FOUND MONEY! Old Ebay GC's with funds left, now showing up as payment option on EBAY C/O Screen!

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Ebay Gift Card Funds - Checkout
Disclaimer
Great news!

Remember how eBay GC's disappeared from our paypal wallets where they had various balances left on them and there was no way to really know what was what as far as knowing your 'true' gift card balances?

Well, just now, I went to pay for an item and out of the blue, about $45 in gift card credit that I had no way of tracking down showed up as an option on my payment screen!

you select the GC with balance on it you want to apply towards the current purchase. So nice to find this $45 in missing eBay money!

Member Summary

eBay
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1525220?showmessage=196... 

fivetalents;19692287 said:

I noticed when I placed an order on eB ay last week that (for the first time?) they started including remaining balances on all     eB ay GCs at checkout. To see if your "don't exist anymore" GCs show up there, add an item to your cart, go to your cart, click checkout  (dont actually checkout/complete the purchase) and scroll down to "Gift cards, coupons, eB ay Bucks.To complete checkout with a gift card, coupon or eB ay Bucks, please select PayPal or PayPal Credit." 

The only thing that use to be listed under this section was "Enter code:," and the empty box for you to type or paste any codes. Now (since last week?), above the "Enter code:" you will see an itemized list of any unused balances on all of your eB ay GCs, including the last 4 digits of each GC. The list will look someting like this:
□ Gift Cardx-4567  Available: $8.67
□ Gift Cardx-8901  Available: $64.93
□ Gift Cardx-0123  Available: $5.00

I noticed that this worked withe some items (e.g., mixed nuts, no tax) but not others (e.g. a handbag whose seller collects sales tax), so try a different item if your GCs are not itemized. At this early stage, I'm guessing this only applies to GCs locked to your account after you used some/not all of their value in a previous purchase (since locking unused GCs to an account would prevent gifting). So, if PayP al refunded your money to the original GCs that you rolled, they may show up here (even if the current balance is 100% of their value because your previous purchase locked the card to your account). Even if PayP al issued a refund that got credited to a new card # because the original # is no longer in the system, the replacement number may be linked to your account since the orignal number was linked too (otherwise, in my mind, you should have received a new/unique order confirmation and claim link from PayP al). Either way, it's  pretty easy to try and can't hurt to check. The other good thing about this new feature is that you don't need to know the full GC # to use remaining balances at checkout: you just check all, some, or none of the GCs you want to use on the cart/purchase at checkout.

Had about 12 bucks left on mine that I didn't know about. Thank you!

Yes. This is a side effect of eBay/paypal finally fixing the gift cards they screwed up when paypal and eBay separated.

Warning YMMV: the gift card codes don't appear every time in check out. I made 4 separate purchases in one day. The codes appeared in the first 3, then disappeared in the fourth. I had to get a code off a physical gift card to make the 4th purchase.

Speaking of this- the new rules are bad for use of gift cards. I went to buy 2 gold coins. While they qualified for the 10% sale, I was not able to use 2 of my gift cards to the purchase. This is bad news. I sold some other store gift cards, and the pay out was higher to trade for eBay or Amazon cards, so I have $244 coming to a gift card that I will not be able to buy precious metals for- or other gift cards. That sucks.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017