• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Does anyone know what companies provide the best cost, pricing and service for automobile drivers.

Thank you

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My take:  you are paying above-market premiums, in exchange for belief, peace-of-mind, etc., that if you file a claim it... (more)

tuphat (Nov. 02, 2016 @ 5:17p) |

Ameriprise sucks ...at best

pietromoon (Nov. 03, 2016 @ 12:08a) |

My son recommended Geico because of the low rates and the way they handled a major accident claim without any issues.
For... (more)

begunn (Nov. 05, 2016 @ 10:09p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You get what you pay for.

USAA and Amica.

rated:
In California I really like Wawanesa. Their rates are great and they've never given me grief when I've had to file a claim. But they do require a clean driving record to join.

rated:
For NJ its NJ manufactures

rated:
costco's ameriprise however statefarm in Georgia and Farmer/21st century in NC gave better deal for me sometime ago

rated:
I have Amica and found the cost to be cheapest also. Excellent claim service.

rated:
Geico has been very good to me, and over the past 6 years, no one has been able to come close to the rate I pay. Before that, I was loyal to Traveler's for many years. I have Amica for homeowners, they are awesome, but have never been able to beat Geico's rate on the car. I'm pretty much convinced it's a fluke, the cheapest I've ever been able to get is double what I currently pay.

rated:
Best is subjective.

The highest rated companies are USAA and AMICA.

Cheap is not always best.

rated:
Check your state's website(s) for any policy pricing data.

rated:
I was with Progressive for many years and just paid the renewal without checking prices. Two years ago I priced several companies and Geico was less than half of what I was paying Progressive.

rated:
linuspb said:   Geico was less than half of what I was paying Progressive.
  Hmmmm ... maybe you can eventually find one that's less than a quarter of what you're paying.  Good luck!

ETA:  If you stick with AMB "Superior" companies, auto insurance is a commodity, although ins co's and agents would like you to think otherwise.  Also, make sure you shop around at renewal time, at least every couple of years.  Ins co's are notorious for "loyalty penalties," esp. on HO policies.

rated:
What works best for one doesn't necessarily work best for another. Unfortunately, the best way to go about it is to actually put in the work to get quotes from all the reputable companies. The prices can be your starting point.

rated:
I started with State Farm in CA, in 1978.
Then many years in NJ, now 20 in VA.

Every once in a while, I get a quote from other companies.

I am still with State Farm.

rated:
tydas said:   For NJ its NJ manufactures
  +1 for NJM  

rated:
Metromile - tied to miles driven. Transparent billing, no surprises during renewal and claim service is quite good (towing mainly). My premium is less than half of what it was with State Farm, where I was getting a multi-policy discount (home and auto).

rated:
NJM is only for Govt employees.

rated:
Most states will have a rate comparison tool. http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm

rated:
i just request a quote from multiple companies once every 6 months & select cheapest quote & prepay for 6 months(for max discount).
since last 2 years Geico gave me better deal than anyone else, so i am with them.

rated:
turtlebug said:   You get what you pay for.

USAA and Amica.

This is exactly correct.  USAA if you can get it (I can't) and AMICA--top rated insurance company by JD Power Associates for years.  I'll take a slightly higher premium (I'd save only 32.00 a year---I check every year) to be with a company who has my back when there is a problem.  I love AMICA--I have both home and auto with them.  

rated:
In my experience, any insurance company will beat your current insurance plan to win your business. In time, your rate will climb to the point that the next company will compete on price. How much you pay in premiums is VERY important as long as you do not need to file a claim. Once you file a claim, things change. We overpay for Liberty Mutual. We do this because they treat us right when things go wrong. If my house burns to the ground, I trust LM to take care of things because of the way they have handled auto claims.

rated:
For me, nothing beats Costco Ameriprise. I priced them all. Progressive was 3x as much. Even Geico and travellers couldnt touch it. YMMV.

rated:
Does anyone think if a customer stays in one insurance company for a while, the rate will be worse?
That's why we take time to shop around insurance co. Sometimes?

