• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/

I realize many are aware of sites like cashback monitor, however, since posting about best CB offers is now allowable on FW, I'm sure there are newer members who are not familiar with these sites.

Given we are heading in to prime time holiday shopping season, this is definitely something you want to be aware of and check out prior to placing any online orders.

Cashback Monitor is not the only site like this, so if members have others they use and prefer, please feel free to add a comment with their link. thank you. MC

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I've used several, but cashbackmonitor.com is currently my go-to site as well.

rated:
I use Cashback Monitor and CashbackHolic http://www.cashbackholic.com/.

rated:
Cashbackmonitor. Don't even remember what I used before that. But the highest CB rate may not be the best depending on minimums to cash out, etc. IMHO.

rated:
mathfaster said:   Cashbackmonitor. Don't even remember what I used before that. But the highest CB rate may not be the best depending on minimums to cash out, etc. IMHO.

yes, any other requirements should be taken into consideration. but if the CB rate is really superior on a big $ purchase, probably worth using the offer and making sure you reach the min cash out via a few other smaller purchases since CB at most sites never expires unless you remain totally inactive for a long period of time (say 6 months or a year)

rated:
This is excellent, though I wish there was a way to weigh airline points different. For example, I value Alaska Airline miles a heck of a lot more than Delta skymiles, when Alaska earns 1pt/$ and Delta earns 2pt/$, I probably still prefer Alaska.

rated:
novocane said:   This is excellent, though I wish there was a way to weigh airline points different. For example, I value Alaska Airline miles a heck of a lot more than Delta skymiles, when Alaska earns 1pt/$ and Delta earns 2pt/$, I probably still prefer Alaska.
Cashbackmonitor can do what you want.Once you create an account and login, click on your name in the upper right corner. That will take you to a configuration page. From there, go to the Assign Value to Miles tab, and assign whatever values you wish.

rated:
novocane said:   This is excellent, though I wish there was a way to weigh airline points different. For example, I value Alaska Airline miles a heck of a lot more than Delta skymiles, when Alaska earns 1pt/$ and Delta earns 2pt/$, I probably still prefer Alaska.
  I agree.  Alaska miles are awesome.  They are much more loose with changing and canceling flights: free cancellation (other than possibly a $25 partner award fee) up to 60 days before departure, free changes up to 60 days before, etc.  With Delta, once you book, you can't change or cancel without paying a $150 fee.  How do you roll that sort of flexibility into a points per $ number?  Not sure you can.  What's the monetary value of "flexibility?"

rated:
I was recently surprised and dissapointed to realize that cashback monitor is no longer reporting ebates rates (at least for merchants I use). I didn't realize it at first, just choosing the highest rate listed from the portals I use. After several purchases I thought it is weird that ebates didn't have an offer for a company that I'd gotten cash back from them a number of times in the past. I went directly to ebates and found that they did in fact have cash back for that merchant  (and a higher percentage than what I settled for on my last order), but it wasn't listed on CBM. Then I checked a number of other merchants on CBM that ebates currently offers CB for and found ebates was not listed as an option. So I've been leaving money on the table without realizing it and no longer trust cash back monitor as a one stop, comprehensive list. If I don't see any of my known portals listed on CBM, I now have to check their websites directly to make sure I'm getting the best rates.

rated:
fivetalents said:   I was recently surprised and dissapointed to realize that cashback monitor is no longer reporting ebates rates (at least for merchants I use). I didn't realize it at first, just choosing the highest rate listed from the portals I use. After several purchases I thought it is weird that ebates didn't have an offer for a company that I'd gotten cash back from them a number of times in the past. I went directly to ebates and found that they did in fact have cash back for that merchant  (and a higher percentage than what I settled for on my last order), but it wasn't listed on CBM. Then I checked a number of other merchants on CBM that ebates currently offers CB for and found ebates was not listed as an option. So I've been leaving money on the table without realizing it and no longer trust cash back monitor as a one stop, comprehensive list. If I don't see any of my known portals listed on CBM, I now have to check their websites directly to make sure I'm getting the best rates.

That's a real pain in the butt. Have you tried any of the other sites that compare rates to see how reliable they are?

rated:

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:     
That's a real pain in the butt. Have you tried any of the other sites that compare rates to see how reliable they are?

