• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

target (44.58kB)
Disclaimer
Target 's typical return policy is to require ID if the customer no longer has the receipt.  Does the recall of a toxic food product that's routinely stocked and sold in most/all Target locations change the laws or policies they're required to follow?

I tried to return two packages of Sabra hummus that I legitimately bought at Target about 10 days ago, but I threw away the receipt, because, food receipts go in the garbage.  I keep all my other receipts for at least a few days.  Does the FDA or any other governing body have a policy that was violated here?

Target wanted a government ID so it could be processed just like any other return without receipt.  I argued with the manager about the special circumstances in this case to no avail.

TL;DR - I expected more from Target, but I didn't pay less. Target sucks and I'm never shopping there ever again.

TL;DR 2 - If any Target representative wants to do damage control by sending me free coupons and stuff, PM me.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Forbin,

listen to yourself. where you think it's ok for someone to find a recalled item, turn it in, and expect to get ca... (more)

MISTERCHEAP (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 12:27p) |

Thanks MisterCheap!

DTASFAB (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 12:29p) |

Also, if I was really a crook, I would have gotten three times the refund - I already returned the sealed recalled produ... (more)

DTASFAB (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 12:36p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
i have other reasons im never shopping at Target again.
we all have our reasons.

rated:
Let's get this straight, you don't have a receipt and just expect a store to accept a return. Recall or otherwise they still have to document the return somehow... Gov't ID is pretty standard to make sure you aren't some scammer that is trying to rip them off. You might be an upstanding member of society, but there are people who look just like you, no matter what you look like, that aren't.

I could literally go to another store that just threw out the recalled hummus, toss it in my car, and drive over to Target expecting a return w/o a receipt IF they didn't check and record ID. After all how could they verify I didn't buy it at Target the week before.

Arguing over something simple just makes you look petty, and very suspicious to any reasonable manager. Then you essentially ask for "damage control coupons" for being a dick. TBH I hope they don't give you coupons and you just stop shopping there.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   TL;DR 2 - If any Target representative wants to do damage control by sending me free coupons and stuff, PM me.But ... you're never shopping there ever again.

rated:
corpse101 said:   Let's get this straight, you don't have a receipt and just expect a store to accept a return. Recall or otherwise they still have to document the return somehow... Gov't ID is pretty standard to make sure you aren't some scammer that is trying to rip them off. You might be an upstanding member of society, but there are people who look just like you, no matter what you look like, that aren't.

I could literally go to another store that just threw out the recalled hummus, toss it in my car, and drive over to Target expecting a return w/o a receipt IF they didn't check and record ID. After all how could they verify I didn't buy it at Target the week before.

Arguing over something simple just makes you look petty, and very suspicious to any reasonable manager. Then you essentially ask for "damage control coupons" for being a dick. TBH I hope they don't give you coupons and you just stop shopping there.

Sorry, but you are WRONG. when an item is recalled due to a potential serious health risk like listeria, the onus is on the store (who sells it) to take it back NO QUESTIONS ASKED, as the Manufacturer and in conjunction with the FDA or other Federal Agency has issued it.

People can't be expected to keep receipts for a product 1/2 opened/use in their refrigerator purchased 12 days prior they had no intent on returning. 

They should have refunded his money and send the required proofs back to Sabra for reimbursement.   At my supermarkets (of which Target IS A SUPERMARKET TOO) that is exactly how it was handled. NO HASSLES, no Government ID, no bullcrap.

EDIT TO ADD: If I were the OP, I'd file a formal complaint with my county board of health on Target and also notify the FDA or whomever is overseeing that recall with Sabra. Target has some a-holes working in their stores, and hassle customers when they should be accommodated w/o any question.

rated:
Sabra has set up a website to get products replaced. No need to return as far as I can tell. http://www.sabrahummusrecall.com/

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   
corpse101 said:   Let's get this straight, you don't have a receipt and just expect a store to accept a return. Recall or otherwise they still have to document the return somehow... Gov't ID is pretty standard to make sure you aren't some scammer that is trying to rip them off. You might be an upstanding member of society, but there are people who look just like you, no matter what you look like, that aren't.

I could literally go to another store that just threw out the recalled hummus, toss it in my car, and drive over to Target expecting a return w/o a receipt IF they didn't check and record ID. After all how could they verify I didn't buy it at Target the week before.

Sorry, but you are WRONG. when an item is recalled due to a potential serious health risk like listeria, the onus is on the store (who sells it) to take it back NO QUESTIONS ASKED, as the Manufacturer and in conjunction with the FDA or other Federal Agency has issued it.

