• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
http://6abc.com/travel/jan-2018-pa-drivers-license-not-valid-id-...

This goes into effect in about 13 months, unless your state becomes compliant by then, you will need to get a passport or have one of these acceptable forms of Federal ID:

Here's a†list from the TSA:
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
Permanent resident card

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: DEAL DISCUSSION, TRAVEL DISCUSSION, DEAL DISCUSSION. — Mar. 25, 2017 @ 11:31am
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
It's the federal government trying to scare states into becoming Real ID compliant. Unfortunately they probably shouldn'... (more)

calwatch (Dec. 26, 2016 @ 1:07a) |

Good job noticing that Vegas! †Well people in Montana are either lucky or going to be pissed in 2018.
What a government s... (more)

forbin4040 (Dec. 27, 2016 @ 1:48p) |

Here is an interesting article regarding Real ID

http://www.constitutionalalliance.org/node/365

damulag (Dec. 28, 2016 @ 9:06a) |

So what can you use instead of a driver's license?
Here's a list from the TSA:
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
Permanent resident card

Border crossing card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

But for now, until Jan. 22, 2018, to be specific, residents of all states - including Pennsylvania - will still be able to use a state-issued driver's license or identification card for domestic air travel.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
you know this is a year from now

rated:
forbin4040 said:   you know this is a year from now
††

Um, yes forbin, read my title and my post again. clearly said "13 months from now" in the op.

However, this is significant, and given it can take 2 months or more to get a passport, compounded with people who either didn't know about this or who travel for business to make a living, lots of advance notice is certainly prudent. You don't have the proper ID, you don't fly, and I certainly wouldn't wait til November of 2017 to do something about it given, everyone will be piling on for required ID. †You are talking about millions and millions of people who will be affected by this change. We've seen how well the government handles huge overflows of applications for Affordable Healthcare and other things....so getting your ducks in a row the next 6 months to get the proper ID is not a bad idea.

rated:
If don't need a real passport you can get a passport card valid for 10 years, it cost $30

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

rated:
taoufik said:   If don't need a real passport you can get a passport card valid for 10 years, it cost $30

††

Yes, good point. However, it you think there's even a slim chance you may travel internationally in the next 10 years, probably best to invest in a real passport versus the card. Think you even need a Passport for Mexico now.

rated:
Just informing everyone about a 'deal' that is 12 months in the future is a bit 'early' there MrCheap.

And I did hear that Passports are needed for Mexico, but coworkers who go there tell me different. Might be part of the Obama 'executive action'. Dunno

rated:
taoufik said:   If don't need a real passport you can get a passport card valid for 10 years, it cost $30

† Renewal is $30 the initial cost is $55. Being from Montana I guess I'll have to go this route.† It doesn't look like they are doing anything to speed up implementing the enhanced drivers license here other than asking for extensions and obviously they aren't getting any more.

And if using the passport card for travel outside the U.S. they are only good for travel by car or ship and to very limited locations. You'll need a full passport for air travel.

rated:
In MN we have an enhanced ID and Drivers License that one can already get that is approved by the TSA.†

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Just informing everyone about a 'deal' that is 12 months in the future is a bit 'early' there MrCheap.

And I did hear that Passports are needed for Mexico, but coworkers who go there tell me different. Might be part of the Obama 'executive action'. Dunno

† Did President Obama invent time travel?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere_Travel_Initiati...

rated:
Yes, I just came back from Mexico, passport is required†

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   

††

Yes, good point. However, it you think there's even a slim chance you may travel internationally in the next 10 years, probably best to invest in a real passport versus the card. Think you even need a Passport for Mexico now.

† At the border crossing Matamoros/Brownsville, TX all you have to show is your drivers license & birth certificate. †Same true at Reynosa, Progresso & Miguel Alem'an checkpoints - †checkpoints in the RGV. †I have my Passport card & cross frequently with a Latino friend (US citizen) that does not. †All he uses is his certified birth certificate & Texas drivers license. †I agree PC is the best bet to ensure entry.

