• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Heading out this week to start looking at furniture; we need to replace a sofa and loveseat.  Because it's in our family room we want something casual and comfortable (probably chenille or microsuede) but still has good support with cushions that won't start sagging in a few months. Not looking to spend a fortune but don't want to buy something cheaply made.  Lots of little ones in the family so nothing that can't hold up to a little "activity" but also has enough support for Grandma's bad back. It's been forever since we bought new furniture so we're kind of clueless as to what brands might be worth looking at. I'm under the impression that Ashley Furniture is not particularly well made, or is that not the case?  How about LazyBoy?  Broyhill? 
By the way, we don't need built-in recliners or a sleeper sofa, just a regular sofa and matching loveseat.
Thanks for your suggestions. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
LOL

otaymiester (Dec. 02, 2016 @ 8:29p) |

I found this website helpful when we were looking recently: http://www.leathershoppes.com/manufacturer_rank.html
I think ... (more)

christhescientist (Dec. 04, 2016 @ 4:15p) |

Yes, try IKEA, Macys, or Costco. They have great furniture at great prices.

yoliethegreat (Dec. 05, 2016 @ 12:48p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Ashley Furniture is substandard...especially if you want leather.
Costco has the best furniture with the best warranty.

Plummers has good furniture, but it is more pricey.

rated:
IMHO, My experience is LazyBoy did not hold up, parts fell out. Now, I'm partial to Catnapper with which I've had good luck with so far.

rated:
just face it, no good furniture is out there

perhaps donald can make some, or make someone to make some

or the other one will, if a recount takes place

why do you need a loveseat anyway?

rated:
Lane sofa...terrible quality and nonexistent customer service

rated:
We were in the same situation earlier this year. I'm a big guy and wanted support, but didn't want to break the bank. We decided on Flexsteel and have been very happy with the set.

On a side note, since sofas are only about $50 more than love seats, we ended up with two sofas. If you have the room for it, you might want to give it a consideration. We are glad we decided to think outside the box.

rated:
Many brands went bankrupt and got bought up, some have the same owner. Lazy-boy known for recliners and sleepers.

Lane is worse than bad.

rated:
look for a good deal

rated:
jillbroder said:   look for a good deal
Very shrewd!

rated:
Try IKEA. It might cost a little more but at least it lasts.

rated:
Well we've been looking at RECLINING sofas (know you don't need that). Flexsteel is generally considered a nice name brand- not obnoxiously expensive, not cheap either. Catnapper is also well reviewed. I'm sure I've missed other reasonable good brands, but with many of the other makers its just tough to tell. I also like the costco/sams club furniture packages (abbyson living often makes most of their furniture). Good luck!

rated:
I know you don't need recliners but for a PSA, if you have big people (200lbs+), stay away from Sam's Club cheap sofa sets. We went cheap and are on our 3rd set in 2.5 years. The first couch had the steel in the recliner break after 3 months. The second set had the cushions break down after 9 months to the point of being unable to sit on them. Now the 3rd set is also UN-sitable due to cushions break down after 8 months.  These Chinese made furniture is all junk.
The only good part is Sam's gave us our money back under their warranty and we replaced them without eating the cost each time. Last time the manager said they wouldn't do it again. I'm going to a different Sam's to return the 3rd set this time.
We would have went some where else after the 2nd set failure but lost our receipt and had to use a gift card for refund. Good luck.

rated:
I would consider the following as intermediate quality: Mitchell Gold, Crate and Barrel (have to be picky about who/where manufactured), Broyhill (not a lot is made in North Carolina anymore), Bernhardt, Bradington Young, etc.
High quality and higher price: Vanguard, Old Hickory, Wesley Hall, Leathcraft, Hancock Moore, Hungtinton, etc. These are mostly made in US in North Carolina or California.

rated:
Look at Rowe (Capris is Rowe) couches. They have couple grades of seat cushions - avoid the soft standard foam cushion. They have upgrade to stiffer cushion and even one with springs.

