• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I bought the Frigidaire FAD704DUD 70 pint dehumidifier with a deal I posted on FatWallet about 4 years ago. It's been recalled along with a a number of other brands that are manufactured by the same company - GD Midea (is there a dehumidifier that is not made by them???)

There may be a number of us who will be looking for a deal on a new dehumidifier if we choose to take the partial refund of $132.32 instead of the Comfee Brand replacement. 

https://www.recallrtr.com/dehumidifier 
View your remedy type:
Your unit qualifies for either compensation of $132.32 or a Comfee Brand replacement unit with capacity at least equal to your affected unit. Please allow approximately 7-10 days from the time your registration is confirmed for your check to be issued. Please allow approximately 8 weeks from the time your registration is confirmed for your replacement unit to ship. Recall DetailsUnits: About 3.4 million (in addition 850,000 were sold in Canada)

Description: 
This recall involves 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 65, 70, and 75-pint dehumidifiers with the following brand names: Airworks, Alen, Arctic King, Arcticaire, Beaumark, Comfort Star, ComfortAire, Continental Electric, Coolworks, Crosley, Daewoo, Danby, Danby Designer, Dayton, Degree, Diplomat, Edgestar, Excell, Fellini, Forest Air, Frigidaire, GE, Grunaire, Hanover, Homestyles, Honeywell, Hyundai, Ideal Air, Kenmore, Keystone, Kul, Midea, Nantucket, Ocean Breeze, Pelonis, Perfect Aire, Perfect Home, Polar Wind, Premiere, Professional Series, Royal Sovereign, Simplicity, SPT, Sunbeam, Sylvania, TGM, Touch Point, Trutemp, Uberhaus, Westpointe, Winix, and Winixl.Incidents/Injuries: Midea has received 38 reports of smoke and fire. About $4.8 million property damage has been reported. No injuries have been reported.Sold at: Lowes, Menards, PC Richard and other stores nationwide from January 2003 through December 2013 for between $100 and $300.Manufactured in: GD Midea Air Conditioning Equipment Ltd., of China

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Received refund check for my submission. Thanks for posting this OP.

WVBOSSFAN (Nov. 19, 2016 @ 1:28p) |

How long did it take from submission

BarneyFife (Nov. 19, 2016 @ 11:07p) |

Received a check today (Nov. 21). Submitted on Nov. 6. I never received an email or anything other than the first "We ha... (more)

Vibes (Nov. 21, 2016 @ 7:27p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Yep, I see that even though I have the Frigidaire model, my particular unit is not part of the recalled batch. I was able to check this using the serial number lookup tool on the recall site.

rated:
I bought a Supentown (SPT) SD-65E from Amazon in August 2011 and it failed a year later. The manufacturer would not fix it under warranty so it just sat in my basement for years unplugged. I recently got tired of looking at it and trashed it. I never recorded the serial number but the model number and date are on the recall list. I'll call on Monday and see if they will accept a receipt which I still have.

Thanks for the info

rated:
In 2013 I purchased a NIB Frigidaire FAD504DUD from Amazon seller gr8deals327.
Website says my serial number is affected by the recall and they are offering $96.14 or Comfee Brand replacement unit.
The model and serial number are pre-printed on the product registration form, but can't find a model/serial number tag anywhere on the unit.

Edited post...

rated:
begunn said:   In 2013 I purchased a NIB Frigidaire FAD504DUD from Amazon seller gr8deals327.
Can't find a model/serial number tag anywhere.

Did you remove the water tank ?
Did you turn the unit upside down ?
There must be a model / serial number label somewhere on the unit.

rated:
blueribb said:   
begunn said:   In 2013 I purchased a NIB Frigidaire FAD504DUD from Amazon seller gr8deals327.
Can't find a model/serial number tag anywhere.

Did you remove the water tank ?
Did you turn the unit upside down ?
There must be a model / serial number label somewhere on the unit.

Sorry... I edited my post above.
I have a copy of the product registration form and the model and serial number were preprinted on it.
However the unit does not have a tag with that information anywhere on it, pulled the filter, lifted the handle, removed the tank... I even removed the the outer shell except for the control panel.
The only tag is a schematic where the water tank resides.
I may be screwed as they require a picture of a serial tag, but will try option 1B which allows "Label showing serial number on label in secondary location".

rated:
skunker said:   Yep, I see that even though I have the Frigidaire model, my particular unit is not part of the recalled batch. I was able to check this using the serial number lookup tool on the recall site.
  Me too. I was so hoping to get a partial refund as I don't need it anymore. No soap.

rated:
Same issue with my Frigidaire - can't find a serial number label anywhere on the unit - looked on all sides, top, bottom, behind water tank, etc.

rated:
Frugalengineer said:   Same issue with my Frigidaire - can't find a serial number label anywhere on the unit - looked on all sides, top, bottom, behind water tank, etc.
Frustrating...will call the number listed on the claim site and post results here.
1-800-600-3055 7 a.m. - 6  p.m. (Central Time) Monday thru Friday

rated:
Any idea if this "Comfee" brand replacement is any good? I can't find what the 70 pint model would be...

rated:
I had one that I replaced about a year or two ago, and it qualifies!!  Glad I kept it around to eventually recycle.  Selected the replacement.....we'll see what it is.  The $96 is less than half what a new one costs.

rated:
Thanks for the heads up on this, OP! We have a small Sunbeam that is on the list - it qualifies for ~$85. I'll need to check the two that my mother owns, as well.

edit - both of hers are recalled!  Thanks OP!

rated:
I bought an Alen MDF3-70, direct from Alen Corp., in 2013 for $199.  It qualifies for the maximum rebate of $132.32.  Registered through Alen in 2013, giving them my address, phone, and email.  Interesting that I have to find out about the fire hazard/recall in these forums instead of from the company directly.  I guess corporate responsibility doesn't extend to the consumer level.  You have to submit photos confirming the unit qualifies and confirming that it has been rendered unusable by cutting the power cord.

rated:
Thanks OP, otherwise I would never have known about the recall.

