Washington Post subscription rates gone up again

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Just a few months ago it went from $68 for 8 weeks to $78. Now it went to $95! Any cheaper way to get the delivered version? Not sitting in front of a computer to read the paper.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Gotta fund that billionaire Bezos!

EradicateSpam (Jan. 07, 2017 @ 1:32p) |

I cancelled my subscription to this rag after their racist stories. I wouldn't take it back even if it was free.

fatwalletkat (Jan. 07, 2017 @ 8:19p) |

I guess it just doesn't appeal to white supremacists. Maybe Breitbart is more to your liking. I assume you consider "Mei... (more)

canoeguy1 (Jan. 08, 2017 @ 12:16a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is this subscription site legit? https://www.discountednewspapers.com/index.html

Washington Compost

Call them and said I wanted to cancel. They just happened to have a $45 promo rate. Thats better.

atikovi said:   Just a few months ago it went from $68 for 8 weeks to $78. Now it went to $95! Any cheaper way to get the delivered version? Not sitting in front of a computer to read the paper.
  You can buy a Kindle fire tablet for less than the price of a one year subscription. 

Like I said, not sitting in front of a computer to read the paper.

atikovi said:   Like I said, not sitting in front of a computer to read the paper.
  There is a big difference between sitting in front of a computer and holding a tablet that is small, portable, and light weight. In any case, it sounds like you are opposed to any form of electronic news. 

Trying to scroll right and left or up and down on a small tablet screen to see the entire page of a paper doesn't strike me as enjoyable. It's like trying to surf the web on a smart phone.

You're paying $47/month just to read a paper??

People with that much money to burn are price insensitive, which is why the price keeps going up. My guess is they're testing to see how far they can go without losing too many subscribers. ie they're testing the demand curve.

If you call them and complain, you'll probably get a substantial discount-at least for a short time.

Honestly, just save the money and get a paper that doesn't try to rip you off.
Better yet, save some trees and just live with the fact that we're in the 21 century, and you can get all your news online, for free. And they won't be obsolete by the time you read them, like the good ol' paper.

Trees are a renewable resource. And why do people pay $12 to go out see a movie when they can rent a DVD for a buck or two, or free at the library? Why do people spend $3 at Starbucks for coffee when it's 5 cents at home. Same comparison.

$95 to read yesterday's news tomorrow is why the prices keep going up -- lack of readers.

Drove me nuts getting the WSJ (free for a year from a FW post) and each day going through it, already aware of the news they printed.

Maybe we can suggest alternatives to a physically delivered newspaper that you'd be willing to consider.

Did I mention I also need the newspaper for packing material on my eBay sales?

atikovi said:   Trees are a renewable resource. And why do people pay $12 to go out see a movie when they can rent a DVD for a buck or two, or free at the library? Why do people spend $3 at Starbucks for coffee when it's 5 cents at home. Same comparison.
  Trees are only renewable if they aren't cut faster than they grow. In this electronic age, cutting them down for newsprint is really unnecessary. There are a lot of better uses for them. Toilet paper, if need be (haven't found an electronic replacement for that....yet)
News in papers is already outdated by the time you read it. It's really so last century.

People spend $3 at Starbucks every now and then, as a treat. Not every single day of the year. Not unless they like being poor or wasting their money.

Nor do people rent DVD's anymore, or go to the library for movies. Have you heard of Netflix and Amazon online movies? 
Your 8 week paper subscription gets me more movies than I can watch, for almost a year. We stream shows 3 hours a night, for $10/month. And my online news is current, and free.

atikovi said:   Did I mention I also need the newspaper for packing material on my eBay sales?
  Why not use the packing material from your Amazon orders for that?
We always have so much of the packing material that we don't know what to do with it. It's plastic, and can't be recycled.

Unless, of course, Amazon shopping is also too new-age?

canoeguy1 said:   We stream shows 3 hours a night, for $10/month. 
Stream still means sitting in front of computer screen to watch. I rather lie on the couch in front a TV to watch a show.
canoeguy1 said:     Why not use the packing material from your Amazon orders for that?
One or two Amazon packages a month incoming vs. 5-10 eBay packages going out so that won't work.

atikovi said:   
canoeguy1 said:   We stream shows 3 hours a night, for $10/month. 
Stream still means sitting in front of computer screen to watch. I rather lie on the couch in front a TV to watch a show.
canoeguy1 said:     Why not use the packing material from your Amazon orders for that?
One or two Amazon packages a month incoming vs. 5-10 eBay packages going out so that won't work.

Hmmm.....You really should get caught up with the times. There's lots of new stuff out there that will really enhance your lifestyle.

There is absolutely no need to stream movies to a PC. There are tons of devices that stream it straight to your TV.
I personally use the Amazon Fire TV. It's a little box the size of a soapbox that attached to your TV. You connect WiFi to it, or Ethernet, and it streams movies from Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and all sorts of apps. (for example, PBS, Smithsonian channel, or iheart radio). It comes with a remote. 

