the public at large. However, I'd like to see the stats on individual items. Since many of the reviewed items were simple things (e.g. USB cables, screen protectors, shoelaces, light bulbs), I'd expect them to get good reviews (it's a cable... 99.99% of the time, they'll be exactly as expected and deserve a 5* rating). The shear quantity of items of this type would likely skew the overall average.

rated:
Thank goodness I was tired of seeing reviews based on discounted blah blah it was so annoying.

rated:
About time. It's quite an experiment that shows how easily people can be bought

rated:
BigFatCat said:   
...You could also tell that some of the sellers were gaming the system. For example, some wouldn't provide a direct link to the product but would provide instructions on how to search for and find the item... trying to do a bit of SEO...
 

  
Clever, I think you got a bingo on that. Some of these sellers might value the SEO more than the reviews.

rated:
This site graded Amazon Reviews

http://fakespot.com/ 

rated:
arebangdu said:   This site graded Amazon Reviews

http://fakespot.com/

yes

Pobre
posted: Aug. 5, 2016 @ 9:07a 
I can't speak to the "I received this product..." reviews, but I have been using this to scan reviews
: http://fakespot.com/

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1517880?showmes...

rated:
i once reviewed a wireless charging pad, i gave it 4 stars cus there' a LED light always on even when you not charging. the seller (company) emailed me telling me to change it to 5 stars, they said LED light uses very little energy. but i refused to change the rating.

rated:
I have received emails from the sellers wanting me to review the products I've purchased before the actual product arrives and in the emails they have said that if there is any reason why I shouldn't give them 5 stars, I should contact the seller immediately to rectify any issues.

Today was one of those days. I'm really unhappy with the product and gave it a generous 2 star rating (my wife says it should be a 1 star) so we'll see if I further hear from the seller in the next few days.

rated:
kerigmt said:   I have received emails from the sellers wanting me to review the products I've purchased before the actual product arrives and in the emails they have said that if there is any reason why I shouldn't give them 5 stars, I should contact the seller immediately to rectify any issues.

Today was one of those days. I'm really unhappy with the product and gave it a generous 2 star rating (my wife says it should be a 1 star) so we'll see if I further hear from the seller in the next few days.

  Did you return the product and get a full refund?

rated:
FutureDilemma said:   http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/10/amazon-bans-incentivised... 
Ars Technica said: Amazon is cracking down on inaccurate product reviews by banning any that were "incentivised," except—that is—for those that come from its own Amazon Vine program.

  What took them so long? I stopped buying from Amazon altogether because I'm so frustrated seeing those fake reviews. Took me a while to realize those reviews are fake. Kinda lost trust on Amazon.
 

rated:
dv8ed said:   Thank goodness I was tired of seeing reviews based on discounted blah blah it was so annoying.
  Same here

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016