White water rafting in the Rio Bravo (Rio Grande) in the RGV is pretty awesome. †

rated:
I fly out of Oregon (no passport required) but I live in Washington state (requires passport). Do I need a passport?

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   taoufik said:   If don't need a real passport you can get a passport card valid for 10 years, it cost $30

††

Passport card is perfectly fine if you travel to Canada or Mexico by land.. or go on a cruise that starts and ends in US.
Source: Me. Have traveled to Canada many times (since Mrs is from there) by car with passport card.. and just went on a cruise last week to Bahamas. Just took our passport cards.

rated:
FIWALY said:   I fly out of Oregon (no passport required) but I live in Washington state (requires passport). Do I need a passport?
† If you have a WA ID it won't work. †It doesn't matter where you fly out of.

rated:
busnut said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

† At the border crossing Matamoros/Brownsville, TX all you have to show is your drivers license & birth certificate.

††
For land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean, you need ID and proof of citizenship. This can be a passport, passport card, enhanced drivers license, or drivers license and other documentation.

Passports are required for everything else, including air travel between the U.S. and Mexico or Canada.

rated:
I have a passport from a deal about 5 years ago when they were free
In Wisconsin we have the option of getting a 'real id' drivers license, it looks like any normal one, but has a gold star in the right corner, It is a lot easier to haul around than a passport, and didn't cost any extra when I got a new license, it just involved a few more proofs as to who I was. It is good at anything federal and airport for id purposes, plus driving.

rated:
Good info, but not nothing about it is a "deal".

rated:
drodge said:   
FIWALY said:   I fly out of Oregon (no passport required) but I live in Washington state (requires passport). Do I need a passport?
† If you have a WA ID it won't work. †It doesn't matter where you fly out of.

† Just get a WA enhanced driver license. †OP, you may want to add this "Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington are the only states that currently issue EDLs.†" https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs†

rated:
† It's not the state your flying out of, it's the state ID you present to TSA when you go through security.†

rated:
Mr C, you missed Illinois in your list.† You're becoming careless in your posts.†

rated:
Thank you for posting this. I know it fakes a few months to get a passport so the advanced notice is good.

rated:
Thanks OP.
Good to have advance notice.

OT: I am going to RGV in a month's time and was wondering if anyone has any input what will be required at the airport (in/out).

rated:
ach1199 said:   Mr C, you missed Illinois in your list.† You're becoming careless in your posts.†
††

No I didn't ach, no where in the article I linked to is Illinois listed. If you have a specific link showing Illinois isn't in compliance, please share it, but please read my link as the source before accusing me of being sloppy.†

Other states not in compliance†in addition to PA, include Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Washington.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   Good info, but not nothing about it is a "deal".
††

really? Deal Discussion is about related info to any deal, positive or negative. †In this case, airline fares, which you will totally eat if you don't have the proper ID to get past TSA starting next January 2018.†

RED for your comment as an added bonus.

rated:
Calm down, MrCheap. The Sky†is NOT falling here.
Does anyone really think that air travel will be suddenly cut off for all these people, because of some bureaucratic requirement? That tens of thousands will suddenly be stranded at airports and lose their tickets? That entire airports in large cities like Seattle †will be empty because most of the population can't fly anymore??
It's never going to happen.

There will either be an extension of the current status, or new Real ID driver licenses will be issued. Probably a combination. ie Any license that comes up for renewal will have to become Real ID.

The vast majority of people don't have passports. If they all rushed to get one now, the system would be completely overwhelmed. There would have to be massive advertising to even make people aware of this requirement.

