AUTOMOTIVE PARTS LITIGATION: $604 MILLION SETTLEMENTS

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Auto Parts Settlements 
Overview of the Settlements
Twenty-three defendant groups and their affiliates (“Settling Defendants”) have agreed to Settlements resolving claims that they fixed the price of certain vehicle components. This may have caused individuals and businesses to pay more for certain new vehicles and replacement parts. These Settling Defendants deny any claims of wrongdoing.You may be included if, from 1996 to 2016, you: (1) bought or leased a qualifying new vehicle in the U.S. (not for resale); or (2) bought a qualifying vehicle replacement part (not for resale) from someone other than the manufacturer of the part. In general, qualifying vehicles are four-wheeled passenger automobiles, cars, light trucks, pickup trucks, crossovers, vans, mini-vans, and sport utility vehicles.In May 2016, settlements with 11 of the Settling Defendants (“Round 1 Settlements), totaling approximately $225 million, received final Court approval. Additional settlements totaling $379,401,268 have now been reached with 12 additional Settling Defendants. Those 12 additional Settling Defendants are called the “Round 2 Settling Defendants,” and the settlements with them are called the “Round 2 Settlements.” This website contains information about both the Round 1 and Round 2 Settlements. If you file a claim, it will be considered for inclusion in both the Round 1 and Round 2 Settlements.The Settlements, totaling approximately $604 Million, provide money for consumers in 30 states and the District of Columbia as well as non-monetary relief, including cooperation, and agreements by certain Settling Defendants not to engage in certain conduct for a period of 24 months. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I got the email as well and this is a big class.. lots of ppl should be eligible.

thanks!

Ugh. Only qualify for non-monetary benefits only.

I have purchased 5 new cars since 1996 and not a single one of them is on their list of eligible vehicles. You can go to the claim website and put in your vehicles and it will tell you if you are eligible.

turtlebug said:   Ugh. Only qualify for non-monetary benefits only.
  That's why they settled.  Most people won't even make use of the benefit.  Only lawyers make out in settlements like these.  It's a perfectly waste of time to fill out the form unless you know for sure you'll be able to use whatever coupons they give you.

Most likely Japanese car makers like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc will be eligible.

One of my 3 vehicles is eligible, but the parts listed have never been replaced. I guess I should count myself as fortunate..

it ask for proof of purchase.. what is expected

This will be interesting. My car falls into the list, but the effected part is the HID ballast, something my car doesn't have at its trim level. I guess it won't hurt to try. Only thing they can do is deny my claim.

Fat.. I uploaded a photo of the top section of my purchase agreement which linked the car to me.

I have parts replaced and affected bitnibdintbhavebreceipts
How do they consider without receipt?!

Several asking questions about proof of purchase. If they ask for it, and you don't have it, then you likely are SOL. Keep in mind that giving them all your info, including your name, address, VIN, price you paid, etc. gives them a wealth of info.

I chose to register only at this time and not provide any receipts or VINs. I'll wait to see how much this amounts to.

Have you seen how much the lawyer are making?

hey the Lawyers and the sextetartys work very HARD putting all that information that the peons will recieve there mere pittance....Its HARD work...and the partys !!have you ever tried to party 7 days a week,,its tough work,,,

Eradicate, they are in no business to share or sell that information, and this being the legal system that is exactly the info you need to provide.

EradicateSpam said:   Several asking questions about proof of purchase. If they ask for it, and you don't have it, then you likely are SOL. Keep in mind that giving them all your info, including your name, address, VIN, price you paid, etc. gives them a wealth of info.

I chose to register only at this time and not provide any receipts or VINs. I'll wait to see how much this amounts to.

not to mention that lying on these forms is committing perjury... not something I'd take lightly for a few bucks...

So this is only if you leased or purchased a NEW vehicle. Not if you purchased used, correct?

so what's the latest from all this...anyone hear anything?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017