• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
All,
I am looking to buy a laptop for personal use with decent configuration. Looking for something between 13-15" screen size (preferably 13.3 or 14") with I7 and decent SSD. Please let me know in case you have come across any decent deals. I also looked at HP Envy and Spectre 360 and really liked their look but never used HP laptops so need your suggestion on their performance in case you already own these. Dell XPS 13 is also very nice but expensive and also did not find any deals. Please let me know if you are aware of any good deals and/or also any other models I can buy (I am not looking for a gaming laptop but one with  high memory)

Thanks.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
just got a Dell latitude e6320.It was from the refurbished business deals. looks new, 13" display, I7 processor, bluetooth, under 300 bucks. I'm very happy with it.

rated:
keeptrying50 said:   just got a Dell latitude e6320.It was from the refurbished business deals. looks new, 13" display, I7 processor, bluetooth, under 300 bucks. I'm very happy with it.
  $300 for a five year old laptop?  With a 2nd-gen i7 that is probably slower than a 6th-gen or 7th-gen i5 you'd get today?

rated:
it's unlikely that you need an i7... unless you're doing heavily threaded application/processing, the i5 will deliver the same real world performance. If you don't know what "heavily threaded" computing is, then you're fine with an i5.

8gb is plenty enough RAM for most poeople on windows 10. If you're heavily multitasking, then sure 16GB is better... but how many poeple heavily multitask on a 13" laptop?

Don't even look at anything with an old school hard drive... unless you have the competency to migrate and swap it over to an SSD

rated:
iampks said:    Envy and Spectre 360 and really liked their look but never used HP laptops so need your suggestion on their performance in case you already own these.
Thanks.

I bought a HP factory referb Spectre just about this time last year.  i7, 256 SSD, best screen, for around $650.  I should have bought two.

Doesn't help you much today but keep an eye out.  With the release of the new Spectre, perhaps the 'old' one will be discounted during the season.  GL.

rated:
theblenny said:   
iampks said:    Envy and Spectre 360 and really liked their look but never used HP laptops so need your suggestion on their performance in case you already own these.
Thanks.

I bought a HP factory referb Spectre just about this time last year.  i7, 256 SSD, best screen, for around $650.  I should have bought two.

Doesn't help you much today but keep an eye out.  With the release of the new Spectre, perhaps the 'old' one will be discounted during the season.  GL.

Not very helpful unless you can post actual specs.  what size screen??   what does "best screen" mean???  best screen = 4k, and there's no way you got a 4k screen for $650 a year ago.
What model i7?  what video?  how much RAM?

rated:
I'm also in the same boat looking for a new laptop. I'm a video editor by trade so I need the laptop to run faster than a normal user. I'm trying to keep to something with a 13in screen. I don't necessarily need 4k but I do need a good amount of ram and hard drive space. Nothing so far has popped up on my radar for black friday so I was wondering if someone could help me out here. Thanks in advance!

rated:
ytan53 said:   I'm also in the same boat looking for a new laptop. I'm a video editor by trade so I need the laptop to run faster than a normal user. I'm trying to keep to something with a 13in screen. I don't necessarily need 4k but I do need a good amount of ram and hard drive space. Nothing so far has popped up on my radar for black friday so I was wondering if someone could help me out here. Thanks in advance!
  The first thing I would do would be to find a couple of laptops that would work for you that are not on sale.  You already have some fixed constraints with screen size, screen resolution, and the need for relatively fast CPU.  That will greatly reduce what will work for you.

Next, compare your choices and see what distinguishes them.  Battery life?  Faster CPU?  Quality of keyboard and touchpad?  Weight?  Not sure what's important to you - may be different from what's important to me.

Also: how much are you willing to upgrade something you buy?  RAM is usually easy to upgrade.  Sometimes the hard drive is easy to upgrade, too; sometimes it's a huge PITA.  Some people don't want to mess with any of this stuff and want a laptop that is ready-to-use without any tweaking.  But if you are willing to do some upgrades - see how hard any laptop you buy would be to upgrade and look for a laptop with a smaller hard drive, less RAM, and do the upgrades yourself.  Look at upgrading a hard drive or smaller SSD to a larger SSD.  1TB SSDs are getting more affordable but probably only if you buy one on sale and upgrade yourself.

Once you find a few laptops that would work, then you can look for them to go on sale or for stores that sell them to have coupons and discounts especially around black Friday.

rated:
robstahl21 said: Not very helpful unless you can post actual specs. what size screen?? what does "best screen" mean??? best screen = 4k, and there's no way you got a 4k screen for $650 a year ago.
What model i7? what video? how much RAM?

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1497060

I thought it was a year ago; it was 6 months.  Not $650 but $689 w/FS. 

Specs really don't matter as it's long dead and buried......

rated:
how do you guys feel about the a10 processor? Can I use cpu benchmark as an accurate assessment?

rated:
cpu benchmark is pretty good. You can use that safely, and the A10 has many versions like the I7

rated:
best option so far is with Best Buy. Another $250 maybe to switch out to 1TB. Unfortunately a lot over the budget I'm trying to stick to.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016