• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
It was discovered that certain Chinese phones were preinstalled with listening software.  BLU is one of them

http://www.startribune.com/secret-backdoor-in-some-u-s-phones-se...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I'm not surprised

rated:
You wonder why these cheap phones power drain overnight

rated:
im sure lots of others have it,,we live in a information hungry world..

rated:
Am I the only one that has considered adding hard switch to disable things like the power to my cell phone?

rated:
What does that accomplish?  They auto send back.  Buying Chinese electronics (designed and manufactured) is asking for trouble.  You wonder why homeland security banned Huawei routers?

rated:
cr3s said:   What does that accomplish?  They auto send back.  Buying Chinese electronics (designed and manufactured) is asking for trouble.  You wonder why homeland security banned Huawei routers?
  Isn't there a law that they can only buy American?  

Hence when IBM Laptops went to Lenovo, the government stopped buying them.

rated:
cr3s said:   What does that accomplish?  They auto send back.  Buying Chinese electronics (designed and manufactured) is asking for trouble.  You wonder why homeland security banned Huawei routers?
  I don't mean as a way to specifically stop this back door.  Rather I want a way to actually and completely turn off my devices.  In particular I don't want a microphone on at all times.  I'm not worried as much about the camera because most of the time it's facing at the desk, table, ceiling, ect... 

rated:
giqcass said:   Am I the only one that has considered adding hard switch to disable things like the power to my cell phone?
  Some phones have very small batteries so even if you remove the battery it won't matter.

I suspect these are not popular phones that get torn down by diy companies.

rated:
I bought a BLU phone and returned it after a week. It was not worth the price - kept rebooting, battery drained quick...now I know why!

rated:
I bought a BLU and love it. Is it a Samsung 7billion or whatever? No, but it was $50... It's actually pretty snappy, screen is decent, feel isn't terribly cheap. I don't mind if China or anyone else listens in, there's nothing interesting in there.

rated:
Infinion said:   ....I don't mind if China or anyone else listens in, there's nothing interesting in there.

Nothing interesting does not means someone should have it. If that is the case would you like sharing all the passwords of your email accounts. I bet you do nothing wrong and there is nothing interesting there as well. 

rated:
I used to be a big fan of removing the battery especially in a secure environment. Unfortunately, most devices now have non-removable batteries.

rated:

rated:
This sort of thing is so concerning, and it's happening in all kinds of ways, many that we are still in the dark about (obviously).

rated:
ctujackbauer said:   BLU was in the news today (again) for a rootkit / backdoor vulnerability.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/powerful-backdoorrootkit-found-preinstalled-on-3-million-android-phones/

so in addition to China NSA, we have another unknown player.  Poor BLU

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016