• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I've got a 40" Samsung 1080p UN40FH6030 with a true 120Hz panel, but with there are currently deals for 40" Samsung 4K @ 60Hz for good prices, so am wondering if I should replace the former with the later. I'll be using a Roku 4 (just purchased), and possibly a Fire TV with KODI, so should be some 4K content. I won't be purchasing Netflix or any other paid subscription. And I don't watch sports, but bought the 120Hz because in my tests, 120Hz had a better picture quality than 60Hz.

What's the better choice?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Many do not care, but once I see poor motion handling, I cannot unsee it.  Simple camera pans become distracting.

I go for smooth motion over 4K resolution.

rated:
there's so little true 4k content... I wouldn't bother. Sure your ROKU can up-convert it, and/or the tv can upscale it.... but that's not really 4k. Those pixels don't exist, the TV just guesses. 4k needs to be shot in 4k from the start.

I think the big hurdle is that sports are a GIANT market for TV... and sports need to be live, but the standard cable lines that cover the US are not capable to carry live 4k signal... not enough bandwidth.

rated:
Slickone said:   I've got a 40" Samsung 1080p UN40FH6030 with a true 120Hz panel, but with there are currently deals for 40" Samsung 4K @ 60Hz for good prices, so am wondering if I should replace the former with the later. I'll be using a Roku 4 (just purchased), and possibly a Fire TV with KODI, so should be some 4K content. I won't be purchasing Netflix or any other paid subscription. And I don't watch sports, but bought the 120Hz because in my tests, 120Hz had a better picture quality than 60Hz.

HDR is coming! Is your Samsung HDR compatible? It will give a new look, with High dynamic range!

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr-for-tvs-and-why-should-you...

rated:
Marvinomatic said:   
Slickone said:   I've got a 40" Samsung 1080p UN40FH6030 with a true 120Hz panel, but with there are currently deals for 40" Samsung 4K @ 60Hz for good prices, so am wondering if I should replace the former with the later. I'll be using a Roku 4 (just purchased), and possibly a Fire TV with KODI, so should be some 4K content. I won't be purchasing Netflix or any other paid subscription. And I don't watch sports, but bought the 120Hz because in my tests, 120Hz had a better picture quality than 60Hz.

HDR is coming! Is your Samsung HDR compatible? It will give a new look, with High dynamic range!

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr-for-tvs-and-why-should-you-care/  

Sure there will be something like HDR comimg out every few years to make people upgrade to more expensive TV. If you keep waiting for better technology, you will never enjoy. I am enjoying my new Samsung UHDTV 55" 7 Series i bought earlier this year. It's sharper and more vibrant than my former 1080p HDTV. Well worth the upgrade and enjoyment I am receiving. Ultra 4K from Samsung is amazing compared to 1080p HDTV.

OP,  buy 4K tv from Costco and put it side by side your old HDTV. If you don't see any big improvement on image quality, Costco has an awesome return policy.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016