• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I just got this email less than 25 mins ago which is clearly bad news.  I like data so I'm glad I hung on to some of my FreedomPop phones so my 1GB there will probably be better than some of the free plans that I will have to switch to w/ my RingPlus phones. 

Here is the text of the email:=38pxDiscontinued Plans
& Free Holding Plans Notice

Dear Members,

RingPlus has to switch to a new system. Sadly, because of this switch, we will have to discontinue your current plan. Therefore, your current plan can’t be renewed (full list of plans below).

At the end of your billing cycle, we will switch you to a temporary holding plan so that your service is not interrupted. The temporary holding plan will have limited allotments of 200 minutes, 200 texts, 200 MMS, and 200 MB LTE (full speed). 

The temporary hold plan is only active for 30 days. During those 30 days, please choose any of the currently available free or paid plans offered on our website. In the event that you do not choose a new plan within the 30-day period, your account will be suspended (which means you will lose service, but your phone number will be preserved for 30 more days).

In call applications will not be available on our currently offered plans until our new system including a Smart and VoIP Dialer applications will be offered. If you chose to switch to one of our lowest priced paid plans in the U.S. currently offered on our website, you will be able to download a Smart Dialer when the dialer becomes available (if and only if you want to).

Best regards,
RingPlus

List of Discontinued Plans:

Commitment
Commitment (Member+)
Free Plan
Future - Phase 11
Future - Phase 3
Future - Phase 5
Future - Phase 6
Future - Phase 9
Leonardo 2
Leonardo 3
Michelangelo
Midsummer Night's Dream
Seashore (Memorial Day)(Non-Member+ Upgrade)
Truly Free
Truly Free 2
Truly Free 3

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I got the leonardo 2 plan. kinda sucks that they are kicking us off. Will wait til thanksgiving to see if they have any ... (more)

ernie334 (Nov. 23, 2016 @ 4:45p) |

`Leo 3 to Mad Fiesta switch was successful for me  Since it is direct $print voice I'm happy to have it .

BTW...Mad Pops... (more)

Larryslug (Nov. 25, 2016 @ 6:40p) |

Is the rising plan also being discontinued?

fwvm (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 1:07p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I got the same email. You beat me to it by a few minutes.

rated:
I have BLT upgrade, so I hope I am good (for now, at least)! My mom has Future Phase 9, so I hope she is allowed to upgrade now rather than waiting for the so called "switch to a temporary holding plan" and then upgrade.

rated:
On my upgrade plan, I see mad oak. Good to switch to it?

rated:
On my upgrade plan, I see mad oak. Good to switch to it?

rated:
Ugh... these guys.. looks like mad oak is the only free one worth having, but after their past fiascoes I am afraid of throwing $15 at them again just to keep a backup phone alive.

rated:
I can't decipher the plans by names or numbers.

Will my 325min/70txt/10MB a month FREE plans for 2 elderly relatives be canceled?

If so what's the cutoff date?

And anywhere else to go for free or near free?

The phone #s don't matter.

But the phones do. They're way too elderly to learn to use new phones.

Thank you.

rated:

rated:
I pulled the trigger on changing to Mad Oak from Michelangelo. It paid the $15 top off from the balance I had.

rated:
login to the ringplus site and you should see what plan you are currently on.

rated:
I didn't get the email but have 5 days to renew. Coming from Commitment with 3.5gb a month to 750mb? And have to use a dialer??? CC charge back...

rated:
with my data needs; FreedomPop is the way to go. not going to bother with ringplus if it requires a topup to convert over.
In the other website it seems like it will do away with all the free plans with topups as well in the future... not sure if i will charge back on that.

rated:
Got the same notice.

I have a Sprint Moto E as my RingPlus phone. What happens to it if let my plan lapse? I can't add it back to RingPlus again someday if I lapse because Sprint won't allow it to be activated under the new rules, right? At that point I could only use it on Sprint itself?

rated:
 (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ) 

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   Got the same notice.

I have a Sprint Moto E as my RingPlus phone. What happens to it if let my plan lapse? I can't add it back to RingPlus again someday if I lapse because Sprint won't allow it to be activated under the new rules, right? At that point I could only use it on Sprint itself?

Same here except I have not received the notice. I am on the "Phoenix" plan FWIW. I have the same phone and signed up last April right before the FED rule kicked in.

I have researched the question of what happens if Ringplus goes belly up but have not been able to find the answer.

I suppose I can use the phone to sign up with Sprint but their plans stink for my usage pattern. I just use the phone mostly for emergencies and occasionally to get directions.

Is FreedomPop a Sprint MVNO? Can I use my MotoE with them?

edit: Someone at SD suggested willmyphonework 
Entered info for my MotoE and they say will work on FreedomPop 
Took a quick look at the FreedomPop website and they will not tell me if it is available in my region when I enter a 10minutemail email address.
So screw them, I will wait until RingPlus cancels me and then worry about an alternative carrier

rated:
tello prepaid 

rated:
ScottMalinowski said:   I pulled the trigger on changing to Mad Oak from Michelangelo. It paid the $15 top off from the balance I had.
  From posts I've read on Howardforums you need >= $5.01 balance to upgrade to Mad Oak without getting hit for $15 + tax for the Mad Oak plans. Upgrade takes effect on your next billing cycle.

rated:
thats correct. if you dont want to spend 15+, you can see if your top up min is $10. then, just top up $10 and then switch.

rated:
be aware, that some account has a $25 min for top up

rated:
I still have the original $10 top-up in my RingPlus account from when I originally signed up for the Future - Phase 6 plan.

