• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Has anyone here tried this? Was the member only price sheet as cheap as you could have negotiated on your own? If these are good deals, it seems like a time saver. Plus they will give you a $300 or $700 Costco gift card if you use Costco Auto to buy a GM/Chevy through January 3.. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The $500 he is alluding to is paid by the dealer not by the consumer directly. Therefore in theory if you skip the middl... (more)

mmarreco (Oct. 23, 2016 @ 11:25p) |

All of the referral programs (credit union, bank, insurance company, Costco, Truecar, etc.) offer largely similar progra... (more)

jarfykk (Oct. 24, 2016 @ 12:26a) |

if i remember correctly, the dealership has this list of cars that costco members have an extra discount on

for example c... (more)

VivYip (Oct. 24, 2016 @ 9:22a) |

why do you want to do?but the Sun Visor Mirrors Glass can stop the glare of the headlights or sun.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
My girlfriend and I tried Costco's Auto Service just recently on a Honda accord. They only had price listings for 2016 models. They definitely were good prices, but since they didn't have any 2016 models on hand, it worked well for negotiating on 2017 models at another dealership. She got a 2017 EX model for $23000.

rated:
When I lived in Illinois, I went through the process to buy my Honda Pilot, but ended up not using it. The pricing was comparable to using https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/main.html. I didn't use costco, because the recommended dealer was further from my house. I took the lowest truecar price (kept change zip codes) I found to my nearby dealer and he matched that price. Before I went in with the Truecar/Costco pricing, the dealers were not offering me pricing near this point.

I think it would have been about the same price with the Costco dealer. The gift card would have made it cheaper then Truecar, but I wanted to buy from the closer dealer so I went that direction.

I would suggest you go through the Costco process, it doesn't lock you in and it is a time saver. I would also say print out a Truecar price too, even if you don't have AMEX you can use it to negotiate. In Illinois I had multiple dealers in the area, so I went to one with Costco, one with Amex and one on my own. Costco and Amex were easiest the dealer I went to on my own was probably 1K higher. I'm sure I could have negotiated down more, but wasn't worth the effort.

I have since bought two cars in SC. One was an "AD Car", the one you see advertised at a ridiculous price, and the Costco/Truecar didn't come close to that price. The other I bought at a no haggle dealer and his price was inline with truecar. Less dealers around here, so harder to negotiate.

Good Luck

rated:
I used Costco for both a used car and new and beat the Costco price every time by at least 700.00 each time its good starting point. But not the best price if your lazy and are happy with the first offer then use Costco.

rated:
We just bought a Honda Odyssey via Costco and paid 31,500 off a sticker MSRP of 38,600, and we're getting extended warranty at dealer cost. Second purchase through Costco and good outcome both times. (TTL extra of course)

rated:
Three years ago I used the Costco GM program to buy an XTS

Here are actual numbers from a Costco buy. I bought a 2013 XTS Luxury
MSRP 52,300
Supplier
Pricing 47,621
Rebate 5,000

Out the
door 42,621

In addition I received a 900 cash card from Costco which I redeemed for cash. So actual price was 41,721
20 percent off MSRP

Hope this helps.

rated:
Like Saver mentioned, check out Truecar to get a baseline. For my last car, I used Edmunds which turned out cheaper than the other 2. The good thing about Truecar and Edmunds is you get a good idea on pricing instantly, without having to go into the dealer. In general, most internet pricing is lower than all of these. Costco doesn't account for real time market. It's all off a price sheet taking into account manufacturer incentives; while if a dealer has a certain model in stock, they may be more aggressive on internet/ fleet pricing.

rated:
drose224 said:   Three years ago I used the Costco GM program to buy an XTS

Here are actual numbers from a Costco buy. I bought a 2013 XTS Luxury
MSRP 52,300
Supplier
Pricing 47,621
Rebate 5,000

Out the
door 42,621

In addition I received a 900 cash card from Costco which I redeemed for cash. So actual price was 41,721
20 percent off MSRP

Hope this helps.

So you didn't have to pay for taxes or anything? $42k out the door for an MSRP OF $52k is super good deal if the $42k included taxes. Even if you $42k didn't include taxes, you still saved $10k.

rated:
I tried it but was not impressed.  Costco member sheet offered $1,800 over invoice.  I was able to negotiate $15 under invoice.  Bear in mind this was a 60k+ car, so YMMV.  You can probably go even lower if you buy out of state.

rated:
alhluu said:     
So you didn't have to pay for taxes or anything? $42k out the door for an MSRP OF $52k is super good deal if the $42k included taxes. Even if you $42k didn't include taxes, you still saved $10k.

Tax and title vary by location and shoulnd never be included in a price discussion.

rated:
neighbor0;19668973 said: Plus they will give you a $300 or $700 Costco gift card if you use Costco Auto to buy a GM/Chevy through January 3.

