• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I bought a Samsung TV from BJ's store. I was charged the tax, on the full list price, in New Jersey. When I went back to the store, I questioned them about the tax, expecting them to refund some part of the tax. Instead they told me, that they charge the full list price tax, on the Samsung. They gave me a form with the NJ tax code, and could not get any money back. It's essentially says the same thing as:
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/sales/anj9.pdf 

If you order a Samsung TV from BJ's online, you only pay the tax on the discounted rate. If go to a store, like HHGreg, Bestbuy, Target, etc, you only pay the tax, on the discounted rate.

I'm puzzled by this? Does Costco do the same thing?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Just to clarify companies would remit the sales tax to the State taxing authority (whatever it is called in that State) ... (more)

Rick505 (Dec. 03, 2016 @ 10:43a) |

Many times, sweeps include provision for a cash equivalent. Did she talk to the dealership?

rsuaver (Dec. 05, 2016 @ 10:55a) |

Yes I talked to them but the station had been driving the car and they would not go for a cash equivalent. I just though... (more)

tightpapa (Dec. 06, 2016 @ 7:39p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
If you are buying the exact same TV model, the tax treatment should be the same when you buy online or in store. The PDF you provided indicates that the tax treatment is different based on the type of discount, which could vary for two different TV models based on the discount offer for each model.

If you truly can buy the same model from BJs.com with a lower tax amount, I'd print it out and being it to the store to inquire.

rated:
jtdeals said:   If you are buying the exact same TV model, the tax treatment should be the same when you buy online or in store. The PDF you provided indicates that the tax treatment is different based on the type of discount, which could vary for two different TV models based on the discount offer for each model.

If you truly can buy the same model from BJs.com with a lower tax amount, I'd print it out and being it to the store to inquire.

  Well it's out of stock online, So I went to a different Samsung TV online, the tax is on the discounted rate. Printed it out, and hoping I can get some money back. Thank you OP!

rated:
If the item is listed as having an instant rebate, the Rebates section of the code may apply, taxing the pre-rebate amount. As jtdeals posted, this may vary from model to model.

rated:
I have a feeling they are wrong unless a instant rebate is involved. If the store doesnt budge, contact the NJ Division of Customer
Service by phone but preferably by e-mail at nj.taxation@treas.state.nj.us as it states on the pdf they gave you. That way,m you have an answer in writing. I would then start dealing with the corporate office at BJs rather than the local store. Put everything in writing at this point.

rated:
Simple....bring back the tv and tell them because of this...you want a full and complete refund.

rated:
Marvinomatic said:   I bought a Samsung TV from BJ's store. I was charged the tax, on the full list price, in New Jersey. When I went back to the store, I questioned them about the tax, expecting them to refund some part of the tax. Instead they told me, that they charge the full list price tax, on the Samsung. They gave me a form with the NJ tax code, and could not get any money back. It's essentially says the same thing as:
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/sales/anj9.pdf 

If you order a Samsung TV from BJ's online, you only pay the tax on the discounted rate. If go to a store, like HHGreg, Bestbuy, Target, etc, you only pay the tax, on the discounted rate.

I'm puzzled by this? Does Costco do the same thing?

  Just like getting a cell phone from your carrier, they give it to you dirt cheap or free.  You still have to pay tax on full price.

rated:
exmiuwu said:   
Marvinomatic said:   I bought a Samsung TV from BJ's store. I was charged the tax, on the full list price, in New Jersey. When I went back to the store, I questioned them about the tax, expecting them to refund some part of the tax. Instead they told me, that they charge the full list price tax, on the Samsung. They gave me a form with the NJ tax code, and could not get any money back. It's essentially says the same thing as:
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/sales/anj9.pdf 

If you order a Samsung TV from BJ's online, you only pay the tax on the discounted rate. If go to a store, like HHGreg, Bestbuy, Target, etc, you only pay the tax, on the discounted rate.

I'm puzzled by this? Does Costco do the same thing?

  Just like getting a cell phone from your carrier, they give it to you dirt cheap or free.  You still have to pay tax on full price.

  
This is completely different.  In OPs case, someone flagged the product as having an instant manufacturer's rebate instead of just being on sale. Because if this, the tax is on the full amount.

rated:
Marvinomatic said:   I bought a Samsung TV from BJ's store. I was charged the tax, on the full list price, in New Jersey. When I went back to the store, I questioned them about the tax, expecting them to refund some part of the tax. Instead they told me, that they charge the full list price tax, on the Samsung. They gave me a form with the NJ tax code, and could not get any money back. It's essentially says the same thing as:
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/sales/anj9.pdf 

If you order a Samsung TV from BJ's online, you only pay the tax on the discounted rate. If go to a store, like HHGreg, Bestbuy, Target, etc, you only pay the tax, on the discounted rate.

I'm puzzled by this? Does Costco do the same thing?