It looks like the only free plan I'm able to "upgrade" to is the "Mad Oak" plan but that requires $15 top-up. Does that mean if I sign up, RingPlus would charge me $5 or $15? It's probably worth $5, probably not worth $15 at this point as I barely use the phone (spare) at all and mostly on WiFi anyway. The "upgrade" is really a downgrade to fewer minutes and less data and still no tethering...

rated:
So, when do you guys think RingPlus is going to croak?

rated:
I'm surprised they have lasted this long.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   I'm surprised they have lasted this long.
  Before we jump to any conclusions or predictions, please keep in mind that they have not discontinued all the plans. From what I can see, they are getting rid of the plans that are not cost effective and I don't blame them for having to do that, as any company would do the same. 

rated:
I'll hold off until Thanksgiving, maybe they'll roll out a new Turkey plan.

rated:
love4money said:   
  Before we jump to any conclusions or predictions, please keep in mind that they have not discontinued all the plans. From what I can see, they are getting rid of the plans that are not cost effective and I don't blame them for having to do that, as any company would do the same. 

They have a bunch of free plans (BLT etc) and I have three phones with these plans. I barely use them (back up phones etc) but I have about a 100 dollars up in  these free accounts. I am not sure how cost- effective FREE accounts are. On the other hand they are barely used so maybe it is cost- effective.

rated:
Onenote said:   edit: Someone at SD suggested willmyphonework 
Took a quick look at the FreedomPop website and they will not tell me if it is available in my region when I enter a 10minutemail email address.
So screw them, I will wait until RingPlus cancels me and then worry about an alternative carrier

That just tells you if your phone will work radio-wise. Pretty sure if your phone does not pass FED you will not be able to activate it on FP.

rated:
so no more truly free plans???

rated:
zeugma said:   
Onenote said:   edit: Someone at SD suggested willmyphonework 

That just tells you if your phone will work radio-wise. Pretty sure if your phone does not pass FED you will not be able to activate it on FP.

You are right. I broke down and gave FreedomPop one of my spam catcher email addresses and the phone did not pass their test.

Ting will allow me to activate the phone with them  but their cheapest pay as you go plan is about $100 a year. And that might be some kind of error since I did not go ahead and finish the activation of course.

So I will wait to see what develops at Ringplus. If I can squeeze a few more months of service out of them the phone will have paid for itself.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   I still have the original $10 top-up in my RingPlus account from when I originally signed up for the Future - Phase 6 plan.

It looks like the only free plan I'm able to "upgrade" to is the "Mad Oak" plan but that requires $15 top-up. Does that mean if I sign up, RingPlus would charge me $5 or $15? It's probably worth $5, probably not worth $15 at this point as I barely use the phone (spare) at all and mostly on WiFi anyway. The "upgrade" is really a downgrade to fewer minutes and less data and still no tethering...

I got the email yesterday.  I was on the Leonardo 2 plan with a $15 topup balance.  I changed to the Mad Oak plan, and the $15 balance was transferred to that plan with no additional cost to me.  Based on that, I think you would only pay the $5 difference, plus any applicable taxes.  

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   I still have the original $10 top-up in my RingPlus account from when I originally signed up for the Future - Phase 6 plan.

if you switch to mad oak, it would not cost you anyting money, since you already have $10 in your account.

rated:
love4money said:   

None of their free promotional plans are cost effective in the long term.   I don't blame them for cutting them off, it is obvious that the purges of the free plans is a part of their business model. I do blame them for shady marketing strategies and setting unrealistic expectations with the customers.  As much as everybody likes to complain about FreedomPop, their service and products have been more reliable and consistent in the last year compared to R+.

rated:
cli168 said:   

if you switch to mad oak, it would not cost you anyting money, since you already have $10 in your account.

I think the $15 requirement means I am $5 short...

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   
cli168 said:   

No you just need $5.01 or greater balance. I did this yesterday. Cost me nothing.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   
cli168 said:   

if you have more that $5, it will cost you nothing, i had 6.81 in my account, and i switch today, did not cost me anything.
you can also check it out before the actual switch, goto upgrade plan, choose the mad oad plan, choose credit card, it will should you how much it will cost you.

rated:
They're missing the 'Downgrade' button on their website

rated:
OP said: Commitment

Is it just me, or does this change show a lack of commitment on RingPlus's part?

rated:
Redbeard25 said:   

Is it just me, or does this change show a lack of commitment on RingPlus's part?

Right, and giving them more money is ridiculous. Cause they can go ahead and change the requirements at any time...

rated:
rsuaver said:   
Redbeard25 said:   

Right, and giving them more money is ridiculous. Cause they can go ahead and change the requirements at any time...

for me, i had 4 lines for over a year.  I have only gave them $50.  $50 for 4 lines for 1 year.  thats nothing...
how much have you top up already?

rated:
I'm on HipHop2, so I guess I'm safe for now.

Skipping 16 Messages...
rated:
Is the rising plan also being discontinued?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016