• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: DEAL DISCUSSION, TRAVEL DISCUSSION, DEAL DISCUSSION. — Dec. 8, 2016 @ 8:13pm
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Except you have a choice in flying...

Driving not so much...

needhelpplease (Nov. 07, 2016 @ 9:55p) |

Well you also have a choice in driving. Some people just bike and others just take public transportation like the bus.

henry33 (Nov. 07, 2016 @ 10:04p) |

After the accident in Florida ValuJet purchased AirTran which was a small puddle jumper in Orlando.  They operated a han... (more)

kriskos4 (Nov. 12, 2016 @ 4:13a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Thanks. Note to myself: Don't fly Allegiant !!!! No deal is worth your life -and you saw that on FatWallet ...

rated:
article said: Southwest had the lowest rate of problems last year. It had about one in 10,000 flights end in unexpected landings

rated:
I wont fly Allegiant now. What good is "saving money" if your not around to spend it.

rated:
I flew them about 10 times, without any issues.
They had many $19 each way flights from XNA to Vegas, Daytona, etc
However they are no longer a bargain for me, I miss the good old days

rated:
Thank God I didn't even know Allegiant existed before today.

rated:
I took advantage of several of their $19 and $49 flights to Las Vegas and LA. I always noticed how dirty and aging the planes looked but figured that they are required to go through the same rigorous maintenance as any other airline on their critical systems. Guess no one is keeping this stuff in check.

rated:
If allegiant is not safe, what are the other options flying in west coast? Any suggestions?

rated:
smallfat said:   If allegiant is not safe, what are the other options flying in west coast? Any suggestions?
  See above, it's southwest
Though didn't southwest get grounded when their inspections were being 'delayed'?

rated:
Not sure why the Jones guy was fearing for his life, with the only problem being no brakes. The plane doesn't need brakes.
And the one descending fast was normal operating procedure when you have pressurization issues.

"The company’s MD-80s fail twice as often as those operated by American Airlines and three times as often as those flown by Delta."
That's because AA/Delta's planes are newer, although both still fly some MD-8x's.
BTW, the one with hydraulic problems in the picture, and the one that had an engine failure were 737's, which is what Southwest flys.

"Though didn't southwest get grounded when their inspections were being 'delayed'?"

Yes:
https://worldairlinenews.com/2015/02/25/southwest-airlines-misses-the-inspections-of-the-standby-hydraulic-systems-on-128-boeing-737-700s-cancels-80-flights-yesterday/ 

Southwest has had their fair share of problems:
https://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/airline/southwest 

Oh, and "repost" 
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1525788 

rated:
Slickone said:   
BTW, the one with hydraulic problems in the picture, and the one that had an engine failure were 737's, which is what Southwest flys.

Not that this adds anything to the coversation, but you sound like a subject mater expert and you're blatantly wrong...well half wrong. Yes, Southwest flies 737's. But No, Allegiant doesn't. 

Comparing Southwest to Allegiant is hardly an apples to apples comparison.

rated:
Flying Alliegiant is definitely "safe," by any reasonable definition. Even if flying them is 10x as risky as flying any other US airline, that means your odds of being killed are something like 1 in six million. You're still much more likely to be killed driving to and from the airport.

I won't fly them, because they're a crappy airline, and, while the maintenance gaps vs. other carriers don't make them "unsafe" on any objective basis, they do reduce their reliability.

rated:
It's all good though - Denzel Washington will save the day after a couple of orange juice vodkas, piloting the plane upside-down in a glide whilst suffering dual engine failure and a busted elevator jackscrew.

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   Flying Alliegiant is definitely "safe," by any reasonable definition. Even if flying them is 10x as risky as flying any other US airline, that means your odds of being killed are something like 1 in six million. You're still much more likely to be killed driving to and from the airport.

I won't fly them, because they're a crappy airline, and, while the maintenance gaps vs. other carriers don't make them "unsafe" on any objective basis, they do reduce their reliability.

funny, that's what people said about ValueJet in the 1990's, until one ended up in the Everglades......

rated:
surprised to see spirit and frontier at the bottom of the list.

rated:
Well now you know what you're getting into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0WdJx-Wkw

rated:
Thanks for the article. I sent my senator a note encouraging him to further legislation or the conversation about the FAA's data collection reporting methods. A 10-year-old with excel could sort columns by airline, city, date, problem, etc. and tell you where the problems are in our industry but when you store data, separately, on paper, on incomplete forms and don't audit it until disaster strikes...well that's negligent in 2016 in a world of supercomputers. For all the f'n security theater we suffer at airports "for our own good", just requiring airlines to report issues online would to more than all the eager-fingered TSA agents in the world for our safety.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   
cestmoi123 said:   Flying Alliegiant is definitely "safe," by any reasonable definition. Even if flying them is 10x as risky as flying any other US airline, that means your odds of being killed are something like 1 in six million. You're still much more likely to be killed driving to and from the airport.

funny, that's what people said about ValueJet in the 1990's, until one ended up in the Everglades......

Didn't the ValueJet management  open up another airline?

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

Didn't the ValueJet management  open up another airline?

There was some kind of merger with AirTran but not sure which management was retained in the end.

rated:
kchunk said:   
Slickone said:   

Not that this adds anything to the coversation, but you sound like a subject mater expert and you're blatantly wrong...well half wrong. Yes, Southwest flies 737's. But No, Allegiant doesn't. 

Comparing Southwest to Allegiant is hardly an apples to apples comparison.

Sorry, I am wrong. For one, I had quickly seen this 737 and thought it was Allegiant with some promo slogan:
http://www.airlinereporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Jet2.j...
But thanks for being so eloquent in pointing out my error.  They do fly 757's, which are similar to 737's (same fuselage). They also fly Airbus A319's, which are a similar style. Point, they're not all MD80's.
You're half wrong too, in that I never compared Allegiant to Southwest.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   

Even on ValuJet (which did just about everything possible wrong, and wasn't in business very long), the fatality rate was only 2x that of driving.

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

Even on ValuJet (which did just about everything possible wrong, and wasn't in business very long), the fatality rate was only 2x that of driving.

Driving not so much...

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
cestmoi123 said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

Driving not so much...

Well you also have a choice in driving. Some people just bike and others just take public transportation like the bus. 

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   

There was some kind of merger with AirTran but not sure which management was retained in the end.

After the accident in Florida ValuJet purchased AirTran which was a small puddle jumper in Orlando.  They operated a handful of propeller driven aircraft.  The 'merger' was done only to get the Air Tran name.  To ValuJet/Air Tran's credit they bought modern aircraft and were bought out by SouthWest airlines 15 years later, don't believe they had an accident since the Everglades thing.

ValuJet was started with ancient Delta DC-9 aircraft that were parked in the desert.  Delta would've been better off chopping the tails off these planes, instead they leased them to a competitor that would ultimately drive them into bankruptcy.  Ironically Delta got AirTran's B717 aircraft on a favorable lease when Southwest swallowed up AirTran (southwest prefers a single airframe, B737).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016