  Yes Costco does the same thing atleast in NC when I bought Samsung TV on Black Friday deal.
  TV price is 850 but tax for prediscounted price 1150 I guess and OTD is 937 inclusive taxes

rated:
My daughter won a car (via a radio station) and had to pay sales tax - in Kansas. What a rip.

rated:
If it is tax on the "instant" rebate then I understand. You would pay tax on the the pre rebate amount and you don't have to mail and wait for the check.

rated:
tightpapa said:   My daughter won a car (via a radio station) and had to pay sales tax - in Kansas. What a rip.
Easy solution, if you don't like the deal (they pay for the car, you pay for the sales tax), simply say "no thank you" and walk away, and they will find someone more appreciative to give the car to.

P.S.: That is probably not so much a Kansas thing as a radio station thing, the fine print probably said they weren't responsible for paying the sales tax (but they could still advertise a "free car"). The radio station bought the car and sales tax is owed on the purchase price, the dealer did not give away the car for free.

The part you REALLY won't like is she may also have to pay INCOME tax on the value of the car she received for free!

rated:
just wait till you get the 1099 IRS tax bill....

rated:
Marvinomatic said:   
jtdeals said:   If you are buying the exact same TV model, the tax treatment should be the same when you buy online or in store. The PDF you provided indicates that the tax treatment is different based on the type of discount, which could vary for two different TV models based on the discount offer for each model.

If you truly can buy the same model from BJs.com with a lower tax amount, I'd print it out and being it to the store to inquire.

  Well it's out of stock online, So I went to a different Samsung TV online, the tax is on the discounted rate. Printed it out, and hoping I can get some money back. Thank you OP!

  
Today I went to BJ's, brought along the Samsung order online. It's $150 less, and you pay the tax on the remaining price, just to show them! I showed Customer Service the bill, which I paid the Tax on the full amount, even though it was discounted. I went through 3 people, and a manager.  I showed them the order online, and my bill! They hemmed and hawed! They said if you order online, you don't pay the Tax of the full amount. They said, maybe it's in a different State. (Huh! They didn't know?) Finally I received some of the Tax back, on the discounted rate!

Bottom line, always order from BJ's online, for every TV. Maybe order online, from Costco, and Sams club for any TV. You won't pay the full price Tax!

(If you truly can buy the same model from BJs.com with a lower tax amount, I'd print it out and being it to the store to inquire) Thank you jtdeals, and everyone that answered!

Maybe I'll go to BJ's Restaurant, for a Steak! Oops wrong BJ's!



   

rated:
tightpapa said:   My daughter won a car (via a radio station) and had to pay sales tax - in Kansas. What a rip.
  Not really a "rip" - just standard practice.  The radio station probably was not the actual party "giving" the car, but rather a sponsor.  Most states require a registrant of a car to pay sales tax at the time of registration, if not already paid to an authorized dealer.  This is true, even if you get the car from an individual or as a gift.  The question is determining the "taxable value" of the car - sales price in a sale, or fair market value otherwise.  The same value will show up on the 1099 at the end of the year.  

rated:
why wouldnt she have to pay tax on the car?  Its not even remotely the same as the OPs situation.  The car is considered taxable income and therefore she needs to pay tax. You dont like it, then dont take the car.

rated:
AlwaysWrite said:   
tightpapa said:   My daughter won a car (via a radio station) and had to pay sales tax - in Kansas. What a rip.
Easy solution, if you don't like the deal (they pay for the car, you pay for the sales tax), simply say "no thank you" and walk away, and they will find someone more appreciative to give the car to.

P.S.: That is probably not so much a Kansas thing as a radio station thing, the fine print probably said they weren't responsible for paying the sales tax (but they could still advertise a "free car"). The radio station bought the car and sales tax is owed on the purchase price, the dealer did not give away the car for free.

The part you REALLY won't like is she may also have to pay INCOME tax on the value of the car she received for free!

  
I believe they are only responsible for the tax of the value that the radio received the car for. If the radio station only paid $15k for a $20k car, you only have to pay tax on the $15k. This happened to me and I only had to pay tax on the lower amount.

rated:
I agree with returning it and getting a full refund. Surely Best Buy or WalMart will price match, no?

rated:
Marvinomatic said:   
Marvinomatic said:   
jtdeals said:   If you are buying the exact same TV model, the tax treatment should be the same when you buy online or in store. The PDF you provided indicates that the tax treatment is different based on the type of discount, which could vary for two different TV models based on the discount offer for each model.

If you truly can buy the same model from BJs.com with a lower tax amount, I'd print it out and being it to the store to inquire.

  Well it's out of stock online, So I went to a different Samsung TV online, the tax is on the discounted rate. Printed it out, and hoping I can get some money back. Thank you OP!

  
Today I went to BJ's, brought along the Samsung order online. It's $150 less, and you pay the tax on the remaining price, just to show them! I showed Customer Service the bill, which I paid the Tax on the full amount, even though it was discounted. I went through 3 people, and a manager.  I showed them the order online, and my bill! They hemmed and hawed! They said if you order online, you don't pay the Tax of the full amount. They said, maybe it's in a different State. (Huh! They didn't know?) Finally I received some of the Tax back, on the discounted rate!