Kills the deal...

rated:
I tried it to buy a Hyundai and a Kia and doesn't work for those two excellent price to performance to quality brands.

rated:
I wish these sites would include taxes & fees. It's a bit of a bother to search the DMV. Though I'm probably asking too much.

rated:
Just FYI about most of the online auto buying places... Most charge about a 500.00 fee and they almost all use the same backend for pricing, so look at multiple site , know which car, model and make you want and try to talk to the people online or on the phone, your dead meat if you enter the tigers pit and they know that, but if you know what Costco and edmonds and a ton of other places are charging use that as a base line.. Look and the Edmonds fourm they have a paid and lease / bought fourm which has people posting most of the prices they paid, but remember eat and west coast are diffrerent.

I used this site to find my used Cert Prius from a dealer and it was cheaper to buy it out of state and have it shipped here then buying it here
https://www.cargurus.com/

GL

rated:
Dilbertic said:   Just FYI about most of the online auto buying places... Most charge about a 500.00 fee and they almost all use the same backend for pricing, so look at multiple site , know which car, model and make you want and try to talk to the people online or on the phone, your dead meat if you enter the tigers pit and they know that, but if you know what Costco and edmonds and a ton of other places are charging use that as a base line.. Look and the Edmonds fourm they have a paid and lease / bought fourm which has people posting most of the prices they paid, but remember eat and west coast are diffrerent.

I used this site to find my used Cert Prius from a dealer and it was cheaper to buy it out of state and have it shipped here then buying it here

GL

Costco is free, many insurance companies use True Car and it is free also.  Consumer Reports is free, uses True Car, and subscribers save $100 more.

Who charges $500?

rated:
zapjb said:   I wish these sites would include taxes & fees. It's a bit of a bother to search the DMV. Though I'm probably asking too much.
  You should know your state's tax rate...

DMV fees for title and registration are easy to find, and once you know them you know them.  
What's "a bother"?

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   
zapjb said:   I wish these sites would include taxes & fees. It's a bit of a bother to search the DMV. Though I'm probably asking too much.

DMV fees for title and registration are easy to find, and once you know them you know them.  
What's "a bother"?

I know. Just lazy. Also the rates & fees do change.

rated:
zapjb said:   
EradicateSpam said:   

What's "a bother"?

I know. Just lazy. Also the rates & fees do change.

While your state may change them from year to year, from dealer to dealer they would be identical, thus having no impact on your buying decision...

rated:
Can you get the costco cash card if you lease??

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   
Dilbertic said:   Just FYI about most of the online auto buying places... Most charge about a 500.00 fee and they almost all use the same backend for pricing, so look at multiple site , know which car, model and make you want and try to talk to the people online or on the phone, your dead meat if you enter the tigers pit and they know that, but if you know what Costco and edmonds and a ton of other places are charging use that as a base line.. Look and the Edmonds fourm they have a paid and lease / bought fourm which has people posting most of the prices they paid, but remember eat and west coast are diffrerent.

GL

Costco is free, many insurance companies use True Car and it is free also.  Consumer Reports is free, uses True Car, and subscribers save $100 more.

Who charges $500?

Perhaps he meant the dealer pays the car buying services.

rated:
I never bought a car from Costco. They used to have a great car warranty service, that replaced any part. It was relatively cheap. You could go anywhere to repair it. I was going to get it for my Honda, but Costco dropped it 3-4 yrs ago. Maybe the warranty company they used, could not get any business, because most people did not know it was there.

rated:
Really, you think costco is doing this for free like the other places, they get a inline fee for doing this deal, it used to be about 500.00... So when they workthe deal the car wouldhave been say 39,400.00 and when you get the total it's 39.900.00, they make about 500 a car sold.  Like I SAID it a shared backend a bunch of places use to sell cars like that. not just costs.  When I bought my mothers Outback I checked with a bunch of them and sure enough about the same price, I asked the internet sales guy at the dealer and he gave me a better deal he said look up the whole sale cost on kbb and take off 10% , vs the net sales on these sites..

rated:
they are all about the same.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   

GL

Who charges $500?

The $500 he is alluding to is paid by the dealer not by the consumer directly. Therefore in theory if you skip the middleman you should be able to save that $500

rated:
All of the referral programs (credit union, bank, insurance company, Costco, Truecar, etc.) offer largely similar programs and pricing. There is some variation, sometimes quite large, both regionally and by make/model. In your interest to invest as much time as you care to do so.

At least around here, the best bet is usually to find the internet sales manager at 3-4 local dealerships and ask them for the out the door price on a specific vehicle in their inventory. Compare it to invoice to establish how much under/over they are and you should be largely able to replicate that delta on most other variations on that model. Compare the pricing among the handful of dealers, and either go with one that's cheapest or try and play off each other.

rated:
if i remember correctly, the dealership has this list of cars that costco members have an extra discount on

for example camry is 1300 off while corrrolla is 700 off for toyota....

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016