• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I decided enough is enough.  As a 46 year old man I have had enough of the pricing of cable television.  I was paying $146/mo for internet, cable tv and phone.  I did not want the phone service but I had to get it or it would cost me more.  There were some sacrifices that needed to be made for me to have it all again because I love my TV!

Time Warner Cable (Spectrum) had been providing me service now for a couple of years and it was good service overall.  My development also has ATT for internet, but the service top speed is 6mbps and they say they have no plans to upgrade our condo/townhouse development area.  I found that Earthlink has service also and it's $30/mo for 20mbps speeds for the first 6 months and then it will jump in price by $12.  Their service is actually directly through TWC so there really isn't anything different there.  I did have 30mbps but I don't mind a bit less. I'm also aware that the area will be upgraded to a minimum of 60mbps shortly and I will get that speed when the system is updated in the next week or two.  Streaming services usually need about 7mbps on the high end from what I have read so I am well above what is needed.

I live in Westlake a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio and the towers are about 20 miles away.  Our HOA has rules about outdoor antennas so I decided to mount mine in the attic.  The higher the better.  Mount it central and not too close to any rafters as that may interfere with signals.   I hung mine from the ceiling off a galvanized pipe I mounted to the rafters. Use tvfool.com and a DTV app for information on installation.

This First Antenna ($32) I ordered because of the 150 mile range it claimed is just junk in my opinion.  It was too flimsy and the specs were completely misleading on distance after you read reviews on it.  This antenna is sold under many different names and I would not suggest any of them.   I returned it for my money back.
The Second Antenna ($28) came and is a nice unit.  I did much more research and this one is a great deal.  I ordered the first two to see if I could cut the cable and be happy.  It also gave me a sense of security knowing I could get television if the cable system was not working in case of a disaster.  This would probably be good enough but I find that the issue of having it in the attic (25 feet up or so) I still get some pix-elation in a couple of channels because all the towers don't line up perfectly for me.  Channel 19-a (CBS) is a real issue for many here in the area with OTA antennas.  I did get 30 channels but again a couple came and went and I just could not tune them all in good enough.  I will give this one to a friend.

With the success of the second antenna I knew I could cut the cable so I purchased a Third Antenna ($92) with an 8-bay bow-tie design to get every possible channel in my area with ease.  The other model I could have bought was the DB8E ($148) which also had great reviews but I didn't believe I would gain anything by spending more with that antenna...although it does allow you to point it in two different directions if that is needed in your area.  My area has the towers somewhat close together so I think I will be fine saving the $50.  I will follow up when I get the new one delivered.  Here is a comparison of a few good antennas. My suggestion is to buy a unit much larger than what you need so your signal is the strongest it can be.

Streaming

Movies -
I have a family Netflix account for $11.99 that allows 4 users to view at one time.   We share it between 5 family members (sisters, parents, uncles).  I have it on every device in my house and they do as well in their homes.  There are no young kids so the odds of all 5 of us trying to get on Netflix at the same time is near impossible.  We share the cost which is $29/year per person ($2.50/mo).  I pay the bill and they pay me once a year in advance.  Easy and cheap.  Netflix also allows 5 user profiles so that I don't need to see others favorites. Netflix allows you to stream to different areas in the country at the same time.  I also have Amazon prime which I use mostly for shipping, I hope to use it more for movies as thousands are free with your Prime membership.

Cable TV Channel Streaming - Options include (Sling TV, Playstation Vue, Apple TV, Hulu, DirectTV Now) I checked out all the options and I decided to try Playstation Vue as it seemed to be the best bang for the buck at $29/mo including a cloud DVR and the best lineup for me with a local channel also.  You do not need a Playstation to use this service.  You will need a device like a Roku, Fire stick, Fire tv, Apple Tv or a Playstation.  There are limitations to this service mainly being that you can only watch this at home, it identifies your home IP address and will not work anywhere else.   The picture was good on my 65" Samsung 1080p tv. but I believe I will cancel this service after this month.  There also may be limitations as to how many devices can be watching at one time at your home.

Android Box -  Ok, this is where it can get a bit confusing but it's worth it.  I purchased an android box that runs android programs and hooks up to my tv through and HDMI port.  Kodi is a program that many have heard of before and it can get a bit confusing for a new user and you don't need to learn it.   I use the Terrarium TV app that gives me all my TV shows and movies with no commercials.  You have to make sure you don't click on the ads but that is not too hard to figure out where to click.  It's not as difficult as Kodi.  Just click on it from the main screen after installing it....find your movie or all seasons of your show and click on it.  I generally find the new shows uploaded within 30 minutes of the show ending.  I love Game of Thrones and that is where I will get it from now on without the cost of HBO.  Then it will give you plenty of places to stream it or download it from.  The larger the size the slower it will download or possibly buffer while streaming it.   I love this program and it makes it much easier to walk away from the cable companies with it.  I also have Mobdro app installed on the unit which gives me my live feeds of news from CNN, Fox, MSNBC along with many other live feeding cable channels like HBO, AMC, TBS, ESPN and many more.  My android box is a Himedia H8 Plus  and luckily I found someone to program it with dozens of movie and show apps for about $30 on Craigslist.  I could have done the Mobdro and Terrarium Tv app and been just as happy with the device.  These apps are not authorized or found in the playstore so you will need to find the link yourself in a search to install it.  I also installed them on my phone...great apps.