People can't be expected to keep receipts for a product 1/2 opened/use in their refrigerator purchased 12 days prior they had no intent on returning. 

They should have refunded his money and send the required proofs back to Sabra for reimbursement.   At my supermarkets (of which Target IS A SUPERMARKET TOO) that is exactly how it was handled. NO HASSLES, no Government ID, no bullcrap.

EDIT TO ADD: If I were the OP, I'd file a formal complaint with my county board of health on Target and also notify the FDA or whomever is overseeing that recall with Sabra. Target has some a-holes working in their stores, and hassle customers when they should be accommodated w/o any question.

Thank you.  This is my thought exactly.  I'm going to try to pursue this if I can.  I'm tired of people telling me I'm being a dick just because I'm not afraid to stand up for myself.  In this case, what difference does it make if they have my name on file?  It doesn't make it any less or more likely that I actually purchased the recalled product at their store, nor does it have any impact on their ability to get a reimbursement for the tainted product from Sabra.  All it does it give them access to my personal information, which they have absolutely no right to retain under these circumstances.

Target has been having trouble making in-roads as a grocery/supermarket chain.  People think of them as a discount/department/big box store, not the place where it's possible to purchase a week's supply of groceries in a single trip.  This is exactly part of the reason they're struggling in this area of their business.  If they want to be a grocery chain, they should start operating as one.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
DTASFAB said:   TL;DR 2 - If any Target representative wants to do damage control by sending me free coupons and stuff, PM me.
But ... you're never shopping there ever again.

Exactly.  

rated:
corpse101 said:   Let's get this straight, you don't have a receipt and just expect a store to accept a return. 
Yes, that's exactly right.  They bear some responsibility for it since they stock it on their shelves.  It's a mainstream product with significant name recognition, not some obscure item that was stocked briefly because some random distributor was looking to unload it for a one-time discounted price.  They carried it before and presumably, they will carry it again after the listeria outbreak is contained in the processing plant.

I was walking around their store with a tainted, contaminated, potentially toxic recalled food item and they simply didn't care.  What if I'd gone crazy and opened the package and shoved it the face of a store employee or another customer?  It's true, there have been no reports of illness from this particular recall and listeria has not been detected in the final product being recalled.  I was almost prepared to just eat the hummus despite the recall until I read that listeria can have an incubation period of up to 70 days.  People might get sick from this after all, and Target doesn't care.  They just want to keep track of everyone in this brave new world where standing up for my rights makes me a dick.

rated:
Update: I left a message with the county department of health and I'm waiting for a callback. I also called the FDA and I was told they don't oversee individual store policies, only the recalled product itself. So there's no FDA regulation that was violated in this situation.

ETA:  I called Target corporate to complain and spoke to their guest services department.  They offered to send me a gift card for store credit, but I declined.  I told them I was more interested in making them aware that their policy should be less restrictive in cases of product recalls.  The phone rep asked for the location of the Target store where this happened and the date and time that it happened.  She said the store should have scanned the barcode on the product and should have immediately accepted it for return, with or without receipt.  She also apologized and told me the management of that particular store would be contacted so they know the corporate policy going forward.  I suppose only time will tell.

rated:
Legit if you did buy it 10 days ago (not saying you didn't), it takes two seconds to give them your ID, and you get your refund. /End Thread

rated:
This brings up an interesting question.  I have a box of glucose meters that have been recalled that I purchased about 5 years ago from CVS.  Obviously no more receipts.  Wonder if I could just bring them back to CVS.

rated:
moneynomore said:   This brings up an interesting question.  I have a box of glucose meters that have been recalled that I purchased about 5 years ago from CVS.  Obviously no more receipts.  Wonder if I could just bring them back to CVS.
  No, take them to Target but throw a hissy fit while there.  Then call at least two Government agencies and their Corporate office but refuse the gift card they offer.  Then wait for the, most likely, never to be received return call.  That will show them you are taking the high road. 

rated:
dannon35 said:   Sabra has set up a website to get products replaced. No need to return as far as I can tell. http://www.sabrahummusrecall.com/

that is true, but note, it is to replace the product, which may not occur until 2017 depending how quick they re-stock all the stores. Look how long Blue Bell Ice Cream was off shelves in Texas after their Listeria problem.

Also, many stocked up on this for Thanksgiving company and don't necessarily want or need a replacement, just want their money back as they don't need more Hummus 2 months from now.