I don't think any state politician in his right mind would let his state fall into this hole. It would kill their economy, and the responsible politicians would be shown the door with a major kick in the behind.

rated:
ach1199 said:   Mr C, you missed Illinois in your list.† You're becoming careless in your posts.†
† IL is due in 2020 (as well as CA)

Mr C still has 2 years before he would normally post that.

rated:
REAL ID and You: Rumor Control​
dhs said: Rumor: I need to get a new driverís license or passport

Fact: You have until October 2020 to replace your current license with a REAL ID compliant license, as long as your state is compliant or is noncompliant with an extension.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   Calm down, MrCheap. The Sky†is NOT falling here.
Does anyone really think that air travel will be suddenly cut off for all these people, because of some bureaucratic requirement? That tens of thousands will suddenly be stranded at airports and lose their tickets? That entire airports in large cities like Seattle †will be empty because most of the population can't fly anymore??

There will either be an extension of the current status, or new Real ID driver licenses will be issued. Probably a combination. ie Any license that comes up for renewal will have to become Real ID.

The vast majority of people don't have passports. If they all rushed to get one now, the system would be completely overwhelmed. There would have to be massive advertising to even make people aware of this requirement.

I don't think any state politician in his right mind would let his state fall into this hole. It would kill their economy, and the responsible politicians would be shown the door with a major kick in the behind.

††

Can't say, but the states in question have known about this for quite some time and it has been pushed back already. at some point, especially given the changes coming in Washington, I bet you will see this implemented.†

I for one would not want to be on the wrong end of the bet here. I posted this 13 months ahead of time to give people AMPLE warning, just like the states were given, and still couldn't work it out in the case of a few. If you choose to think you can wait til November of 2017 to do something about it, that's your call. But as I mentioned, some people fly on business or regular trips to visit family and can't putz around about it.

I'm calm, just frustrated with some of the comments left here. As with any deal or any post, what you choose to do is up to you, but don't shoot the messenger.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   REAL ID and You: Rumor Control​
dhs said: Rumor: I need to get a new driverís license or passport

Fact: You have until October 2020 to replace your current license with a REAL ID compliant license, as long as your state is compliant or is noncompliant with an extension.

† I live in New Jersey. "New Jersey has an extension which allows federal agencies to accept driver's licenses until Oct. 10, 2017" Did they make a mistake here, because it starts Jan 2018?
†††

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   

††

Can't say, but the states in question have known about this for quite some time and it has been pushed back already. at some point, especially given the changes coming in Washington, I bet you will see this implemented.†

I for one would not want to be on the wrong end of the bet here. I posted this 13 months ahead of time to give people AMPLE warning, just like the states were given, and still couldn't work it out in the case of a few. If you choose to think you can wait til November of 2017 to do something about it, that's your call. But as I mentioned, some people fly on business or regular trips to visit family and can't putz around about it.

I'm calm, just frustrated with some of the comments left here. As with any deal or any post, what you choose to do is up to you, but don't shoot the messenger.

† I think you're right that this will eventually happen. However, not in a way that creates an economic catastrophe and where politicians get hung from the nearest light pole. Eventually, the states will be cajoled to come around. Maybe with extra funding as a sweetener.

The new administration in Washington will likely be interested in more targeted methods to intensely vet people of interest to them. Real ID doesn't differentiate based on religion and ethnicity, so it's not likely to be a high priority. I would think that a program that requires Muslims to wear green crescent badges for quick identification is a more appealing project for them.

rated:
Just put the IDs on smartphones or have fingerprint scanning. Make it a lot easier...

The government also needs to get rid of TWIC cards, those are ridiculous. Every 5yrs paying for a completely useless "ID card".

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   

††

††
There's nothing wrong with shooting the messenger when following the messenger's advice is actually going to COST people money. Your advice is essentially, "if you live in one of these states, get a passport soon if you need to fly in 2018." That's expensive, time consuming, and completely unnecessary if you aren't planning on flying outside of the country. So yes, this post is just perpetuating a a local news scare story (look and where your link came from) AND it's not a deal. It deserves red and should be moved to the travel forum or off topic.

