• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I have a 2006 Acura TL automatic 6 cylinder and I need a cheap battery where should I go? And is there a coupon code to buy online? I'm in Stockbridge GA

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I bought a battery about a month ago like this, they charged me $20 core ordering online for store pickup. I don't know ... (more)

dealsnmoredeals (Nov. 06, 2016 @ 7:57p) |

Thanks for the detail! While I'm a member, I don't think I have any SpeedPerk $. Still hoping for something on BF or CM.... (more)

Live2Surf (Nov. 07, 2016 @ 12:11a) |

Just experienced the same at Sams that others experienced at Costco - Battery Churning. A Duracell AGM died at 1.1 years... (more)

MilleniumBuc (Nov. 23, 2016 @ 4:01p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Advance Auto Parts.  Google for coupons.

rated:
Why cheap out on something that you only replace every 5-6 years? 

rated:
ach1199 said:   Why cheap out on something that you only replace every 5-6 years? 
  Because this is Fatwallet.

rated:
ach1199 said:   Why cheap out on something that you only replace every 5-6 years? 
  Because there are only a few manufactures of batteries, yet you pay a wide range of price points. Wouldn't you want to get a good price on the same product? 

i second advance auto with coupon, without a coupon, the prices are way to high.

rated:
WalMart

Cheapest https://www.walmart.com/ip/47308797
Value https://www.walmart.com/ip/28275667
Best https://www.walmart.com/ip/28275664 

If you are a Costco member they sell Interstates for a great price. Not really something i would get the cheapest on if you depend on the car.

rated:
Yes, WalMart has the best prices on the auto batteries. I have them in both of my cars, and they are fine, with oldest 6 years old and still ok.

rated:

rated:
keaton85 said:   
  Because there are only a few manufactures of batteries, yet you pay a wide range of price points. Wouldn't you want to get a good price on the same product? 

i second advance auto with coupon, without a coupon, the prices are way to high.

OP asked for a CHEAP battery, not good battery at a good price. 

rated:
digitaldoc said:   Yes, WalMart has the best prices on the auto batteries. I have them in both of my cars, and they are fine, with oldest 6 years old and still ok.
  I finally had to replace the battery in my 2005 Saturn Ion3 and found, at the time, the cheapest (and I think best deal) was at Sears.  Bought on-line using then current sale prices/coupon, and picked up in store. Dropped off bad one and self installed new one.  So far, so good.  Decent warranty as long as Sears continues to exist.  Discussion on that point elsewhere. 

rated:
If you have lots of SYWR points, go to Sears for your battery and use any coupon.

rated:
Costco and AAA have decent prices, best deal is almost always Advance Auto with coupons.

rated:
Sams Club. Good inexpensive name-brand batteries that they'll replace for years on their warranty nationwide at no charge. Only thing is, there's always a long wait to get it done so prepare to walk around the store for a while...

rated:
Cheap batteries can explode. Ten or so years back, I had a honda accord. The battery exploded inside the hood while starting the car. Sulfuric acid all inside the hood. Hood was dented as well.

rated:
Also if you are in a warm/hot region like florida, cheap batteries can die out with only a couple of years use. Heat is a car battery's worst enemy and when it's hot most of the year around it is a year long battle for your battery. The difference between a $60 battery and a $100 battery could be one that last 2 years and one that last 5.

Don't use crappy oil, don't use crappy oil filters, don't be late on your flushes, and don't cheap out on your battery.

.... (course I am still kicking myself for buying a brand new $120 battery for his '05 this year only to sell it for a '16 2 months later)

rated:
I agree with the previous post; cheap batteries run the risk of exploding or overheating. Last time when I had to replace a battery, I got a Sears duralast brand. If you use the sywr and coupons, you can find a good battery at Sears for less than WalMart prices. They didn't even ask me to return the old battery. THe old battery still had plenty of life in it and I sold it on craigslist.

rated:
Replaced a battery in a 06 Hyundai Elantra a few months ago. At the time we found Pep Boys was the cheapest with installation after coupons.

rated:
Sometimes you can pick up a near new battery from a crashed car at the local junk yard / pick-n-pull.

rated:
and Advance Auto will put it in for free... (not that installing them is a big deal... but still a nice service).

rated:
Also if you have nothing to keep your computer powered during the swap, they will.

rated:
your neighbors 2006 Acura TL

rated:
king0fSpades said:   Cheap batteries can explode. Ten or so years back, I had a honda accord. The battery exploded inside the hood while starting the car. Sulfuric acid all inside the hood. Hood was dented as well.
  That doesn't mean it was the batteries fault. The alternator could have easily overcharged the battery and caused a build up of hydrogen, compounded with corroded battery terminals. Or, the battery sat for extended periods of time building up sulfation on the plates, and thus causing hydrogen while charging with a good alternator. Anyway, many causes and a cheap battery doesn't mean that was the issue. Again, there are only a few manufactures of batteries and the cheap one is probably the same one as the more expensive unit at the stealershop.