Bottom line, always order from BJ's online, for every TV. Maybe order online, from Costco, and Sams club for any TV. You won't pay the full price Tax!

(If you truly can buy the same model from BJs.com with a lower tax amount, I'd print it out and being it to the store to inquire) Thank you jtdeals, and everyone that answered!

Maybe I'll go to BJ's Restaurant, for a Steak! Oops wrong BJ's!



   

  Just wondering how much you've saved on the tax difference to compensate for your time and driving back.?

rated:
This has nothing to do with the TV guys. I found this in costco warehouse on all the products they sell. they charge sales tax on the full price not on the sale price.

rated:
In my experience, BJs is one of the shadiest retailers with regard to how it handles sales tax.

rated:
docjoo said:   
Marvinomatic said:   
Marvinomatic said:   
jtdeals said:   If you are buying the exact same TV model, the tax treatment should be the same when you buy online or in store. The PDF you provided indicates that the tax treatment is different based on the type of discount, which could vary for two different TV models based on the discount offer for each model.

If you truly can buy the same model from BJs.com with a lower tax amount, I'd print it out and being it to the store to inquire.

  Well it's out of stock online, So I went to a different Samsung TV online, the tax is on the discounted rate. Printed it out, and hoping I can get some money back. Thank you OP!

  
Today I went to BJ's, brought along the Samsung order online. It's $150 less, and you pay the tax on the remaining price, just to show them! I showed Customer Service the bill, which I paid the Tax on the full amount, even though it was discounted. I went through 3 people, and a manager.  I showed them the order online, and my bill! They hemmed and hawed! They said if you order online, you don't pay the Tax of the full amount. They said, maybe it's in a different State. (Huh! They didn't know?) Finally I received some of the Tax back, on the discounted rate!

Bottom line, always order from BJ's online, for every TV. Maybe order online, from Costco, and Sams club for any TV. You won't pay the full price Tax!

(If you truly can buy the same model from BJs.com with a lower tax amount, I'd print it out and being it to the store to inquire) Thank you jtdeals, and everyone that answered!

Maybe I'll go to BJ's Restaurant, for a Steak! Oops wrong BJ's!



   

  Just wondering how much you've saved on the tax difference to compensate for your time and driving back.?

  
It was a display Model. They had none left when I was there. (The display model, was only 2 weeks old) It was a Samsung UN43KU530 which lists for $749.99, with the discount because I bought the display model, it was $325. They reduced the tax. I saved $29.75 total.

The store was only 4 miles away, but it was the principle! Why should I pay the full the full list price, when it was discounted? Besides when I went there, I bought other things.  

rated:
Marvinomatic said:   
docjoo said:   
  Just wondering how much you've saved on the tax difference to compensate for your time and driving back.?

  
It was a display Model. They had none left when I was there. (The display model, was only 2 weeks old) It was a Samsung UN43KU530 which lists for $749.99, with the discount because I bought the display model, it was $325. They reduced the tax. I saved $29.75 total.

The store was only 4 miles away, but it was the principle! Why should I pay the full the full list price, when it was discounted? Besides when I went there, I bought other things.  

And so how much did that cost you in addition to the gas & time? ;-P   

rated:
AlwaysWrite said:   
Marvinomatic said:   
docjoo said:   
  Just wondering how much you've saved on the tax difference to compensate for your time and driving back.?

  
It was a display Model. They had none left when I was there. (The display model, was only 2 weeks old) It was a Samsung UN43KU530 which lists for $749.99, with the discount because I bought the display model, it was $325. They reduced the tax. I saved $29.75 total.

The store was only 4 miles away, but it was the principle! Why should I pay the full the full list price, when it was discounted? Besides when I went there, I bought other things.  

And so how much did that cost you in addition to the gas & time? ;-P   

 I assume BJ being a reputable legitimate company who remits actual sales tax to IRS will do remit that alleged extra tax charged. Since it's just the principle and no the actual value lost, just consider it part of your gift giving to help your local gov. Happy holidays.

rated:
GuyFromNJ said:   
 
 I assume BJ being a reputable legitimate company who remits actual sales tax to IRS will do remit that alleged extra tax charged. Since it's just the principle and no the actual value lost, just consider it part of your gift giving to help your local gov. Happy holidays.

  Just to clarify companies would remit the sales tax to the State taxing authority (whatever it is called in that State) and not to the IRS.

rated:
tightpapa said:   My daughter won a car (via a radio station) and had to pay sales tax - in Kansas. What a rip.
  
Many times, sweeps include provision for a cash equivalent. Did she talk to the dealership?

rated:
rsuaver said:   
tightpapa said:   My daughter won a car (via a radio station) and had to pay sales tax - in Kansas. What a rip.
  
Many times, sweeps include provision for a cash equivalent. Did she talk to the dealership?

  Yes I talked to them but the station had been driving the car and they would not go for a cash equivalent. I just thought it was strange they just didn't cover the sales tax as part of the prize. This has been a while ago. Actually two of my daughters have won cars. I understand why but at the time it seemed strange.
Sorry didn't mean to jack the thread. 

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016