rated:
Most ordinary furniture made nowadays is substandard. They make it too quick and in pieces. When you used to buy a nice couch, it came in one piece and the delivery guys had to figure how to get it in the homes. Now they come in pieces that are screwed together. Don't pay a lot for furniture and expect to buy new furniture in 5-10 years regardless. 

rated:
There is no need to break the bank. There are outlet stores (Horchow last call, www.jossandmain.com, Nebraska Furniture Mart) that sell discounted USA made furniture. And you can and should always bargain for discounts. You just can't be that picky about a style. All I can say is that the quality of furniture made in the US is nowhere comparable to that of most of the imported furniture (with a few exceptions, of course).

rated:
u must be joking? when did ikea start making furniture that lasted?

rated:
www.klaussner.com - find a local dealer

They are:

1) domestic made
2) lifetime warranty on frame
3) available in 400+ colors/fabrics/leathers/etc

rated:
Costco and you know their warranty is anytime you can return if you are not happy except TVs

rated:
My mom had a problem with an odor from a LazyBoy recliner - kind of like a chemical smell. She could not get rid of it no matter what she did.  Many issues like this with LazyBoy furniture according to Google

rated:
We recently bought top grain leather sofa set from Costco's website and we couldn't be happier.  It's made by Abbyson and we had minor damage to two pieces when delivered but they were promptly replaced with one phone call.  No questions asked. 

rated:
I bought a sofa and love seat for about 999 in 2000 from Macys. It looks like new now and has been moved twice. I would check them out.

rated:
+1 for Costco, especially with their return policy.

rated:
We're also currently looking and have been disappointed by reviews we've read on many brands. I noticed one that looked intriguing, Sactionals by LoveSac: http://www.lovesac.com/
It's pricier than we were originally looking for, but I like that you can wash and replace the covers.

rated:
I bought a recliner from Havertys, I 'm still using it 6 years later. I paid almost $900 for it. it was a manual recliner so less chance of electrical components failing.

rated:
Smith Brothers of Berne are USA made and quality.  We have had ours for 16 years and expect many more.  Plus our dog dug a hole in a cushion, I called Smith Brothers and they had me send in the cover and they replaced the torn cover.  They did charge a small amount $10-$15 (It's been so long ago) but the cover came back like new with a quick turn around.

rated:
Ikea has always had quality stuff. Some of their items are cheap and made of particle board, others from real wood.  I have a love seat from them that has lasted very well, no wear on the material, cushions are still as firm as when i bought it.  It even survived being taken apart and moved 3 times.

rated:
Lee Industries brand but I'm not sure where you buy them. Try their store locator
I have a sofa from 20 years ago that I custom-ordered from a local furniture shop and we still use it today, although the cushions of course needed to be replaced. It is the only seating in the room so it is used daily. I paid what felt like a large amount at that time ($1100) but as it has held up for all these years, I definitely have gotten great value from it. 

rated:
dont get bonded leather whatever u do.
doesnt last and ull have little flakes of leather all over the place.

rated:
smish said:   www.klaussner.com  - find a local dealer

They are:

1) domestic made
2) lifetime warranty on frame
3) available in 400+ colors/fabrics/leathers/etc

Found a local dealer; will check out this brand.  Thanks!

rated:
does anyone have a brand or model to avoid chemical odors,particle board and flame retardants. Someone mentioned odors on the board here. Still need a good price also. Does IKEA make any without particle board? A friend likes their ikea

rated:
reecietuck said:   Try IKEA. It might cost a little more but at least it lasts.

LOL

rated:
I found this website helpful when we were looking recently: http://www.leathershoppes.com/manufacturer_rank.html
I think it confirms that Costco is a good deal as some of their brands like Abbyson are higher quality, but cheaper than LazyBoy or bassett.

We ended up going with Dania though. We had very specific color requirements due to a huge room with colorful carpet in the house we moved into. Seems like 90% of Costco is brown leather, but it's classic if it goes with your house. Anyways, we thought Dania was really expensive, but they have a huge range of prices. I would say their low end overlaps with Ikea's high end, but the Dania stuff seemed quite a bit better for the price.

rated:
Yes, try IKEA, Macys, or Costco. They have great furniture at great prices.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016