There are many others, like Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku etc etc.
They all cost less than $100. Some are less than $40.

And NO commercials.

Who wants to read the fake news, especially a day later?? Weren't they offering free subscription through American Express offers last month? If you want packing material go to your local recycling center and get some paper from the dumpster!!!

canoeguy1 said:   There is absolutely no need to stream movies to a PC. There are tons of devices that stream it straight to your TV.
I personally use the Amazon Fire TV. It's a little box the size of a soapbox that attached to your TV. You connect WiFi to it, or Ethernet, and it streams movies from Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and all sorts of apps. 

OK I'll have to look into that. Is there a subscription fee? I'm already paying $105 a month to Verizon for internet, TV and two landline numbers.
JKdeals said:   Who wants to read the fake news, especially a day later?? Weren't they offering free subscription through American Express offers last month? If you want packing material go to your local recycling center and get some paper from the dumpster!!!
  You're right, if it's on the internet, it must be true. At least a newspaper has real reporters and journalists to ensure some accuracy of what they print. And why go dumpster diving when I can get packing material delivered to my door every morning?

atikovi said:   
canoeguy1 said:   There is absolutely no need to stream movies to a PC. There are tons of devices that stream it straight to your TV.
I personally use the Amazon Fire TV. It's a little box the size of a soapbox that attached to your TV. You connect WiFi to it, or Ethernet, and it streams movies from Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and all sorts of apps. 

OK I'll have to look into that. Is there a subscription fee? I'm already paying $105 a month to Verizon for internet, TV and two landline numbers.
JKdeals said:   Who wants to read the fake news, especially a day later?? Weren't they offering free subscription through American Express offers last month? If you want packing material go to your local recycling center and get some paper from the dumpster!!!
  You're right, if it's on the internet, it must be true. At least a newspaper has real reporters and journalists to ensure some accuracy of what they print. And why go dumpster diving when I can get packing material delivered to my door every morning?

If you have Amazon Prime, many of the Amazon movies are free. PBS and many of the other channels are free. Netflix and Hulu have subscription fees. Netflix approx $10/month.
BTW: If you have a modern Smart TV or blu-ray player, the ability to stream movies is already built into it. Just connect it to the internet.

Why use landlines, unless you have a need to send faxes? Get cellphones instead (assuming your house has decent reception). They cost the same (for a basic plan), and you can use them when you're outside the house, as well.

Internet sites like CNN/FOX/NBC/MSNBC are no different than the news you get on TV. Washington Post is online too! NY Times is online, so is the Wall Street Journal....Not sure why you'd think that was 'fake news'. It's just far more up-to-date online. The paper 'news' are basically history, not news.

canoeguy1 said:     If you have Amazon Prime, many of the Amazon movies are free. PBS and many of the other channels are free. Netflix and Hulu have subscription fees. Netflix approx $10/month.
BTW: If you have a modern Smart TV or blu-ray player, the ability to stream movies is already built into it. Just connect it to the internet.

Why use landlines, unless you have a need to send faxes? Get cellphones instead (assuming your house has decent reception). They cost the same (for a basic plan), and you can use them when you're outside the house, as well.

Internet sites like CNN/FOX/NBC/MSNBC are no different than the news you get on TV. Washington Post is online too! NY Times is online, so is the Wall Street Journal....Not sure why you'd think that was 'fake news'. It's just far more up-to-date online than in print.

Had Prime for the 30 day trial but it never justified free shipping of the one package I bought during that period. The two cell numbers I have only cost me about $30 and the additional cost of the two landlines are bundled into a Verizon triple play and don't add much to the bill. Also, you can't compare sound quality between the two. And I rarely give out my cell number since I already get dozens of telemarketing calls on my landlines. That would drive me crazy if I'd had to pick up my cell every 10 minutes. The internet news sites are fine for national and international news but they wouldn't have the local stuff like the paper does. 

Why would one want to read the leader in dissemination of FakeNews?

FatWKing said:   Why would one want to read the leader in dissemination of FakeNews?
  Who cares what you think is fake news, just because it doesn't match your political views. Your personal political views are not the issue here.

wow where do i sign up !!!!

I have Washington Post home delivery on Sunday's only. The Sunday delivery option allows me to read the Post digital/online edition for the rest of the days of the week. I received an offer in the mail-- $10 for 1 year of Sunday only deliveries. My experience has been that the Post always mails out a special "we want you back" offer after you cancel your subscription..

Gotta fund that billionaire Bezos!

I cancelled my subscription to this rag after their racist stories. I wouldn't take it back even if it was free.

fatwalletkat said:   I cancelled my subscription to this rag after their racist stories. I wouldn't take it back even if it was free.
  I guess it just doesn't appeal to white supremacists. Maybe Breitbart is more to your liking. I assume you consider "Mein Kampf" an enjoyable read? To each his own.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017