Roku vs. Firestick for the non-technically inclined.

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Which would you recommend for the non-technical person to use and drop cable?  Is one better then the other?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Which Roku? I'm assuming Express?

Firestick has Alexa
Roku Express has more channels.

That's about it.

When you get to Premier then the Roku really shines

Neither one by itself will help you drop cable since they don't come with any content or channels. You will likely need to subscribe to a streaming service like Playstation Vue, DirecTV Now, or Sling TV to actually watch anything.

I would suggest going to youtube.com and typing in "roku review" or "firestick review" and you will see plenty of videos of people showing you how they work with the strength and weaknesses of each one.  You can also search for reviews of the TV streaming services on youtube.

I recently switched from Dish to DirecTV Now and I don't like it very much.  I lost my DVR, NBC, CBS and had to up my internet speed to keep it from buffering.  I should have just switched back and forth between Dish and DirecTV satellite every two years with the introductory deals.

Roku boasts easy hookup/setup of box.

I signed up to Sony Vue within the first 3 days it was offered. The directions were not great (maybe it is better now), but it worked with little fuss.

If your only use for cable TV is 24 hour live news, you can add Sky News for free and pay nothing each month.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017