Home Phone - I did get used to having a home phone at times.  I don't give out my home number much but I liked having it when I misplaced my cell to call it or if I needed to make a call for a while and my cell could charge.  I let my old number go and I signed up for google voice....it's free.  I was able to choose a number with my first name in it with my local area code which made it easy to remember and easy to give out.  I purchased a Obihai Device ($48) which is super easy to set up with google voice and allows me to make and receive calls for free with free long distance in the US also.  I hope to learn the faxing option later.  I hooked it up to my router and my phone outlet which has corded and a cordless phones set with friends and family's numbers programmed into the cordless set.  Crystal clear calls, no drops!
Here are the drawbacks for the completely free service -
    1. No caller id, you will get the number, but not the name unless you have them programmed into your cordless set and then it will show up on your handset.
    2. 911 service will not work for your proper location.  Use a cell phone in that case
All of these drawbacks can be eliminated with a service provided by Obihai for an inexpensive monthly fee which I can live without.

BTW - I use a Tivo Roamio Pro DVR with lifetime service (I suggest a Roamio, Roamio Plus or Pro) hooked up to the antenna which allows me to watch live tv and record the local news channels or local sports.  It also works well for Netflix and Amazon.  I use Tivo Mini units for other tvs in my house to share my television, recordings and streaming services.  Tivo has a great system for OTA as well as Cable TV in my opinion.  You can find good deals on them used on eBay with lifetime (aka All in Service) which means no monthly bill for usage.  I turn off "Tivo Suggestions" so that it will extend the life of my the hard drive inside.  You can also find good deals on Tivo Premiere models with lifetime and they work well also but not as well as the Roamio models.  The Tivo Bolt is nice also if you have a 4K tv, just price out how much the "All In" lifetime service is for it prior to purchase.  The lifetime service is not a repair service, it's a subscription service for it to give you all the features.

There is an expense to cut the cable, but then you are done.  I lowered my bill by $110 a month by cutting the cable.  I already was paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime.  I will not renew Playstation Vue and I will watch everything that I watched before off of two boxes, a Tivo and and Android Box.  This will give all the same live tv, live news, and on demand choices that I had before.  I can also download any of the shows or movies and then transfer them to a tablet for when I travel.   I could save myself $29 and cancel Netflix too, but I like the ease of their menu and it is a little easier than Terrarium TV to use and I am willing to pay for that.

My recurring bills now
Internet -              $29 going to $42 later  (I own my modem)
Netflix -                under $3 a month
Terrarium Tv -       $0
Mobdro Tv -          $0
Playstation Vue -  Cancelled
Home Phone -      $0
---------------------------------------------------
                $32 - $45/month

EDIT - the Roamio Pro and Plus will not work with OTA (over the air) Antenna service.  The regular Roamio, Bolt, and Premiere units can do OTA

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
yesid0n0itall, He's probably talking about something like setvnow, and there's no way it can be legal.

I'm pretty sure th... (more)

RJG (Feb. 17, 2017 @ 11:41a) |

Does the $32 include internet (and what speed)?

NoMoneyInMyWallet (Feb. 17, 2017 @ 12:16p) |

Ofcourse not.
The 50 Mbps internet I have is $55/month.
Hulu is $8/month
Amazon prime is $8.33/month
IPTV service is ~$25/mo... (more)

KayK (Feb. 17, 2017 @ 1:02p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

rated:
Thank you very much for the detailed breakdown. I have been wanting to cut the cord also and this might help.

rated:
Which Mobdro did you install? I see about 12 different ones in the Play store.

rated:
A perfectly good TV antenna can be made out of coat hangers. Google it. I have one in the attic hooked to my coax and works great with antennas 50 miles away.

You do know that with Terrarium TV you are in fact stealing content, right?

Cellphones don'the provide locationew to 911. For $1.50 a month, Callcentric provides that service to an OBi.

rated:
dougtr said:    Our HOA has rules about outdoor antennas so I decided to mount mine in the attic.
With the success of the second antenna I knew I could cut the cable so I purchased a Third Antenna ($92) with an 8-bay bow-tie design to get every possible channel in my area with ease.