Canoeguy is 100% correct. These states will either start complying, get individual exemptions, or the effective date of the law as a whole will get extended. Imagine the headline "Trump Administration to force residents of 9 states to spend $100 on passports for domestic air travel." Do you think Trump, or any politician for that matter, would want to get stuck with that albatross around their neck when they can just kick the can down the road? Of course not.

rated:
meade18 said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

††

††
There's nothing wrong with shooting the messenger when following the messenger's advice is actually going to COST people money. Your advice is essentially, "if you live in one of these states, get a passport soon if you need to fly in 2018." That's expensive, time consuming, and completely unnecessary if you aren't planning on flying outside of the country. So yes, this post is just perpetuating a a local news scare story (look and where your link came from) AND it's not a deal. It deserves red and should be moved to the travel forum or off topic.

Canoeguy is 100% correct. These states will either start complying, get individual exemptions, or the effective date of the law as a whole will get extended. Imagine the headline "Trump Administration to force residents of 9 states to spend $100 on passports for domestic air travel." Do you think Trump, or any politician for that matter, would want to get stuck with that albatross around their neck when they can just kick the can down the road? Of course not.

††

Funny, never knew an opinion to be 100% correct. I think my opinion is 100% correct. All I suggested was, not waiting til November of 2017 to do something about if this is indeed is going through.†

As for the $100, it was already posted that the ID card is $30.

Do as you please, but as of TODAY, this is what is known. †

rated:
Will this be accelerated during the next Administration?

rated:
It was already posted INCORRECTLY that the ID card is $30 and then someone correctly pointed out that a new passport card will cost you $55. And you have to apply in person.

My main point MisterCheap is that this was a "scare our viewers news tease" type local story, not a press release from the TSA. Anyone who watches the local news knows what I'm talking about. For example, when they say, "Could your hiccups be a sign of cancer? Watch news 6 tonight!" https://youtu.be/xLSQXIAvgG4

Until this info is actually being pushed by the feds or the airlines, no one has anything to worry about.

rated:
meade18 said:   
Do you think Trump, or any politician for that matter, would want to get stuck with that albatross around their neck when they can just kick the can down the road?

Wrong............anything is possible with Trump.†

But on a serious note, it is useful to know. I certainly don't want to be stuck at the airport AND lose money on my discount†ticket at the same time.

rated:
meade18 said:   It was already posted INCORRECTLY that the ID card is $30 and then someone correctly pointed out that a new passport card will cost you $55. And you have to apply in person.

††

Yes, I understand there is a degree of 'fear factor' in this. †But I'm sure most people would rather be in the know about the potential change NOW than hearing about it next October. At the very least, it does give people in the states affected good reason to contact their local state reps. to try and get what ever needs to be changed, changed....to avoid any hassle, additional fees for other Federal ID issuance.

The other possibility to someone's earlier point that this will "never' happen is, some of the states listed will fall into compliance by next year, leaving just 2 or 3 left on the list, and you can bet those few states will be SOL, since it's such a small number, but still could affect 20 million people if its two bigger states like PA and MO.

rated:
You do, indeed, need a passport if you are FLYING to Mexico or Canada. Driving or on a cruise ship, the card is sufficient. But, if you depart the US on a plane, you must have a passport.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   I don't think any state politician in his right mind would let his state fall into this hole. It would kill their economy, and the responsible politicians would be shown the door with a major kick in the behind.
† OMG you are so funny.† "state politician in his right mind"† I'm gonna use that at the company Christmas party.† I remember a lot of people not knowing about the last change that restricted air travel to Mexico and Canada.† I remember people losing their tickets because of documentation issues.† I remember confusion because driving across the border had different documentation requirements from air travel.† I remember passports getting backed up.†I don't think it hurts to discuss the matter here.
brazilia120 said:   You do, indeed, need a passport if you are FLYING to Mexico or Canada. Driving or on a cruise ship, the card is sufficient. But, if you depart the US on a plane, you must have a passport.
† This proves that we need to discuss the topic.† brazilia120 is correct and†brazilia120 is not passing along any new information.† Other people are still confused so we should discuss the matter.† You can't count on the TSA to keep you informed.

Skipping 12 Messages...
rated:
Here is an interesting article regarding Real ID

http://www.constitutionalalliance.org/node/365

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017