• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I have been very curious why anyone would be buying gift cards from sites such as cardpool.com and raise.com

Most of those popular gift cards are being sold at a discount rate between 0.1% and 5%.  The risks associated with these gift cards make this kind of low discount rates look really silly.   As you can easily buy those $500 Visa/MasterCard Gift cards from grocery stores or Sams Club using credit cards with 5% rewards, so the effective discount rate would be about 4~5% and more flexible than any brand of GCs.

So in my opinion, only the discount rate of 10% or more would make sense to buy any gift cards from these sites....But since those websites have been in business for such long time, I am wondering who would buy from them...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
eljamesyu said:   As you can easily buy those $500 Visa/MasterCard Gift cards from grocery stores or Sams Club using credit cards with 5% rewardsNo card earns 5% at SAMS.

rated:
I don't bother with Wal-Mart or Target gift cards as the discount is usually no better than a good rewards credit card. Sears and K-Mart gift cards are hot potatoes as those stores could go out of business at any time. I mostly purchased Home Depot and Lowe's cards when the discounts reach 10%+, but both stores have made some recent consumer-unfriendly changes to their programs with no warning. Now I'm fighting PayPal over hacked eBay gift cards. The protections just aren't there and the time spent fighting to get my money back is just not worth it. If you do buy gift cards, my advice is to only purchase what you can use within a few days.

rated:
xoneinax said:   
eljamesyu said:   As you can easily buy those $500 Visa/MasterCard Gift cards from grocery stores or Sams Club using credit cards with 5% rewards
No card earns 5% at SAMS.
5% quarterly rewards with Discover and Chase Freedom.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
xoneinax said:   
eljamesyu said:   As you can easily buy those $500 Visa/MasterCard Gift cards from grocery stores or Sams Club using credit cards with 5% rewards
No card earns 5% at SAMS.

5% quarterly rewards with Discover and Chase Freedom.

LOL.  Crap.  You beat me to it!!

rated:
eljamesyu said:   I have been very curious why anyone would be buying gift cards from sites such as cardpool.com and raise.com

Most of those popular gift cards are being sold at a discount rate between 0.1% and 5%.  The risks associated with these gift cards make this kind of low discount rates look really silly.   As you can easily buy those $500 Visa/MasterCard Gift cards from grocery stores or Sams Club using credit cards with 5% rewards, so the effective discount rate would be about 4~5% and more flexible than any brand of GCs.

So in my opinion, only the discount rate of 10% or more would make sense to buy any gift cards from these sites....But since those websites have been in business for such long time, I am wondering who would buy from them...

this was the most important thing you had to worry about and get off your chest on Thanksgiving day ??

rated:
This is a very stupid post but the answer is because why the fuk would you pay 100% of your price when you can pay 90%, also how are you going to pay for something online for most places? =\

rated:
mewgirl said:   This is a very stupid post but the answer is because why the fuk would you pay 100% of your price when you can pay 90%, also how are you going to pay for something online for most places? =

Sounds like you simply don't get it.

rated:
LetsGoMets1 said:   
eljamesyu said:   I have been very curious why anyone would be buying gift cards from sites such as cardpool.com and raise.com

this was the most important thing you had to worry about and get off your chest on Thanksgiving day ??

I got an email from raise and was browsing their website, so that question came to my mind...Hope my post did not ruin your Thanksgiving day...

rated:
thestorm said:   I don't bother with Wal-Mart or Target gift cards as the discount is usually no better than a good rewards credit card. Sears and K-Mart gift cards are hot potatoes as those stores could go out of business at any time. I mostly purchased Home Depot and Lowe's cards when the discounts reach 10%+, but both stores have made some recent consumer-unfriendly changes to their programs with no warning. Now I'm fighting PayPal over hacked eBay gift cards. The protections just aren't there and the time spent fighting to get my money back is just not worth it. If you do buy gift cards, my advice is to only purchase what you can use within a few days.

All it takes is to get burned 2 or three times with a crazy gift card scheme to wipe out all the profits you may have made previously.  You literally have no protections if things go south. Way too much risk for way too little payout.

rated:
kingdoodler said:   
thestorm said:   I don't bother with Wal-Mart or Target gift cards as the discount is usually no better than a good rewards credit card. Sears and K-Mart gift cards are hot potatoes as those stores could go out of business at any time. I mostly purchased Home Depot and Lowe's cards when the discounts reach 10%+, but both stores have made some recent consumer-unfriendly changes to their programs with no warning. Now I'm fighting PayPal over hacked eBay gift cards. The protections just aren't there and the time spent fighting to get my money back is just not worth it. If you do buy gift cards, my advice is to only purchase what you can use within a few days.

All it takes is to get burned 2 or three times with a crazy gift card scheme to wipe out all the profits you may have made previously.  You literally have no protections if things go south. Way too much risk for way too little payout.

Yes, this is exactly my point.  When the discount is so small, it is worth the risk to buy those Gift Cards from those gift card reseller websites, yet they seem to be doing good, a some of their GC are 'sold out' frequently...

rated:
kingdoodler said:   

Only if you use a non-trustworhy random-ads site, not if you use Raise etc.  Even GiftCardMall has a payback through Swagbucks.  And for that matter anything available through Swagbucks/Ebates/etc. can be assumed to be trustworthy since they are making corporate deals.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016