Not sure why everyone is giving this OP such a hard time. Sabra and major chain markets should making returning it as easy as possible, it is not any individual consumer's fault they had Q&A issues at their plant.   Typically, stores are told to save the lids and dump the product to get reimbursement. The lids usually have the freshness dates and UPC code on them and that's what Sabra needs to confirm right items were collected from customers anyway. Not a receipt, Sabra could care less about 40.000 Target or Safeway receipts.

rated:
Centora87 said:   Legit if you did buy it 10 days ago (not saying you didn't), it takes two seconds to give them your ID, and you get your refund. /End Thread

not quite that simple. Many stores, like Target and Home Depot SWIPE your license on no-receipt returns and it COUNTS AGAINST YOU. you get flagged if you have too many of these returns in their database. So why should someone surrender that information to return a recalled product.

I will note it takes EVEN LESS TIME (no seconds) to just refund the money, no questions asked, cause the customer in this situation is 100% right for returning the item w/o any receipt required..

rated:
Wow all this talk about how Target should taking something that OP didn't buy there back.

BTW this item, Sabra Hummus is not to be returned to the Store!
http://www.fda.gov/Food/RecallsOutbreaksEmergencies/SafetyAlerts...

It is not an FDA recall, it's a voluntary recall by Sabra, and it says specifically 'THROW THE ITEM AWAY'.

And if it was a FDA recall it says this specific,
Consumers who have purchased this product are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm530741.htm

So what we do have
OP has an item that was recalled (Voluntary not forced)
The recall says throw it away and get a coupon.
OP went to a store he did not buy it at and demanded the store take the product back no questions asked (which could theoretically cause a lysteria problem with that store)
Store asked for proof of purchase or wanted an ID.
OP went ballistic at this policy.

Sorry OP but you are wrong, this is proper procedure for this item as well as other recalls. Where you bought it, and they can ask for proof of purchase.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Wow all this talk about how Target should taking something that OP didn't buy there back.

BTW this item, Sabra Hummus is not to be returned to the Store!
http://www.fda.gov/Food/RecallsOutbreaksEmergencies/SafetyAlerts... 

It is not an FDA recall, it's a voluntary recall by Sabra, and it says specifically 'THROW THE ITEM AWAY'.

And if it was a FDA recall it says this specific,
Consumers who have purchased this product are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm530741.htm 

So what we do have
OP has an item that was recalled (Voluntary not forced)
The recall says throw it away and get a coupon.
OP went to a store he did not buy it at and demanded the store take the product back no questions asked (which could theoretically cause a lysteria problem with that store)
Store asked for proof of purchase or wanted an ID.
OP went ballistic at this policy.

Sorry OP but you are wrong, this is proper procedure for this item as well as other recalls. Where you bought it, and they can ask for proof of purchase.

Voluntary means they did it on their own (the manufacturer) it doesn't mean discarding it is voluntary, in this case, listeria is not something you risk.

The recall is slanted to get you a coupon to get more (at some unknown future date) It is within reason to be able to return it for a refund if you so choose.

If the OP didn't buy it there, I missed that part. it is wisest to return it where you bought it.

As I noted, on a recall of this seriousness, no proof or ID should be required. It was a national recall on their FULL LINE of Hummus 10 oz.

OP had a right to be put out, it was ridiculous to be expected to produce a driver's license for this.  If he was rude and screaming, that was uncalled for.

rated:
I said it was a voluntary recall, but you cannot expect Target to foot the bill for products not purchased there. You can voluntarily return it there sure, but force them to give you a refund? They would ask for ID or receipt.
I don't see where you think it's ok for someone to find a recalled item, turn it in, and expect to get cash / credit without some kind of check if they bought it there (or are a chronic buy / return kind of person)

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   
Centora87 said:   Legit if you did buy it 10 days ago (not saying you didn't), it takes two seconds to give them your ID, and you get your refund. /End Thread

not quite that simple. Many stores, like Target and Home Depot SWIPE your license on no-receipt returns and it COUNTS AGAINST YOU. you get flagged if you have too many of these returns in their database. So why should someone surrender that information to return a recalled product.

I will note it takes EVEN LESS TIME (no seconds) to just refund the money, no questions asked, cause the customer in this situation is 100% right for returning the item w/o any receipt required..

Most places do just return recalled items. However, even if there was a recorded database of items returned, this particular refund in the comments would have "Recall", which shouldn't be counted. An honest customer isn't making returns on a weekly basis. If you find yourself returning items twice a week or more, there's no legitimate reason for this. Hence why any store would even flag certain customers.

rated:
I love fatwallet! It is a microcosm for everything that's wrong with humanity.

I don't know who is reading what, but I did in fact purchase the tainted product at the exact Target location that refused my refund.