I personally like going AGM, due to the fact that I let me vehicles sit for extended periods of time without a charge. No way I'm I doing the with a SLA batteries unless I have a charger on it and I good one.

rated:
Rural King Outlet,sells car batteries for $45. Last year they where $39. I bought 4 of them.
Also I use a float charger when not in use.

rated:
advance auto with coupon

rated:
Look at Kmart. I don't know what the deal was, but they had marked a lot of the batteries down to about $35. Same as Sears, but the price was way cheaper, and Shop You Way Rewards made it dirt cheap for an 08 Civic ($29 in rewards ONLY.) And, the core is $5, but I can get $10 elsewhere.

rated:
doveroftke said:   Costco and AAA have decent prices
Yes I found Costco's pricing to be decent, AAA not so much (overpriced and the amount they give for a pro-rated warranty is a joke).

Recently had a Costco purchased car battery die on me. Thankfully it was in its last month of FULL REPLACEMENT warranty. Took bad battery to customer service desk in MAIN club (they don't have any means to test battery you're bringing back). Once verified that it was under the FULL REPLACEMENT warranty period, they refunded the full purchase price + current CORE fee (which has gone up since the battery was originally purchased). Thereafter, headed into AUTO CENTER and purchased a replacement battery (where they charged me what the old battery cost + current CORE fee, so it became an even exchange). Downside is Costco doesn't install batteries (but that's not a deal breaker).

Have since read (on some blog somewhere) that some dude replaces his Costco purchased car battery every 23 months or so (assuming 24 month full replacement warranty) due to the behavior above (where they don't test the old battery when you go to "warranty" it). This way he always has a fresh/working battery in his car (for the price of the initial battery purchase). I think Costco batteries now come w/ a 30 or 36 month warranty (FULL REPLACEMENT) w/ no pro-rated warranty thereafter, so if you want to pull this same stunt, you can wait until the 29th or 35th month to replace it.

rated:
I also had a  bad experience with a Costco battery lasting only 3 years out of 5.  I thought their Interstate batteries were supposed to be a good brand.  Wasted half my day with a dead battery without early warning signs.  Will only consider an OEM Toyota battery or another brand besides Costco after this experience - not worth saving a few dollars.  The replacement Costco battery was smaller than the original, but was their specified replacement,

rated:
In for one. Got a battery from AAP today, following the advice to google coupons(saved 30%), and had it installed for free as well. As someone who can build a computer from the ground up but knows bupkiss about mechanics, this is definitely has value to me. I could probably have gotten a cheaper battery at a megastore and saved $20, but they wouldn't install so for me, this is solid. Thanks above for recommendations.

rated:
i tried Pep Boys, they had bosch batteries with 20- 25% off

rated:
  Because he is selling the car,  that would be somebody else problem.

rated:
Porsche battery linked to death

Just be careful if your battery is inside the vehicle... Under the hood is not a big deal.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Advance Auto Parts.  Google for coupons.
I've been shopping for one for about a month for a project car, figured I'd wait and see if there are any BF deals to be had. On some coupon sites, AAP has a $40 off $100 discount code for their email list (Speed Perks) members- free to join. There is a link here on FW to buy their gift cards for 30% off face value and another one for 30% off $80+, but you can't combine the two until they accept GCs online. If you could stack these deals, you'd be able to buy a $120 battery for about $60 out the door. Their site says they are working on accepting GCs online.

WalMart Value batteries are around $50, the mid range ones are $85-90, and the Maxx ones are over $100.

The last time I bought a battery I got a Costco Interstate for about $70. The battery is about 6 months old, it was the best deal at the time. If their warranty policy holds up, it may be the last one I buy for that car.

I watched a YouTube video

The guy added alum to distilled water and brought an old battery back to life. He's done follow up videos months later and apparently it is holding up. My old battery is an undersized AGM (I've since built a full size battery tray) so I can't use it, otherwise I'd give it a try.

rated:
Live2Surf said:   
you'd be able to buy a $120 battery for about $60 out the door. 

