office depot/max question: is it possible to pricematch an item after using rewards to pay for it?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I want to use my Office Depot rewards to buy TurboTax premier, but I also want to pricematch to any other place that's cheaper. Would anyone know if that's possible, or would thay say that since it's rewards it's not eligible for pricematch? Just curious. Thank for for answering my quesiton

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

VivYip said:   I want to use my Office Depot rewards to buy TurboTax premier, but I also want to pricematch to any other place that's cheaper. Would anyone know if that's possible, or would thay say that since it's rewards it's not eligible for pricematch? Just curious. Thank for for answering my quesiton

I don't see an issue price matching and paying with rewards.  Simply don't make it an issue, if you are doing this in store, bring the item to the register, show the competing ad, then when it's rung up simply present the rewards certificate to pay. There no exclusion to price match in their policy if paying by rewards.

VivYip said:   I want to use my Office Depot rewards to buy TurboTax premier, but I also want to pricematch to any other place that's cheaper. Would anyone know if that's possible, or would thay say that since it's rewards it's not eligible for pricematch? Just curious. Thank for for answering my question

I did this last year with the H&R Block TaxCut software with no issues.

Spooie said:   
VivYip said:   I want to use my Office Depot rewards to buy TurboTax premier, but I also want to pricematch to any other place that's cheaper. Would anyone know if that's possible, or would thay say that since it's rewards it's not eligible for pricematch? Just curious. Thank for for answering my question

I did this last year with the H&R Block TaxCut software with no issues.

was this in-store or would it work online?

Doesn't Staples treat rewards as a coupon if you try to do a price match and therefore you can't do both?  I don't know what OD's policy is in the same situation.

sportsfan64 said:   Doesn't Staples treat rewards as a coupon if you try to do a price match and therefore you can't do both?  I don't know what OD 's policy is in the same situation.

OD's is a gift card of sorts, not a coupon at all.

no

MISTERCHEAP said:   
sportsfan64 said:   Doesn't Staples treat rewards as a coupon if you try to do a price match and therefore you can't do both?  I don't know what OD 's policy is in the same situation.

OD 's is a gift card of sorts, not a coupon at all.

Well one thing that is different between OD and Staples is that rewards lower the sales tax @ Staples as they are a "discount" to the purchase price. They are not @ OD although you can pay for any sales tax due on a purchase with the rewards.  OD rewards seem more like store credit or a "gift card of sorts" as you stated. Timely thread as I have an online item @ OD I want to PM to Amazon and then pay with the battery rewards that should be out in the middle of next month.

VivYip said:   
Spooie said:   

I did this last year with the H&R Block TaxCut software with no issues.

was this in-store or would it work online?

I did it in store.  No problems at all.

fwiw, in the end, i went to my local Office Depot and PM'd to WalMart printout after not being able to PM to a receipt from Sam's Club.  Thanks to all for the help. If a person is able to PM for a dot.com purchase, please mention it in the thread. Thanks

I price match in store at ODepot and pay with rewards almost every month
Bring a printed copy of the match offer
Then use your rewards as payment, no issues on anything

how about paying full price, then getting a GC as a refund after PM (no expiration!)

has anyone done this for online purchases? (i was okay for in-store, but I'm hoping for the experience for online orders...I'm hoping to get a PM for printer drum and use the rewards)

In your case, I would recommend buying in-store since then you can bring
the price match documentation with you and then apply the reward certificates.
It's not optimal, but it should guarantee you work out all the kinks.
Recommend you bring a coupon with also and look into the online TurboTax
options first because it may be cheaper directly through them. Also, don't
forget Tax Prep software is TAX-DEDUCTIBLE (and if you are a Tax-exempt
entity, bring that number with you, also).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017