CITGO Top Tier gasoline

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Was looking at the gas buddy prices and Citgo is the cheapest gas in my area that is on the top tier list as approved by the automakers.  While I hear Shell V Power is really good, Shell is 50% owned by the Saudis and comes at higher pricing.  Citgo is owned by the Vuenezelans and the refineries are mortgaged by Rosneft of Russia.  Sure, there is even cheaper like Valero or other top tier but they are further away from me.  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Costco has the cheapest Top Tier gas.

And what is your point OP, other than a rant about who owns what?

Makes sense: Oil comes from countries that have oil.

I also don't think it matters who owns what. The people who work at your local gas station are far removed from what is going on in other continents. You're supporting them too.

Moving to Venezuela?

The quality of gas can be very regional. In most areas the gas comes from one or two pipelines with the main difference being additives added just before delivery. I usually hunt for low prices/promos. My last fillup cost 99.9 cents/gallon after using points earned buying groceries and gift cards at the local Randall's grocery (aka Safeway).

deeder said:   Was looking at the gas buddy prices and Citgo is the cheapest gas in my area that is on the top tier list as approved by the automakers.  While I hear Shell V Power is really good, Shell is 50% owned by the Saudis and comes at higher pricing.  Citgo is owned by the Vuenezelans and the refineries are mortgaged by Rosneft of Russia.  Sure, there is even cheaper like Valero or other top tier but they are further away from me.  

What does ownership of oil companies or what gas stations are located near wherever you are have to do with finance? 

Oh I know how the gas markets work even if I never worked in the industry. I agree Costco is cheapest but far away with huge lines and sometimes a membership is required though I don't recall them checkig membership when I was in the car with someone who stopped at Costco for gas.

Non costco, Valero and Citgo tend to be cheapest for top tier tho some Exxon/Mobil stations have good pricing as well in some locations. While Costco does add the detergent to gasoline, with name brand you have more consistency. Shell tends to be higher priced and BP gets higher tier pricing as well. Sometimes certain supplies are mixed at the pipeline but others can come in separately.

A small citgo station approx .8 miles away has the lowest price in an under 2 mile radius. The other nearby stations are Exxon/Mobil, BP, Sunoco which isnt on the top tier list and non branded gas stations..

One of the offbranded stations was putting new tanks in and expanding the facility. You would think they would want to get a name brand franchise. Consumers don't see. To be well educated when it comes to knowing how lesser gasoline can be worse for the vehicle.

deeder said:   Oh I know how the gas markets work
Apparently not. See below.

A small citgo station approx .8 miles away has the lowest price in an under 2 mile radius.

Wow.

One of the offbranded stations was putting new tanks in and expanding the facility. You would think they would want to get a name brand franchise. Consumers don't see. To be well educated when it comes to knowing how lesser gasoline can be worse for the vehicle.

Since you say you know how the gas markets work, then you know that the same jobbers service many brands of filling stations. At best, the only difference between brand deliveries in the same market/EPA requirements is the detergents added at the terminal. But the base gasoline travels on the same pipeline, the same barges, and the same trucks.  And all  gasolines and all detergents must meet the same EPA standards for the region. 

Often, the best gas comes from the off-brand places because in some regions, they get fuel that has less (or no) ethanol. The big name brands are pretty consistent with their 10% ethanol mix. If you're really looking for the best quality gas, find an off brand station that has pure gasoline, then add some of your own detergent when filling your car.

What was the point of this discussion?

DTASFAB said:   Often, the best gas comes from the off-brand places because in some regions, they get fuel that has less (or no) ethanol. The big name brands are pretty consistent with their 10% ethanol mix. If you're really looking for the best quality gas, find an off brand station that has pure gasoline, then add some of your own detergent when filling your car.

Where in the United States did you find an automobile gasoline station that has "pure gasoline" without any EPA mandated detergents? 

NEDeals said:   
DTASFAB said:   Often, the best gas comes from the off-brand places because in some regions, they get fuel that has less (or no) ethanol. The big name brands are pretty consistent with their 10% ethanol mix. If you're really looking for the best quality gas, find an off brand station that has pure gasoline, then add some of your own detergent when filling your car.

Where in the United States did you find an automobile gasoline station that has "pure gasoline" without any EPA mandated detergents? 

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

deeder said:   Oh I know how the gas markets work even if I never worked in the industry. I agree Costco is cheapest but far away with huge lines and sometimes a membership is required though I don't recall them checkig membership when I was in the car with someone who stopped at Costco for gas.

Non costco, Valero and Citgo tend to be cheapest for top tier tho some Exxon/Mobil stations have good pricing as well in some locations. While Costco does add the detergent to gasoline, with name brand you have more consistency. Shell tends to be higher priced and BP gets higher tier pricing as well. Sometimes certain supplies are mixed at the pipeline but others can come in separately.

A small citgo station approx .8 miles away has the lowest price in an under 2 mile radius. The other nearby stations are Exxon/Mobil, BP, Sunoco which isnt on the top tier list and non branded gas stations..

That's not how it works.  They don't need to check manually because the pumps are hard-coded to validate costco membership before it even lets you insert your credit card

woowoo2 said:   
NEDeals said:   

That's ethanol free, not detergents. Now, all gas should be ethanol free but that's another issue...

I avoid Citgo, Lukoil, and Q8 gas stations because I don't like the politics of the owning countries.

woowoo2 said:   
NEDeals said:   

Your link only shows ethanol free gas, which is relatively easy to find in many areas.  My question was in reference to your above comments about DETERGENTS, not ethanol. 

deeder said:   Sure, there is even cheaper like Valero or other top tier but they are further away from me.  
  Why did so many people red you simply for writing "further"?

deeder said:   I don't recall them checking membership when I was in the car with someone who stopped at Costco for gas.

No such luck with Costco here in AZ, where you have to insert a Costco membership card or Costco credit card to start the pump.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017