You can already do exactly that. The core charge counts towards the coupon spend minimum when you order online. Once you pick up your new battery and exchange your core, they credit back the full core charge amount to your CC, while the full discount remains intact. 

rated:
Live2Surf said:   
I watched a YouTube video

The guy added alum to distilled water and brought an old battery back to life. He's done follow up videos months later and apparently it is holding up. My old battery is an undersized AGM (I've since built a full size battery tray) so I can't use it, otherwise I'd give it a try.

You can do this, but how well it works depends on how much sulfation is built up on the plates. If the parts of the plates that you can actually see look bad, it may not be worth it. Discharging and recharging (overcharging) can revive it, but sometimes it is more trouble than it's worth. I go by the 3 day rule. I will mess with the charging cycles and load test periodically for 3 days. If after that 3 days, the battery can't maintain a charge for 3 days, I quit messing with it. 

rated:
dealsnmoredeals said:   
Live2Surf said:   
you'd be able to buy a $120 battery for about $60 out the door. 

You can already do exactly that. The core charge counts towards the coupon spend minimum when you order online. Once you pick up your new battery and exchange your core, they credit back the full core charge amount to your CC, while the full discount remains intact. 

Here are the numbers I ran last month:
Battery: $120 + $15 core= $135
Online coupon -$40 off $100+= $95
Old core -$15= $80
Tax +$5.60= $85.60

If I order online, I cannot use their own gift cards to pay. You cannot order online and pay in store.
Advance Auto Parts said: We currently cannot accept Advance Auto Parts gift cards for online purchases. We plan to add this payment method in the near future. In the meantime, you can use your gift card for purchases at any store.

If I use the 30% off GC, it breaks down as follows:
$135 gift card 30% off= $94.50
Old core -$15= $79.50
Tax +$5.57= $85.07

If I pay at the store, I cannot use the online discount code.

If I could pay online w/ the gift card:
Online coupon -$40 off $100+= $95
Old core -$15= $80
Tax +$5.60= $85.60
$86 GC @ 30% off= $60.20

If I have missed a way to get the $120 battery for $60, let me know.

rated:
I bought a battery about a month ago like this, they charged me $20 core ordering online for store pickup. I don't know if this varies by state.

If your battery costs $120 neglecting tax:

With no Speedperks:

$120 battery + $20 Core = $140 - $40 coupon = $100 paid online - $20 core credit at pickup = $80 total (33% off)

With $5 Speedperk:
$120 battery + $20 Core = $140 - $40 coupon -$5 Speedperk = $95 paid online - $20 core credit at pickup = $75 total (37.5% off)

With $20 Speedperk:
$120 battery + $20 Core = $140 - $40 coupon -$20 Speedperk = $80 paid online - $20 core credit at pickup = $60 total (50% off)

This is possible if you have a battery that costs $80 and don't have any Speedperks:
$80 battery + $20 Core = $100 - $40 coupon = $60 paid online - $20 core credit at pickup = $40 total (50% off)

With $5 Speedperk:
$80 battery + $20 Core = $100 - $40 coupon -$5 Speedperk = $55 paid online - $20 core credit at pickup = $35 total (56% off)

With $20 Speedperk:
$80 battery + $20 Core = $100 - $40 coupon -$20 Speedperk = $40 paid online - $20 core credit at pickup = $20 total (75% off)

Basically use the core charge to help meet the coupon minimum. If you order enough and aren't in a high tax state, Speedperks are close to canceling out tax, but they also help you meet the coupon minimum. Since $40 off $100 is 40%, with a $20 core charge, you only have to spend $80 to use the $100 coupon, so it's actually $40/$80 = 50% off. If you always want 40% off, just always spend $100, and you keep getting those $5 Speedperks which enable you to get 45% off $100.($40 +$5 = $45)

If gift cards start being accepted online, it just makes it all that much sweeter, but you will see the discount on those gift cards go down. The reason that they are that cheap is that depending on how you order, you can get a better discount using just coupons and perks. Portal cashback was just recently as high as 12% back, but it is about 4% now.

rated:
Thanks for the detail! While I'm a member, I don't think I have any SpeedPerk $. Still hoping for something on BF or CM.

rated:
Just experienced the same at Sams that others experienced at Costco - Battery Churning. A Duracell AGM died at 1.1 years. They refunded the purchase and bought a gold Duracell for $55 less, and the 3 year non-prorated warranty starts again.

Since it's Florida, they usually die within 3 years. I had always bought at places where they did pro-rated refunds after 1-2 years, so this is pretty much a battery for the life of the car, until they change the policy.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016