• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I need a stackable washer/dryer pair and am having trouble deciding whether or not to buy now or wait until Black Friday. All of the stores I've checked have 30-day price protection, but only Sears indicated they'd refund any price difference if the items are cheaper on Black Friday, and even a few days beyond. There are some good sales now that are scheduled to end in a few days. But Black Friday is too far away to fall within the 30-day price protection policy.

Does anyone remember if last year's Black Friday had better than normal sale prices on washers/dryers?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Now:

1. September and October
The best time to buy most major appliances is during the months of September and October. During these two months, manufacturers unveil their latest models. This means that the previous year’s models must be discounted in order to make room for the new models that will hit stores in the winter.

rated:
also discover card specifically allows price matching to black friday.

rated:
Thanks vadetachi and miserly.

I never considered the fact that credit cards also price protect. Probably because I've never used price protection, and the only issue regarding it that I recall is that it used to be for 30 days; but that was apparently a long time ago.

My preferred credit card is Discover and I called them to confirm their price protection policy. They do not specifically allow or exclude Black Friday or CyberMonday, etc. special sale days, but instead offer a general 90 day price protection policy, with what I consider normal exclusions. So a purchase now would be price protected well beyond any special sale events through the end of the year--including Black Friday, etc. special events.

I've pretty much decided on the Samsung WF42H5000AW washer and DV42H5000EW dryer set, for around $550 each at Lowes, which are "on sale" until 10/25. Subtract a 10% Lowes coupon and 1% Discover Card Cash back and the deal becomes even better. There's also a $50 rebate which is not very well advertised. The price includes delivery and installation. I'd also have to buy a cord for the dryer and a stacking kit.

Now I must decide if I should go ahead and make the above purchase, or wait for a better deal on different machines on Black Friday and beyond.

rated:
That deal sounds good to me, especially with the sale, the rebate, the coupon, and your Discover 90 day price protection. I would probably go ahead and do that.

rated:
buy used instead ,save even MORE

rated:
Discover price protection is very good and easy to use. I used it for BF last year.

rated:
I decided to buy the washer and dryer pair mentioned in my earlier post. Maybe someone else is considering buying a stackable washer and dryer, too, and installing it on the first floor of their house with no previous laundry on that floor. And maybe my experience and how much I paid for everything will help someone.

I compared the prices of various models at L.owes, HD, Sea.rs, Best Bye, and another one or two local stores. The Sam.sung pair I bought seemed to be the best compromise of price, value, and available extended warranty.

Extended warranties are typically not worth what they cost, and the only other one I've purchased was for a vacuum cleaner; if memory serves it was only $7-$8 for three or five years.

All of the salespeople I spoke with admitted that new washers and dryers break down frequently. I think their statistic was approximately 20% require repair in the first two years, and virtually ALL of them require repair by the fifth to seventh year...regardless of their cost or features. Plus, they won't last as long as older models.

L.owes offers an extended five year warranty on both the washer and dryer for $193. That was too good to pass up. All of the other stores' similar extended warranties were considerably more, especially S.ears.  

Here's what I paid for everything:
Washer                          $549
Dryer                              $549
Stacking kit                    $  40
Dryer vent                      $  20   
Hoses                            $  29
Dryer electrical cord      $  24
Extended warranty        $193
--------------------------------------
                                       $1404
NYS sales tax                 $  112
Minus 10% L.owes coupon
                                       $  140

Washer pan                   $  85
Plumber's labor             $155
Plumber's parts             $  90
---------------------------------------
                                      $330
NYS Sales tax               $  14
                                      $344
Total                              $1,720

Minus 1% Discover Card
Minus $50 S.amsung

Net total cost                 $1,653

Lowe.s coupons are readily available on eeBay. I bought five computer printable 10% coupons for $3.90.

I was lucky to find a good plumber who did a good job and whose price was very reasonable. Not everyone will be so fortunate. I expected plumbing labor to be much more.

Don't buy a cheap washer pan. My plumber suggested I buy one from a local plumbing supply store, which is much heavier duty, and includes a center drain which requires an extra hole in the floor to accommodate a separate drain pipe...unlike the one at Low.es, which was flimsy and did not include a proper drain system.

