• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
So I just bought a used laptop off a student. This person sold me a macbook pro 13 inch (3.1 Ghz i7, 512GB, 16GB). This is a good deal but I am worried parts could fail (I plan to use it as a dev machine). They bought it last year and they got a discount (educator). They have offered to buy applecare if necessary (I have 3 days to buy AppleCare). 
Can I buy this on Amazon? How is that version different? Can they buy it and transfer it to me? Do they have fill out paperwork to transfer it? Can we go to a store together and buy it and I have the applecare without needing paperwork? There are some student friends (interns etc) that can potentially buy it for the same discount. Is that allowed? I work at a non profit is there a discount for buying it for that? 

I assume it is worth it (the laptop was over $1000 used) and I am worried that eventually something would fail.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I don't have answers for most of you questions but I know a few years ago my husband bought a MacBook pro with his education discount for some programming work he was doing. When he finished the job he sold the computer on eBay with the AppleCare warranty (we always buy the AppleCare for our laptops). The warranty transferred without a problem since the warranty is tied to the computer, not the owner. I don't know what Amazon is selling, you'd have to check to see if it's AppleCare or some other company warranty.

Overall I've been happy with AppleCare for our laptops. About a month before the AppleCare warranty ran out on my MacBook Air I brought the computer to the Apple Store for a sticky space bar. The apple genius looked at it and said he thought I spilled something on it (which I didn't) and said he'd send it out to have them decide. A week or so later my computer came back with almost everything new inside except the hard drive and screen. They replaced the motherboard, battery, keyboard and I don't remember what else. I'm sure this is the exception and not the norm but wow!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016