• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm sure a few of you have been doing this and are continuing to do so.  Let the sub roll to higher price point, call in because the service isn't worth more than $5/mo (to me it isn't) and then after cancel brinxmanship they agree to get you back on the $5/5.  I have been doing this for years and years.  I wish they would just evergreen it and stop wasting their time and mine w/ the rollover shenanigans.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

use a gc?

No need to cancel. Just call the day before the auto renewal. Very simple. Tell them you want to cancel unless they offer you the same deal. After a couple of nonsense offers, they'll give you the same deal. Call back after six months. Note that there's a $25 for 5 months and a $30 for 6 months. The latter one is a little harder to get but doable.

needhelpplease said:   use a gc?
Amex prepaid giftcard works.  Bancorp Vanilla Visa does not.

DTASFAB said:   

What problems are you trying to solve with these?  Let me guess: preventing your card being charged on rollover?  That's not a big deal to me.  I always call in a day or two after rollover (they can't fix it before it happens), so if I'm on the bad pricing for two days no biggie - they do the right math and refund you.

rsuaver said:   No need to cancel. Just call the day before the auto renewal. Very simple. Tell them you want to cancel unless they offer you the same deal. After a couple of nonsense offers, they'll give you the same deal. Call back after six months. Note that there's a $25 for 5 months and a $30 for 6 months. The latter one is a little harder to get but doable.
Who said anything about actual cancel?  In the past I've been told they can't make the switch until the rollover a day or two later.  But that's splitting hairs on a day or two (or not!) of higher rates.  I hope I was clear the cancel per se never happens because I'm always rescued as a valued customer, cancel is just part of the conversation.

Bagofchips said:   
DTASFAB said:   

What problems are you trying to solve with these?  Let me guess: preventing your card being charged on rollover?  That's not a big deal to me.  I always call in a day or two after rollover (they can't fix it before it happens), so if I'm on the bad pricing for two days no biggie - they do the right math and refund you.

They require a CC on file for the recurring renewal charges.  I know for a fact I have zero interest in ever renewing at the standard rate.  So why should I give them the opportunity to charge the real price to a real CC that I'll have to try to have reversed later when I can just pay with a GC and then drain the remaining funds on the GC within the 5-6 months leading up to the next renewal?  I'd rather let the full price renewal charge get declined and have service shut off if I should forget to call on the appropriate day or if I'm otherwise predisposed or incapacitated.

Also, there's already a long thread on this https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1197599

i mean xm GC

I've been doing this for several years. Works every time.

DTASFAB said:   

Get a CitiBank MasterCard.  One of the many benefits is their Virtual Credit Card Number Generator.  You can limit the $ amount and the length of time.  IE $50 max over next 2 mo, 3 mo, 12 mo or 24 mo.  Several threads here on FW about VAN.  Use this feature all the time.  Also limit your exposure for a unknown online merchant.  Darn good product.

Bagofchips said:   
DTASFAB said:   

no need to wait until after...you can call before the promo rate ends and get it again...

I have been with sirius for over 10 years and they wont let me have this promo deal BUT they will let me have 90 a year for one internet account, one car account and both include Howard. I just call right before its up ans tell them I will only renew at the rate I had before. For the last three years, they have ok'ed that! I truly would rather tell them what I want to pay without spending hours on the phone haggling.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017