• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
A little history first.
I've been using a 37" 8 year old LCD TV in my bedroom and am tired of the washed out picture. Viewing distance is 10'. Want to pick up a 50" replacement.
We have a 55" OLED in the main room and had a 50" plasma before that. I'm torn between buying a 50" plasma from Craig's list ($100 TO $300 range) or to get one of the new 4k or HDR cheap one's like at WalMart , Target Kohl's etc., but am concerned I will be unhappy with the quality and have to return and re-buy various sets to find one that will do for me. Remember, I know it's unreasonable to expect OLED quality in a $300 to $400 tv but I know I'll be unhappy when compared to watching a plasma.
What brand did you get and are you happy with the picture quality? Also, have you ever had a plasma or OLED at home to compare it to?
Do you think my best bet is a used plasma?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
50" Panasonic plasma still going strong & beautiful picture after 10 yrs. Only 720 resolution, but a stellar picture. Can not see replacing it quite yet.

I do have a 50" Vizio LCD HDTV 1080p w/ 120 refresh rate and like the Panasonic pic more.

rated:
the thing is once you come from plasma you cant go to cheap 60hz tvs, I tried it and it wont work. For movies and tv shows you live with the 60hz, but for sports especially NBA or Soccer, its so obvious. 4k picture is great if your gonna sit 3 feet away from the tv, that is why they look so amazing in store. Once home from 10-12 feet away you cant tell if its 720p or 4k. 720p plasma have beaten out 4ktv's hands down. The blacks are blacker, colors are better. Buying a plasma on craigslist is a risky move. Most people that own plasmas know the picture cant be beat, this means most are selling because something is wrong with the tv. For example the power supplies are known to go bad in plasma mostly becaue plasma require more power. Also pixels can die, which leaves a line on the tv, which would be obvious. The power supply issue is hard to trace because the tv will restart itself or shut off after watching for 30 minutes or more. this is hard to replicate at someones house. Also no lcd has a higher refresh rate then 120 all that 240, 480 or 960hz refresh rates are all marketing and bs.

rated:
zoobear said:   the thing is once you come from plasma you cant go to cheap 60hz tvs, I tried it and it wont work. For movies and tv shows you live with the 60hz, but for sports especially NBA or Soccer, its so obvious. 4k picture is great if your gonna sit 3 feet away from the tv, that is why they look so amazing in store. Once home from 10-12 feet away you cant tell if its 720p or 4k. 720p plasma have beaten out 4ktv's hands down. The blacks are blacker, colors are better. Buying a plasma on craigslist is a risky move. Most people that own plasmas know the picture cant be beat, this means most are selling because something is wrong with the tv. For example the power supplies are known to go bad in plasma mostly becaue plasma require more power. Also pixels can die, which leaves a line on the tv, which would be obvious. The power supply issue is hard to trace because the tv will restart itself or shut off after watching for 30 minutes or more. this is hard to replicate at someones house. Also no lcd has a higher refresh rate then 120 all that 240, 480 or 960hz refresh rates are all marketing and bs.
  We have few plasmas and thinking about replacing those with LCDs. Now I won't. There might be some people who think newer is better. 

rated:
OLED TVs might be a good replacement for plasmas, but they are not cheap.

rated:
We'll I'm waiting for one of the el cheap-o 4k tv's to show up next week. Once I have it set up I'll report back with my findings. Have my fingers crossed. If it's junk, back to Sam's Club it goes.

rated:
Take it from a guy who used to sell tvs for a living, don't buy under 120hz refresh rate. Don't be fooled by trumotion 120 or motion enhanced 120, those are 60hz tv that have software to improve refresh rate, that software always sucks and should be turned off on all tvs. You will also be surprised sometimes Sam's will sell high end TV's, like the Samsung 8000 series or vizio p and m series. LG also sells some of there quality TV's there. OLED is the best TV to be available ever, once the technology is available to the open market its prices will come down.

rated:
120hz has little value in everyday viewing...

rated:
Got a Sony XBR65X750D 2 days ago. This has one of best looking pictures ever! I would highly recommend it. Got it for $810 + tax from BB. It was a cheap price to me.

rated:
Plamas create heat and use markedly more power. Pretty? Sure, but so is a halogen light vs an LED.

1) Do you research. One of my favorite research site when I was shopping was http://www.rtings.com/

2) Find the best quality TV you can afford.

3) Track it's price through CamelCamelCamel or email alerts from your favorite deal-posting website.

4) If necessary, use OPM (other people's money). It makes sense to buy a nicer TV for the long term, if you can qualify for a 0% interest deal and still be in your same price range.

Good luck..

rated:
We took advantage of the Black Friday deals last year, and purchased a Hisense from WalMart. For the price, we were satisfied with it's performance. Unfortunately almost 4 months into owning the Hisense, we woke up to lines on the screen. At the time I wasn't consumed with regret at first, because the brand comes with a 5-year, "Satisfaction Guarantee". Unfortunately, they do not honor the guarantee. The lines on the TV screen increased in number and size as the days passed, and as we waited for a response back from Hisense. So we placed the tv back into it's original box and put one of our smaller TV's in it's place.
My husband and I spoke to someone at Hisense daily for a little over a month, explaining over and over again what the issue was. Then one day they finally called and said they were not going to honor the warranty because we must have done something to cause the lines on the screen.
I was shocked and my husband was livid. We simply turned it off one night, before going to sleep, and when we woke, there were thin lines on the side of the television.
Still, we continued to call and ask for assistance, because we knew we were definitely not to blame. Again, we spoke to several reps and managers, we went back and forth for nearly four months! Hisense claims they had a meeting and came to the conclusion that we damaged the screen when we put it back in the box.
WHAT? We only put in back in the original box because the screen was covered in lines! At their request, we took it back out of the box, took pictures from every angle with the tv on and then off, showing there was no damage anywhere other than when the screen was on. Again, in the end, they still claimed it was our fault. We were most definitely not satisfied! We will never buy this brand again!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016