Lowe.s delivered and installed the machines for "free," and did a good job, especially considering they spent quite a bit of time improvising the dryer vent steel hose.

Be aware that a front loading stackable washer/dryer pair will be quite tall. Mine is about 6.5 feet to the top of the dryer. I'm five eleven and have no trouble reaching the top of the dryer, but even I need about a foot-high stool of some kind to reach eye level with the dryer controls. This is no big deal for me, since once I become familiar with the dryer's controls I can stand on tiptoes and push the appropriate dryer buttons if I don't want to bother standing on something.

*EDIT*
Just wanted to ad that after running several loads through both machines, they work great, do not vibrate, are very quiet, and the clothes come out a little cleaner and in general, in a little better condition than with my previous 20+ year old machines. They're also easy to use, although the instructions are lousy. I would have been able to figure out how to run most loads without referring to the instructions.

I do miss the loud buzzers in my old machines that alerted me when the clothes were done washing and when the dryer was done. The little song the new washer plays at the end is not very loud; perhaps the volume can be increased. The dryer doesn't make any sound at all when it's done. It just keeps the clothes from wrinkling by turning on for a few seconds, and then off. Seems to repeat this until the door is opened. I'm really glad I decided to do this.

rated:
Thank you, OP, for a fantastic summary of your experience. 

I am glad to hear that you are pleased with the way they work, and that you had a good plumber and good installers.

For 30 days after your purchase, keep an eye on the Low.es price and relevant other competitors' prices for the exact models of W&D, because Low.es offers a price match guarantee, which in my experience they have been very good in honoring.  An easy way to do that is to set aside a bit of time every Sunday to do a quick search for the 2 items on all the relevant stores' websites, when their new sale prices for that upcoming week have just been published.

rated:
Thanks for the kind words, oppidum. I was planning on checking for price reductions, since as you mentioned the same washer/dryer might become available at a lower price, with the holiday season, etc. November is apparently the best time of year to buy large appliances. And, by the way, Discover card, like many if not most other credit cards, now offers a 90 day price protection guarantees, so I'll definitely be checking prices.

rated:
http://blog.yaleappliance.com/ great place for real data on experiences fixing appliances by brands albeit limited to their own.

rated:
Just discovered that H.ome D.epot has the machines I bought on sale. Each one is $50 less than what I paid at L.owes. I called L.owes and was told I would receive a refund for the difference, even though I used a 10% coupon. I'm not sure I believe her, but will find out when I go to the store, which will be later today.

rated:
I don't know if it applies in the case of your W&D or not,
and I don't know if Low.es will do this,
but it might be worth considering --

If you buy an appliance and an extended warranty on it at Low.es and later get a price-match reduction from Low.es, if the reduction takes the cost of the appliance to a lower price "tier" of the extended warranty plan (for example, if you buy a fridge for $1050 and you buy the extended warranty coverage for appliances that cost between $1000 and $1999 -- or whatever the tier is), you might be able to also get a reduction on the cost of your extended warranty if the pricematch dips you down to a lower tier of warranty cost (in the fridge example, if you found it for $100 cheaper at Be.stB.uy. and got a price match from Low.es, then the fridge would have cost you $950 in effect, and maybe Low.es would also give you a price reduction on your extended warranty plan, to charge you for the plan that covers appliances from $500 to $999, or whatever the next-lowest-tier is).

I mention this especially since your pricematch has taken the cost of your W and D down to $499 each, and that price may (or may not) normally put them into a lower-priced extended warranty plan than they were in when you bought them for $549 each.

(I don't recall what the Low.es extended warranty item-price tiers are, though I do know that there is a change in tier between $999 and $1000.)

rated:
Thanks for the suggestion, oppidum. I'll definitely check to see if it applies to me.

I went to L.owes to see if they would live up to their price protection promise, and after describing my situation to someone at the customer service desk, a very tall (I mean like six and half feet tall) young lady appeared and took over. I felt strange looking up at her the whole time...

Both H.ome D.epot and L.owes had dropped the price on both washer and dryer to $499 each. After squinting at her monitor for a good 20 minutes, she finally managed to figure out how to credit my Discover card with the price difference.