E.g.) Time Warner monthly internet fee will go back to regular price after the first year.

rated:
Pemco has great customer service and was much lower price than anyone. Pemco is limited to the Northwest states.

rated:
stardent said:   Metromile - tied to miles driven. Transparent billing, no surprises during renewal and claim service is quite good (towing mainly). My premium is less than half of what it was with State Farm, where I was getting a multi-policy discount (home and auto).
  Second that. In North East PA beats Geico and Liberty Mutual by at least 300 dollars a year with lower deductible. Excellent claim service as well.

rated:
smallfat said:   Does anyone think if a customer stays in one insurance company for a while, the rate will be worse?
That's why we take time to shop around insurance co. Sometimes?

E.g.) Time Warner monthly internet fee will go back to regular price after the first year.

always has for me

rated:
aks123 said:   NJM is only for Govt employees.
  Incorrect

rated:
We've been with Amica for about 10 years (home & auto) and are very happy with them.

rated:
I had USAA for 30+ years. When my house was broken into and my car was stolen, USAA treated me like DIRT. I had to fight with them over everything. When I told them not to pay a dishonest towing company for storage that was illegal under New York State law, they paid it and added it to my claim. They resisted my demands to remove a fraudulent payment from my claim. I finally had to threaten them with filing an insurance fraud claim on USAA. Imagine an insurance company having an insurance fraud case against them. They finally removed the amount from the claim settlement bringing the amount under $5,000 for both the house and car. It kept my premiums from going up drastically and I was able to go to another insurance company. DO NOT BELIEVE USAA 'S ADVERTISING HYPE!! Google USAA complaints. Your eyes will be opened. USAA is living off past glory. They also have a slush fund called the Subscriber Savings Account. They keep your money in case of their need to remain solvent. I received $6,000.00 upon closing my policies. How much money are they holding that belongs to you?

rated:
OP asked about BEST RATED companies. Cost is one component, service is another.

I am not a USAA member, I use AMICA. However, I have had to make two USAA claims in the past few years, one for an estate, and one for a relative that was injured by a USAA policy holder.

For the estate, USAA went above and beyond in my opinion. First was damage caused at time of death (details aren't necessary). USAA replaced everything, even though neither they nor I knew exactly what was destroyed. We had a discussion, came up with a list, and then they paid based on their "upper tier" which tied with the deceased's overall possessions. In addition, the apartment complex wanted their costs paid for. Part of a multi-billion company by the way. USAA said that under the law in the state, neither the deceased nor the estate had to pay anything, that it was the landlord's obligation and they should have insurance (or be self-insured) to cover it. They paid a token $1,000 and advised us to pay no more.

On an injury case, both the injured and the at fault party had USAA. USAA was very careful to draw the line and went so far as to not even agree to exchange paperwork IF the injured approved it. They also made an inadequate offer. I leveraged that into a more acceptable offer, but it was a PITA. I found them difficult to work with, but I do acknowledge that they were acting as the at fault parties insurance company.

I cannot say enough about AMICA. If you go with a cheap company, expect lousy service or have them drop you. Not AMICA. I get personalized attention from assigned reps, and have been with them for 36 years.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   I cannot say enough about AMICA. If you go with a cheap company, expect lousy service or have them drop you. Not AMICA. I get personalized attention from assigned reps, and have been with them for 36 years.
  My take:  you are paying above-market premiums, in exchange for belief, peace-of-mind, etc., that if you file a claim it will be handled measurably "better" than it would if you went with a carrier offering lower premiums.

Personally, I have written many more checks to insurance companies than they have ever written to me.  Just as you are confident that you are making the right choice for you, I am confident that I am making the right choice for me, i.e., within a relevant range, P&C insurance is a commodity.  I am also blessed enough with resources that I am able to self-insure first dollars, for high deductibles.

rated:
anusha123 said:   costco's ameriprise 
Ameriprise sucks ...at best

rated:
Hunny156 said:   Geico has been very good to me, and over the past 6 years, no one has been able to come close to the rate I pay. Before that, I was loyal to Traveler's for many years. I have Amica for homeowners, they are awesome, but have never been able to beat Geico 's rate on the car. I'm pretty much convinced it's a fluke, the cheapest I've ever been able to get is double what I currently pay.
My son recommended Geico because of the low rates and the way they handled a major accident claim without any issues.
For me they were approx. 40% less than any other quote.
I didn't even have to talk to a human for a broken windshield claim, everything was done online.
Also tried to obtain homeowner's insurance through Geico, but since we were already insured with their partner, Liberty Mutual, there was no savings to be had.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016