Providing ID would have definitely counted against me and would not have simply enabled the cashier or manager to use my name to look up the purchase, because I purchased the hummus with a since-discarded prepaid Visa gift card. Paying with cash or a prepaid gift card puts me in a lower class of customer since Target likes tracking their customers so much. Their deal is if you let them track everything you buy, they will help you by looking up your purchases when you lose your receipt and then want to bring something back.

The county department of health called back and referred me to the consumer protection board, which referred me to the state department of agriculture. I explained the situation, and I was advised that no state law was violated. During the conversation, I drew a comparison to laws regarding auto parts stores being required to accept used motor oil for disposal, even if the customer didn't purchase the oil at that location. If a store is in the business of selling fresh motor oil, they have to accept used motor oil, no questions asked. I was speculative that a similar law might exist that would require stores in the business of selling food to accept tainted, recalled food products for refund, no questions asked. However, such a law does not exist in this state. The person I spoke to understood the analogy perfectly and apologized that he was powerless to help me in this situation.  I'm still glad I investigated it and I'm so thrilled with the overwhelmingly positive responses I got on fatwallet!

If more people stood up for themselves and their rights as well as they criticize others for doing the same, perhaps there would be fewer jealous and unhappy people in the world.  Red away people!

rated:
Dude or dame --- you need to move on. File your complaint with the manufacturer here: http://www.sabrahummusrecall.com/

And celebrate what is good --- the fact that the food was recalled, that it was widely published, that you hopefully didn't eat it, and that you never, ever, have to have anything to do with Target (and fatwallet) again. This is no place to litigate one's rights -- that's why we have elections and vote for those who support our positions.

rated:
vadeltachi said:   Dude or dame --- you need to move on. File your complaint with the manufacturer here: http://www.sabrahummusrecall.com/ 

And celebrate what is good --- the fact that the food was recalled, that it was widely published, that you hopefully didn't eat it, and that you never, ever, have to have anything to do with Target (and fatwallet) again. This is no place to litigate one's rights -- that's why we have elections and vote for those who support our positions.

Right... I should move on and not update the thread, exactly like 95% of the other FW threads where the OP just disappears and nobody knows the outcome.  Ok, sure.  Damned if I do and damned if I don't.  Par for the course around here.

Maybe if people's reading comprehension was better, I wouldn't have felt compelled to defend myself against the unfair criticisms I received in this thread.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   I said it was a voluntary recall, but you cannot expect Target to foot the bill for products not purchased there. You can voluntarily return it there sure, but force them to give you a refund? They would ask for ID or receipt.
I don't see where you think it's ok for someone to find a recalled item, turn it in, and expect to get cash / credit without some kind of check if they bought it there (or are a chronic buy / return kind of person)

Forbin,

listen to yourself. where you think it's ok for someone to find a recalled item, turn it in, and expect to get cash / credit without some kind of check 

I seriously doubt, people are going dumpster diving for discarded containers of Sabra Hummus, a relatively remote product in the grand scheme of things. (Joe Crook says 'oh boy, here's my chance to get rich, find Hummus containers and run around to stores getting money for them! )

What check? the product is on NATIONAL RECALL. Certainly Target returns damaged and unsalable merchandise into their suppliers ALL THE TIME for credit. Sabra is getting these back from supermarkets NATIONWIDE and certainly expects it to happen. There is no need to verify the purchase cause the recall was made to DISCARD ALL OF IT, doesn't matter.  You are giving this guy a hard time over a perfectly reasonable expectation to return it to place of purchase for a refund, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Really SMH at the attitude of people in this thread. The OP has my support, he did the right thing, Target did not here. PERIOD.

EDIT TO ADD: And exactly what did you think Target did with the unsold Sabra Hummus on their shelves? THEY PULLED IT and sent it back for credit. Just like they could do with the OP's container. It is common sense folks. 

Should we yell at Target cause they should have gone to the website and requested replacement coupons for the 96 containers at this guy's store that were pulled? Jesus H, Christ.

rated:
Thanks MisterCheap!

rated:
Also, if I was really a crook, I would have gotten three times the refund - I already returned the sealed recalled product to a competing store that also carries the same item. They refunded me no questions asked, just as Target should have done. I felt bad about it, but I'm also a frequent customer of that store, so I felt like they were just doing a favor for someone who was already one of their customers. Now I will reward them by being loyal to them and never shopping at Target again, but that's beside the point.

Because I received credit at the competing store, I refused an offer from Sabra for coupons for a free replacement product, and I also refused corporate Target 's offer for a gift card reimbursement. I was never looking to pull one over on anybody and it was never really about the money. I got the one refund to which I was entitled and then I refused every subsequent offer that would have unjustly enriched me.  Then people here criticized me for refusing the additional refunds.  Go figure.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016