• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Years ago I bought a pair of nice and nice looking hiking boots and they lasted for many years. After they wore out I bought several of various brands but the bottom (heels especially ) seems to be soft and wear out quickly. Is there any place I can determine how long the sole and heals last by brand? 

PS: I like the ones that are somewhat insulated because my feet get cold easy. Also I have lost faith in consumer reports on things like this.
THANKS

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Take a look at the Hitec Altitude.

rated:
Take the boots to a cobbler, yes they're still around, and ask for metal/lubber heel plates. https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Shoe-Metal-Plates-Nails/dp/B00X71Q6...

rated:
"heels"

rated:

rated:
Are you hiking the wilderness or the concrete jungle. Most hiking boots have been reformulated for flexibility. They still last decades if used for their intended purpose. Much less so on concrete and asphalt. Also, some people have a stride that is particularly hard on heels. Unfortunately, it is pretty difficult to change something as ingrained as your stride. Although, you could consult with a podiatrist.

rated:
I've had great luck with Asolo... also, try brands with Vibram soles... seem more consistent than those that use a proprietary sole.

rated:
Go to REI and get a good quality boots. They will replace them if they wear out in under a year. I also second Vibram soles.

rated:
If you're using them for actual climbing and hiking in hills and over rocks, then make sure you buy shoes with a steel shank.  Otherwise the sole will eventually split.  Double-ditto on the Vibraum brand. 

rated:
Should have bought LL Bean boots. Lifetime warranty.

rated:
You might find some likeminded folks at https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/

rated:
bookreader54321 said:   Should have bought LL Bean boots. Lifetime warranty.

Yeah, there's various stores that offer a lifetime warranty on boots. There's a still a few out there like LL Bean that offer a lifetime warranty. Or there are stores that offer a lifetime warranty if you buy the boots there. 

rated:
For Cheap and quick alternative, try out Ozark Trail hiking shoes from WalMart. The WalMart Customer reviews seems to claim that they are good.

rated:

rated:
I usually hike 10-20 miles a week and wear out at least 2 pair of boots a year. I currently have Vasque hiking boots with Vibram soles which suggested list price for well over $200. They seem to be wearing out at about same rate as the several pair of the suggested list $100.00 Hi-tek boots that I have worn in the past. The Vasque are certainly the best quality boots I've ever owned. Take in consideration that you get what you pay for. For your safety and comfort, I suggest buying a good quality hiking boot. I've tried on about a 100 pair of boots over the past 5 years and I think Hi-tek makes some good quality boots for the money paid starting at about $80.00 list price. Boots under the $80.00 price range are junk in my opinion. Big-5 Sporting Goods carry Hi-tek at big discounts off the suggested retail so you can get a decent pair for about $60.00. Otherwise, go to REI and get a higher quality boot starting at about $150.00.

rated:
I'm about to stop wearing anything on my feet that isn't made by KEEN. I'm up to two pair of sandals, a pair of Oxfords, and two pair of hiking boots from them and I'm happy with them all. The only thing they don't make are dress shoes, but I rarely need those these days.

rated:
SecondGunman said:   I'm about to stop wearing anything on my feet that isn't made by KEEN. I'm up to two pair of sandals, a pair of Oxfords, and two pair of hiking boots from them and I'm happy with them all. The only thing they don't make are dress shoes, but I rarely need those these days.
  I've only heard good things about Keen. 

rated:
hermosatrout5 said:    I've tried on about a 100 pair of boots over the past 5 years 
That comes to over 3 pair of boots every 2 months?

rated:
hermosatrout5 said:   
SecondGunman said:   I'm about to stop wearing anything on my feet that isn't made by KEEN. I'm up to two pair of sandals, a pair of Oxfords, and two pair of hiking boots from them and I'm happy with them all. The only thing they don't make are dress shoes, but I rarely need those these days.
  I've only heard good things about Keen. 

I love them.  I bought a pair of UNEEK sandals because I thought they looked cool and they might fit my wide feet since the uppers are just paracord.  They're super comfortable.  I'd live in them if I could wear them to work.  I ended up with two pair of those in two different colors.  Then I thought I'd try their hiking boots when I accidentally left my last pair in a hotel room in New Orleans.  Oops.  That turned into two pair of KEEN boots when I found a really good deal on a second pair.  Then I wondered what they made that I could wear to work with a pair of khakis, so I ended up with a pair of Reisen Oxfords.  

At this point all I wear are KEEN shoes/sandals, one pair of Saucony trail running shoes that are on their last legs, and a couple pair of Johnston & Murphy dress shoes when the need arises.

rated:
Thanks to everyone that gave your input. Now I need to go shopping.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016