• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Unlike VHS tapes that could only be watched so many times, today's Digital Movies (Disney, Vudu , Google Movies) are available for ever and anywhere.

The do you find the anywhere and forever valuable, or low in value?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Eh... you own a specific format for life. Vudu has SD, HD, HDX - who's to say that a better format comes out and all the latest TVs have it, and then you're stuck on SD or HD?

And you own a bunch of digital bits, ones and zeros from a provider that may not be around in 10 years.

rated:
I don't think it's a good value. How many times do you really watch a movie? When I was younger I could watch a favorite movie multiple times, but never enough to make owning it worthwhile. As I grow older, I am less interested in movies, and will watch even a good movie only once.

rated:
The value? You can't resell it hence it's worth gold to the studios.

rated:
I like that they do not take space and we can find them when we want. I don't know that I expect them to last forever, but these things didn't really resell for anything in physical formats, and space is at a premium. They're also easier to watch at a different location, watch when you cannot sleep without going to scrounge through a collection, etc. The convenience is more of a benefit than the time.

I find that to be a larger benefit for books though. Now, I mostly end up with ebooks and used books, and I am really torn on the used books being so cheap but needing shelf space.

I do prefer to stick with a larger, diverse company, if there isn't a version without DRM.  I do not expect Google to vanish for a very, very long time, though it may change a lot.  Of course, they are more prone to ditching unprofitable products than some companies... but so far they haven't ditched products that removed a lot of purchased library items or similar things - I could easily see them ceasing to sell more at some point.  I'd be a little more hesitant with a company that ONLY sold that digital media, for books.  Movies, I'm less prone to watch years later, so if they last several years after purchase, it probably wouldn't be a massive loss.  Books, I would prefer last indefinitely, as I do go back and read old books (with the exception of outdated tech books).  Books are more likely to be cracked or have DRM removed and stored locally if a large company went out of the business though, and then I'd mostly lose the convenience of their cloud storage.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016