• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
 In one recent week alone, three restaurant companies filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, including Così ; Rita Restaurant Corp., parent of the Don Pablo chain, and Garden Fresh Corp., which operates Souplantation and Sweet Tomatoes. At least five other restaurant operators have filed for court protection this year, with restructuring plans that call for restaurant closures. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/restaurant-chains-get-burned-by-over... 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
With all due respect, I don't see a lot of customer overlap between Bob Evans and Blu3 Apron.  I think the main problem of most of the chains mentioned is being caught in the middle:  affluent millenial/GenX/GenY tend to shy away from chains, and working class folks find cheaper/better options, e.g., buffets, counter service places where you don't have to tip.

rated:
I was asking myself this about all the new sandwich place, we have Subway, Togo's, Quiznos, Erik's DeliCafé, Lee's Sandwiches, Panera Bread.. These have been around for awhile, then BANG like 5 or 6 different chains open up like Firehouse, Jersey Mikes, Ike's ( which my the way is one of the best ), Beach Hut Deli an the list goes on and I ask myself, how can these guys make it with so many sandwich places here.  You can also add burger places to the list, In and Out, 5 Guys, Habit Burgers and the list continues...

rated:
And the $5 foot long is long gone. Then it was $6 for a very short time. Now its $3.50 for a 6" sub. So a foot long is really costing $7 now. For that price I can get a pound of deli ham, 1/2 pound of swiss  and 3 small hero loaves. I can do without the condiments and rabbit food. People are not stupid. They vote with their pocket! 

rated:
speckr said:   And the $5 foot long is long gone. Then it was $6 for a very short time. Now its $3.50 for a 6" sub. So a foot long is really costing $7 now. For that price I can get a pound of deli ham, 1/2 pound of swiss  and 3 small hero loaves. I can do without the condiments and rabbit food. People are not stupid. They vote with their pocket! 

Agreed, Subways sandwiches are NOT worth $7 for a footlong. I can go to much better local places, serving really great breads and better quality FRESH SLICED (not that pre-fab garbage they unwrap for you) meats and cheeses, not to mention hot sandwiches like cheesesteaks, sausage & peppers, etc for $7

rated:
For 7 you can get a first class sub, in the italian neighborood in the bronx, with imported meats, and cheeses, and first quality bread. Subway was supposed to be a cheap option, but look at the prices of Mcdonals! They've been going up.

rated:
Subway: Love the "ham" that's actually made from turkey...

rated:
DarthEnol said:   Subway: Love the "ham" that's actually made from turkey...

Or is it turkey that's actually made from ham??

rated:
examiner44 said:   
DarthEnol said:   Subway: Love the "ham" that's actually made from turkey...

Or is it turkey that's actually made from ham??

Tastes like chicken.

rated:
Time to go Vegan boys. It's much cheaper.

rated:
For a family of 4 peoples, it costs about $30 for a meal at subway. It can be 2 meals for $7.99 3-topping pizza at Dominos.

For pizza - yes, Subway - no.

rated:
Never understood the popularity of Subway with their industrial tasting food that isn't cheap at all.

rated:
vegetation said:   Never understood the popularity of Subway with their industrial tasting food that isn't cheap at all.
  You can apply that to McDonald's or any other 'popular fast food chain'.

It's popular because:

1) It's $6 for almost anything
2) It takes about 5 minutes
3) It doesn't take up a lot of space approx 1/4 of a McDonalds

They haven't poisoned anyone lately.
(They have made some bad decisions Jared or 12" definition) but otherwise they provide consistent food for a good price late night or early morning.
It's perfect for our 'on the go' society.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016