Instead of just providing me with the typical refund receipt (same size and format as a normal receipt, except with minus signs before the amounts), she instead gave me a change order statement, identical to my original letter size order receipt with a title to the effect of "We have changed your order." It was impossible to decipher. It said total discount ~$330, and then near the bottom it indicated the discount was ~$133. What should happen is I should receive a Discover card credit of $100, plus I guess tax. I'll have to keep checking my Discover card account to see what actually comes through.

rated:
My experience is that the Low.es telephone people are fantastic when confirming a pricematch and telling you to get right down to the store so they'll give you the difference, but it's a different kettle of fish when you are at the store and the clerk acts like it's tremendously difficult to know how to go about it, and has to try a few different things, and call a few different people on the phone for help, and not give you a refund in a normal way. The last time I got a price reduction there, they cancelled my entire order and refunded it all to the card (even though the item was at the house and already installed), and then charged my card again for a new order, using the other retailer's price for the item. (Instead of refunding the card just for the $xxx that the pricematching had netted me.)

rated:
I had a similar experience as oppidum when I asked for a price reduction...as described in my previous post.

Well, I waited until today to check my Discover card to see what L.owes had actually charged and credited. They correctly charged my card for the washer, dryer, and related items when I made the purchase instore. That's clear. But instead of crediting me $100 for the price difference on the machines they credited my card for $172.80. I have no idea how they came up with that number, but it's a done deal since it's clearly indicated in my Discover credit card account. Sort of like an early Christmas for me.

I'm not sure if I should inquire about the possibility of a lower extended warranty price due to the lower price of the washer and dryer (as oppidum suggested), because it might result in someone with more, how shall I put it...more brains than the Amazonian-like young lady who originally processed the price difference refund to take a look at what's been done. On the other hand, I do feel a bit guilty about the mistake, since it's in my favor. I'm not sure what to do, but I'm sure I'll do the right thing, whatever that turns out to be .

EDIT: I just checked and apparently the lower washer and dryer prices would not put the machines in a lower price category, which would have resulted in a lower extended warranty price.

rated:
cga said:   I had a similar experience as oppidum when I asked for a price reduction...as described in my previous post.

Well, I waited until today to check my Discover card to see what L.owes had actually charged and credited. They correctly charged my card for the washer, dryer, and related items when I made the purchase instore. That's clear. But instead of crediting me $100 for the price difference on the machines they credited my card for $172.80. I have no idea how they came up with that number, but it's a done deal since it's clearly indicated in my Discover credit card account. Sort of like an early Christmas for me.

I'm not sure if I should inquire about the possibility of a lower extended warranty price due to the lower price of the washer and dryer (as oppidum suggested), because it might result in someone with more, how shall I put it...more brains than the Amazonian-like young lady who originally processed the price difference refund to take a look at what's been done. On the other hand, I do feel a bit guilty about the mistake, since it's in my favor. I'm not sure what to do, but I'm sure I'll do the right thing, whatever that turns out to be .

EDIT: I just checked and apparently the lower washer and dryer prices would not put the machines in a lower price category, which would have resulted in a lower extended warranty price.

Pay it forward in some way. 

rated:
To "cga",

I don't know if this has any bearing on your new Samsung appliances or not -- very probably it does not, and I hope it does not --
but I have just allowed Google to record my internet movements (https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fatwallet/1537079?newest=1#last) in order to log into FW and leave this UK newspaper article here, just for your general info:

"First Samsung’s phones started blowing up. Now its washing machines are doing the same."
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2016/nov/09/how-dangerous-is-your-washing-machine

rated:
oppidum:

Thanks for the information, but I'm aware of the Samsung exploding washer issue, and I looked into it before shopping for a washer and dryer. I'm fairly certain the Samsung problem is confined to top loaders. Both my washer and dryer are front loaders. Also: it's a stacked installation, meaning the dryer sits on top of the washer, and there is absolutely no vibration from either machine. Also, when I load the washer, I merely push a few buttons, make sure it starts, and then go about my business. I don't stand anywhere near the machines while they're doing their thing, except for a few seconds at the very beginning. So I'm pretty sure I'll be OK.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016