I have a 30 pint and a 70 pint, 2012 model, Frigidaire and both have a recall.

Guess I'll take the replacements and hope they work as well, and are also energy efficient.

rated:
HyTekJosh said:   Any idea if this "Comfee" brand replacement is any good? I can't find what the 70 pint model would be...

Looks like Comfee is made by the same company, Midea. That's why I'm thinking about getting the partial refund and buying a brand that is not made by Midea - but it seems like it will be difficult, since they appear to make almost all brands of dehumidifiers.

COMFEE' Trademark Information

GD Midea Air-Conditioning Equipment Co., Ltd. [ Clothes washing machines; laundry centers, namely, a clothes washer combined with a clothes dryer; coin-operated washing machines; wringing machines for laundry; dry-cleaning machines; clothes drying machines; air-cooled condensers; air condensers ]Air conditioning installations; dehumidifiers; refrigerators; humidifiers; ice chests for household purposes, not for carrying with; cooling installations for liquids, namely, thermoelectric cooling unit for beverages; refrigerating cabinets; electric drinking water dispensers; water purification installations 

rated:
Thanks OP, I have dead one that I've been too lazy to recycle, and now it's worth $132. See, laziness pays

rated:
I paid about $180 on Amazon 3 months ago, and now I'm being offered $90 or a replacement.

Not looking forward to a random replacement, but eating $90 is even worse.

EDIT: Amazon is giving me a full refund, and they are providing a prepaid label to mail it back to them. +1 for Amazon!

rated:
Anyone have a photo with power cord cut off that I can use?

rated:
zulugrid said:   I paid about $180 on Amazon 3 months ago, and now I'm being offered $90 or a replacement.

Not right! If it's a name brand like Frigidaire, I'd call them and ask for a replacement from them with their brand name and warranty.

rated:
zulugrid said:   I paid about $180 on Amazon 3 months ago, and now I'm being offered $90 or a replacement.

So the machine you bought 3 months ago was manufactured more than 8 years ago?

" Consumers whose dehumidifiers were manufactured before October 1, 2008 will receive a partial refund, not a replacement."

rated:
VegasVegan said:   

So the machine you bought 3 months ago was manufactured more than 8 years ago?

" Consumers whose dehumidifiers were manufactured before October 1, 2008 will receive a partial refund, not a replacement."

No, it was manufactured at the beginning of this year. I'm being offered $90 or a replacement, emphasis on "or". But I don't want a replacement. I want my money back so I can buy the dehumidifier of my choice instead of whatever random junk they decide to send me.

rated:
I like how this dehumidifier is still being sold on eBay sellers

rated:
DeFiantROA said:   I like how this dehumidifier is still being sold on eBay sellers

you've got a lot of free time on your hands pal 

rated:
Surprised that Hisense is not on the list. First one crapped out in less than a year. Warranty replacement now dying one year later.

rated:
Has anyone been able to get through to anyone on the phone #? Was on hold basically from 9-10:05AM Eastern 4-5pm eastern and no one ever answered!

rated:
Submitted for a replacement.

rated:
dilbert said:     
...That's why I'm thinking about getting the partial refund and buying a brand that is not made by Midea - but it seems like it will be difficult, since they appear to make almost all brands of dehumidifiers.

LG

rated:
Rockford Illinois local news tonight...house fire caused by dehumidifier.

rated:
My 70 pint Frigidaire (not part of this deal, was $200 Amazon) qualifies. I can't even find a comfee model that is 70 pints. One question is will the replacement have a hose drain option (maybe they all do at that size)? But I may have to roll the dice.

rated:
Bagofchips said:   My 70 pint Frigidaire (not part of this deal, was $200 Amazon ) qualifies. I can't even find a comfee model that is 70 pints. One question is will the replacement have a hose drain option (maybe they all do at that size)? But I may have to roll the dice.

Same here...trying to figure out what brand/model the 70 pint replacement would be. Have spent hours on hold and no one answers the phone #.

rated:
Midea's product website offers no clues. WalMart carries this 70-pint branded as Midea (has drain connect).

rated:
nerraw00 said:   Submitted for a replacement.
   Please let us know which one you're replacing and what you get as a replacement.

rated:
Received refund check for my submission. Thanks for posting this OP.

rated:
How long did it take from submission

rated:
Received a check today (Nov. 21). Submitted on Nov. 6. I never received an email or anything other than the first "We have your submission" email.

I submitted another for a check, and one for a dehumidifier replacement on Nov. 8. No word, yet.

EDIT: Received the second check on December 6.  No word on the replacement dehumidifier.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016