Unfortunately, no. If that changes, I will gladly share it here. Before CBM, had a very redimentary method: I kept a shopping window open with a tab for each of my preferred portals, checking rates on all of them for whatever website I was about to buy from. So, you can imagine how glad I was to find CBM. This thread is very timely for me now that I know that CBM doesn't or isn't allowed to report all rates... makes me wonder why they dropped ebates (do they get referral fees and their deal with ebates fell apart?). I'm curious to learn more about the site recommended by harper (www.cashbackholic.com).

rated:
fivetalents said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:     

Unfortunately, no. If that changes, I will gladly share it here. Before CBM, had a very redimentary method: I kept a shopping window open with a tab for each of my preferred portals, checking rates on all of them for whatever website I was about to buy from. So, you can imagine how glad I was to find CBM. This thread is very timely for me now that I know that CBM doesn't or isn't allowed to report all rates... makes me wonder why they dropped ebates (do they get referral fees and their deal with ebates fell apart?). I'm curious to learn more about the site recommended by harper (www.cashbackholic.com).

Thanks Five, didn't even realize they dropped Ebates til you mentioned it. very surprising as Ebates has to be one of the best known cashback sites that exists.

rated:
This OLD thread ( www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/958491 ) mentions:
www.evreward.com
www.rewardsdb.com
www.cashbackchart.com
www.dealmine.com

I don't know if any of critiques in that thread about these sites still stand. I peeked at each site breifly and noticed:
- evreward listed rates for ebates, but they also still have FatWallet listed as a cash back portal, so not sure how accurate/on point they are 
- rewardsdb didn't even recognize the merchant I searched on evreward.
- While cashbackchart did recognize the same merchant, they seem to only list the one, single highest rate from four portals (well three since they too still list FatWallet in their FAQs), instead of all exising portals.
- Dealmine doesn't even seem to exist anymore.

rated:
Just do Name of the retailer (e.g WalMart) cashback comparison (i.e. "WalMart cashback comparison") search on Google. All the cashback compression sites will show up. Usually cashbackholic comes at the top, then cashbackmonitor, and then cashbackwatch. These are the main cashback comparison sites.

rated:
fivetalents said:   I was recently surprised and dissapointed to realize that cashback monitor is no longer reporting ebates rates (at least for merchants I use).

I would think that if a major shopping portal like ebates isn't being shown at a particular comparison site, it's by choice. They do not want to pay the referral fees or something like that.

rated:
I've been loving cashbackmonitor since I switched to it a couple of years ago.  Prior to that I used evreward, and prior to that a similar feature of nerdwallet that may or may not still exist.  I've never tried cashaholic.  But cashbackmonitor seems to have been a consistent winner for me, though if they really have dropped ebates from their listings, I may have to consider checking other sites to compare.

In answer to the valid concerns about spreading rewards across multiple portals and not reaching a redeemable level, at least one portal, topcashback.com, promises that if any other portal offers a better cashback offer, they will match the offer if you email them.  I haven't taken advantage of this guarantee, but theoretically, you could use cashbackmonitor or evreward to find the best rate, but then (I guess as long as topcashback listed that retailer at all) use topcashback.com as your portal and accumulate all of your rewards there, at always the best rate.

Chris.

ETA: Just looked it up, and the topcashback guarantee is a bit more limited than I thought, but still could be useful:

https://www.topcashback.com/Help/76

rated:
yoregano said:   
fivetalents said:   I was recently surprised and dissapointed to realize that cashback monitor is no longer reporting ebates rates (at least for merchants I use).
I would think that if a major shopping portal like ebates isn't being shown at a particular comparison site, it's by choice. They do not want to pay the referral fees or something like that.

Actually, I could easily see it the other way around.  Ebates may be blocking CBM from gathering and/or showing results from eBates, either by interfering with whatever mechanism CBR is using to retrieve the data, or by threatening CBR with lawsuit for displaying information about Ebates rewards.  Ebates might do this because they perceive these consolidation sites as a threat to their revenue.  Ebates would obviously prefer everyone to come straight to ebates.com and search for a store from there, or better yet, the product or category they are looking for.  That way ebates can get *all* of your business, not just the stores for which they happen to be the best deal.  If that's what's going on here, it could be the beginning of the end for these consolidation sites.  Or at least the end of any such site that becomes mainstream enough to make a difference.  If it becomes a trend, it could keep us hopping from one consolidation site to the next new kid on the block.

Chris.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/ 
I realize many are aware of sites like cashback monitor, however, since posting about best CB offers is now allowable on FW, I'm sure there are newer members who are not familiar with these sites.

I so appreciate general threads like this which transmit really useful information that a proportion of the readers here can get value from right away.   Sometimes it's "basic", sometimes it's already widely known amongst some subsets of the readers - but sometimes it's not.

I don't use cashback programs myself (I used to, some years ago),
but I'm glad to have been made aware that there are various comparison sites out there which are helping people make their way through the complex cashback landscape, and that some such sites may exclude (for any number of reasons) some of the largest industry players (as in the E/ba/tes case described above).

rated:
Looks like Ebates is back on Cashback Monitor.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016