• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I haven't flown United in more than 15 years. I guess there's no reason to start now!

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   I haven't flown United in more than 15 years. I guess there's no reason to start now!
  Why not, if based entirely on this factor.  The linked article says that this will be part of a new "Basic Economy" class designed to compete with low cost airlines, and does not mention current classes at all.  If all other classes stay the same (meaning there may be more room in the carry on compartments for people who are not Basic Economy, and less people to watch trying to leave with your bag because they think it's theirs), deciding not to patronize them is like deciding not to patronize a publisher of hardcover books because they decide, without changing anything about their hardcover publishing, they will also offer you softcover editions.  

rated:
I'm one of those people who never checks bags, even though my primary airline, Southwest, offers me two free checked bags. I don't like the extra hassle of checking bags. So I would not be buying a ticket with any airline that won't allow me to carry on my bag.

Why would I fly United instead of Southwest? Will United be better in some other way? Offering a lower class of service than Southwest offers to all of its passengers doesn't seem like a way to get me to start flying them.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   I'm one of those people who never checks bags, even though my primary airline, Southwest, offers me two free checked bags. I don't like the extra hassle of checking bags. So I would not be buying a ticket with any airline that won't allow me to carry on my bag.

Why would I fly United instead of Southwest? Will United be better in some other way? Offering a lower class of service than Southwest offers to all of its passengers doesn't seem like a way to get me to start flying them.

I refuse to patronize a sit down restaurant that also offers take out!
I refuse to buy fruit from a company that, besides having the large, pretty, waxed apples for $2.99 a pound, also sells those 3 pound bags of small ones for $4.99!
I refuse to buy Stella Artois, because the company also makes Budweiser!
I refuse to send anything using the United States Postal Service, because besides Registered, Certified, Express and Priority mail, they also offer First Class, Bulk and Media Mail, and Parcel Post!
I refuse to allow anyone to pass the Grey Poupon to me, because the company also makes Kraft mustard!

rated:
cows123 said:   
ahallfatwallett said:   I'm one of those people who never checks bags, even though my primary airline, Southwest, offers me two free checked bags. I don't like the extra hassle of checking bags. So I would not be buying a ticket with any airline that won't allow me to carry on my bag.

I refuse to buy fruit from a company that, besides having the large, pretty, waxed apples for $2.99 a pound, also sells those 3 pound bags of small ones for $4.99!
I refuse to send anything using the United States Postal Service, because besides Registered, Certified, Express and Priority mail, they also offer First Class, Bulk and Media Mail, and Parcel Post!
I refuse to allow anyone to pass the Grey Poupon to me, because the company also makes Kraft mustard!

I refuse to buy into your rather poor analogies and sad excuses for an airline that has been and still remains in decline for the last 15 years.  

rated:
greling said:   
cows123 said:   

I refuse to buy into your rather poor analogies and sad excuses for an airline that has been and still remains in decline for the last 15 years.  

If you and your friend won't fly an airline that won't allow you to carry on your bag BECAUSE you choose to buy a ticket for a super economy class that doesn't allow you to carry on bags when you can choose to buy a ticket for classes that do, you should  obviously go elsewhere.  If you want a forum discussion regarding the state of United, I suggest you OP it, as that does not seem to be the topic of the referenced and linked article that is the basis of this discussion.

rated:
​'Bout damn time.  All airlines should ban all carry-ons. 

• They could board and leave in about 5 minutes.
  • ​Security would be immeasurably easier
  • We could all get off the plane in about 5 minutes.

WTF?

rated:
Claymore said:   ​'Bout damn time.  All airlines should ban all carry-ons. 

• They could board and leave in about 5 minutes.
  • ​Security would be immeasurably easier
  • We could all get off the plane in about 5 minutes.

WTF?

And we'd waste even more time checking in our bags and waiting at the baggage carousel at the end of the flight

rated:
This is great news.. no more oversized bags in te over head.. people are too cheap to check the bags in.. yes I'm a frequent flyer and love this idea... get rid of overhead compartments as is..

rated:
Maphatlal said:   This is great news.. no more oversized bags in te over head.. people are too cheap to check the bags in.. yes I'm a frequent flyer and love this idea... get rid of overhead compartments as is..
So, you are ok with the airlines charging for things that were and should be free? When the  non-stop US-Asia and US-Australia  etc long-haul flights were introduced, international checked-in baggage got reduced from 2*70lbs to 1*50 lbs, all in the name of limited weight/fuel capacity to achieve the long range. Guess what, $200/additional bag and the weight/fuel range issues magically disappeared!

Put a frog in boiling water and it jumps out but boil it slowly and it doesn't jump out and gets cooked alive!

rated:
Who's up for an airline that bans wallets, cellphones and belts?

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   http://www.businessinsider.com/united-airlines-no-carry-on-basic...
  I guess we'll have to start wearing coats with extra large pockets used to store toiletries, change of clothes, an ipad and charger cables that can be conveniently stored in the overhead bins.

rated:
I'd have to know how much lower the price is going to be on this new economy class before deciding if it would be worth it.

rated:
novocane said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   http://www.businessinsider.com/united-airlines-no-carry-on-basic...
  I guess we'll have to start wearing coats with extra large pockets ...

Had to do that in Europe a couple years ago, left suitcase behind and saved big on their economy airlines.
My Michelin Man bulges did not seem to bother them

rated:
greling said:   
cows123 said:   

Do you have any actual proof of this so-called "decline".  Is this a decline in profits, EBITDA, etc.?

rated:
This is good because it provides an additional option. I don't like flying Spirit because of their lower quality offerings, smaller flight schedule, and nickel and diming with all the fees, but I still check their prices and times anytime I'm going to/from cities they use. Sometimes they are significantly cheaper and at a better time than the other airlines even after I factor in all the fees. Additional options are always a good thing. If I had the money to blow on first class, I might have a different attitude, but I'm a budget traveler.

rated:
"Bans Carry On Bags" is a bit hyperbolic. They're not taking anything away and you can continue to book the exact same service they offer now, they're just introducing a new option for super-economy travelers.

The only challenge is going to be figuring out what you're getting when searching on fare aggregation sites, but that was already an issue because of differing policies for checked bags, change fees, etc.

I suspect these sites are going to adapt by giving consumers more detailed search options which account for their preferences, such as asking how many bags they plan to check and accounting for that in the displayed price.

rated:
yeah i was surprised when i saw that united airlines bans carry on bags for certain economy fares.....

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016