• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
DD Forum:
I am an existing Verizon customer who is disenchanted with their "monthly" pricing for phones, where you essentially pay full retail value over 24 months.  When I visited a local store they tried to sell me a Google Pixel and I do not want to be among the first users to find the bugs in this device.

Of all places to buy a phone, Dollar General is showing a Moto G Play (and HTC Desire) for $29 on Black Friday.   If I purchase one and bring it to the Verizon store, will they provide a SIM card and activate this line on my account?  Any risk they will refuse?   FYI my current device is a Moto X 2nd gen.

Thanks in advance.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
"We do not lock our 4G devices, other than our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones. In order to partially offset the subsidy we provide to make our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones more affordable to service customers, our 4G Phone-in-a-Box phones may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation date or until payments in the amount specified on the back of the Phone-in-a-Box package are added to the Prepaid account."

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016/09/verizon-increasing-ranso... 

"Until this change, Verizon allowed prepaid phones to be used on MVNOs or on Verizon postpaid, provided they had been activated on Verizon Prepaid and the first month's payment made."

Having posted this you might get a better answer on the Verizon sub-forum over at Howardforums. Personally I have activated old LTE Verizon phones on Tracfone and been able to immediately use that SIM in a new Verizon prepaid phone w/o paying a monthly ransom, just the cost of an old Verizon phone on eBay

rated:
Interesting.  So the $29 devices Dollar General is selling require a prepaid plan for activation?  They cannot replace a device on an existing plan?

rated:
avidfan said:   Interesting.  So the $29 devices Dollar General is selling require a prepaid plan for activation?  They cannot replace a device on an existing plan?
  Don't know. I can do it with Tracfone Verizon. Their current terms specify 12 months on prepaid before moving the device to postpaid. Like I posted you might want to check Verizon sub-forum on Howardforums for an answer. I'm willing to bet there's a thread on this subject in the Verizon forum. If you are on Verizon prepaid plan there's another separate sub-forum for that.

rated:
avidfan said:   DD Forum:
I am an existing Verizon customer who is disenchanted with their "monthly" pricing for phones, where you essentially pay full retail value over 24 months.  When I visited a local store they tried to sell me a Google Pixel and I do not want to be among the first users to find the bugs in this device.

Of all places to buy a phone, Dollar General is showing a Moto G Play (and HTC Desire) for $29 on Black Friday.   If I purchase one and bring it to the Verizon store, will they provide a SIM card and activate this line on my account?  Any risk they will refuse?   FYI my current device is a Moto X 2nd gen.

Thanks in advance.

I hear you.  I think the Pixel line will be nice but I wouldn't want to be a bug catcher at that price.  I am seriously looking at the Moto Z line and the Pixel line but only after they have been out for a while.

rated:
avidfan said:   Interesting.  So the $29 devices Dollar General is selling require a prepaid plan for activation?  They cannot replace a device on an existing plan?
The current Verizon prepaid policy is 12 months on prepaid.  They most likely will not allow a prepaid device on an existing plan without some, if not all of the 12 months completed.  The prepaid phone price is subsidized, that is why the low cost and requirement for service.  You can always try it and see what happens but seriously doubt they will just replace without some sort of prepaid service history on the phone.  

rated:
or just use as wifi device for kids.

rated:
What is the success rate for walking in with an unlocked (eBay) phone and asking them to provide a SIM card to marry it your existing plan?     Is this a safe tactic so long as the phone is among the models sold in V stores?

rated:
I've bought a few Verizon phones on eBay and they activated them without question. Of course I believe they were unlocked properly

rated:
avidfan said:   What is the success rate for walking in with an unlocked (eBay) phone and asking them to provide a SIM card to marry it your existing plan?     Is this a safe tactic so long as the phone is among the models sold in V stores?
I suspect it's somewhere around 100% as long as the phone is Verizon compatible, has a clean ESN, and is unlocked. The only grumbling I have heard is when they run out of Sims. Then you have to wait or go to another store.

avidfan said:    Is this a safe tactic so long as the phone is among the models sold in V stores?

lol, you sound like you are committing a crime. Verizon doesn't even need to sell that model. It does need to be Verizon compatible though.

rated:
avidfan said:   What is the success rate for walking in with an unlocked (eBay ) phone and asking them to provide a SIM card to marry it your existing plan?     Is this a safe tactic so long as the phone is among the models sold in V stores?
  If it is a Verizon phone and clean ESN (which you can check on Verizon website), it is pretty close to 100%.  Other unlocked phones may or may not work as Verizon has to have the phone ESN in their database and the phones have to support the Verizon bands, which many GSM unlocked phones do not have.  So if you have a phone that checks out, the odds are very good of getting a sim and having it work.  

rated:
Interesting nugget of information that I want to share with the Forum.

Just got off the phone with a V rep and was told that for 4G devices, I must maintain a minimum of ONE MONTH of prepaid service before I can roll the device onto my existing postpaid plan.   So assuming this is accurate info, here is what I plan to do:

1. Buy a $29 V phone at Dollar General on BF
2. Activate the phone with the most basic plan possible and keep active for one month.   The phone # is irrelevant as I will basically put the device in a drawer and continue to use my cracked-screen phone.
3. Call V after one month and activate the device (and add to my plan) using my current phone #.   Total projected out-of-pocket....around $60.

I will report back just after Xmas with the result!

rated:
Can the Moto G Play be used on TMobile, like the Verizon Moto E?   I also see unlock codes on eBay, but the sellers don't specify if the unlock will get you onto AT&T or TMobile.

rated:
sportsfan64 said:   Can the Moto G Play be used on TMobile, like the Verizon Moto E?   I also see unlock codes on eBay, but the sellers don't specify if the unlock will get you onto AT&T or TMobile.

I believe the Moto G Play is a CDMA phone with a Data GSM SIM card. Therefore, it depends on the supported cell tower/phone frequency. For example, if you use T-Mobile, lets say the T-Mobile frequencies are 800, 900, 1200, 1700. Of those frequencies, the Moto G Play only supports 800... this would mean that particular cell tower must also support 800-Mhz, otherwise the cellphone would check for other towers in the area that offers 800Mhz. This would result in spotty texts/calls. As far as data goes, I'm pretty sure the maximum you can obtain is 3G and may or may not also have spotty service due to frequencies.

On Topic: All of my local Dollar Generals only currently have the HTC Desire, which isn't as good as the Moto G Play. So it seems I won't be able to get one!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016