For the sake of other readers:  If you absolutely need an outdoor antenna to get full signal reception, a homeowner's association (or local government, or anyone else) cannot forbid it.  The Federal Communications Commission issued a rule 20 years ago preempting such restrictions.

rated:
I'm not sure if you can do this, I did this with Comcrap, I created a sub account under my parents comcrap account.
Used an old laptop to connect to all the comcrap hot spots in my apartment building. fed that to a router for internet access.

I used Amazon prime, Netflix and on demand (comcrap)

rated:
Saving this for a more detailed read later. I too cut the cord, but have a different setup which costs me a little more, but I have problems pulling in more than a few antenna channels that we would actually watch. I would really like a DVR for streaming channels (one with ads) so I skip the crap. Thanks for sharing!

rated:
lgmayka said:   
dougtr said:    Our HOA has rules about outdoor antennas so I decided to mount mine in the attic.
With the success of the second antenna I knew I could cut the cable so I purchased a Third Antenna ($92) with an 8-bay bow-tie design to get every possible channel in my area with ease.

For the sake of other readers:  If you absolutely need an outdoor antenna to get full signal reception, a homeowner's association (or local government, or anyone else) cannot forbid it.  The Federal Communications Commission issued a rule 20 years ago preempting such restrictions.

While they cannot forbid it, they CAN have guidelines as long as those guidelines do not inhibit reception.  https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule 

For example, they can say you cannot put an antenna on the roof if a proper signal can be obtained by not putting it on the roof.  Further, if the roof is community property (i.e. condo association), they can forbid you from installing it there.  Or, they can say you cannot install an antenna on the front of your house if a proper signal can be obtained at other locations, and you don't have to incur an unusual expense to do that.

Edit - I mistakenly posted some info that a few of you may have rec'd in your notify email.  Please delete that information.  Thank you.

rated:
I'll add to this that their guidelines cannot add cost to the homeowner. Do a Google search and you will easily find the applicable Federal laws and guidelines regarding this. Those trump any loval, state and HOA guidelines.

rated:
dougtr said:   BTW - I use a Tivo Roamio Pro DVR with lifetime service (I suggest a Roamio, Roamio Plus or Pro) hooked up to the antenna which allows me to watch live tv and record the local news channels or local sports.  Roamio Plus and Pro are cable only ... they do not work with antenna (OTA).
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-roamio-comparison.php

rated:
Of course you can save money if you pirate HBO.

rated:
dougtr said:   I decided enough is enough.  

Congratulations and well done.  I'd be curious to see a tvfool.com report for your location.  The CM4228HD is a great antenna, but it is a UHF antenna.  You may be missing some OTA channels (if broadcast television is important to you).  For instance, WOIO (CBS/MeTV) and WJW (Fox/Antenna TV) are both VHF.  WOIO is strong enough and high enough to possibly be picked up by the 4228, but I don't think you could get the Fox affiliate.  You could couple this antenna with this uvsj to pick up the VHF stations.

You kind of glossed over the DVR, but I would say it is the most important part of any antenna-first cord cut or trim.  I learned this after firing Comcast.  We had one DVR with Comcast and it was full of unwatched recordings of Bonnie Hunt and Who Wants to be a Millionaire.  Who needs that?  It turns out we relied on the DVR's program guide.  We hit the pause button every time a phone or door bell rang.  We backed up when someone dozed off, missed something, or wanted a better look at a wardrobe malfunction.  There are three distinct DVRs out there.  Your TiVo is a very popular set top DVR despite being very expensive.  It has a great EPG, very smart recording algorithms, popular streaming apps like Prime, Netflix, and Hulu, and the ability to share files among multiple DVRs.  The downside to the TiVo is that it requires a connection to the TiVo service.  If you do not have internet access, you cannot have a TiVo. It's expensive.  The TiVo Roamio/OTA costs $15/month/box.  You can get these with Lifetime, but that's expensive too.  If you pay attention, the Roamio/OTA with Lifetime has been as low as $199.99 for a refurb or $299.99 for a new unit.  If TiVo has competition, it's the Channel Master DVR+.  The DVR+ uses the same Rovi guide as the TiVo when connected to the internet, but can populate guide data using PSIP data in the video stream when the internet or Rovi is not available.  Great for my in-laws who do not have internet access and great for me when I am camping.  The DVR+ uses external storage too.  USB disks are analogous to gigantic VHS tapes.  It also means there are no moving parts in the box, so less heat and, hopefully, greater reliability.  Another noteworthy option is the Tablo whole house DVR.  This is a box of tuners with an external disk which can stream live television or recording programs to Rokus, Fire TVs, and other devices.  This DVR costs around $200 and requires a monthly fee or purchase of a lifetime license for the DVR.  Tablo's Lifetime service is a forever one time purchase per customer while TiVo's is per box and for the life of the box.

We do not stream much, but Vudo and Crackle offer ad supported movies.  I've tried Vue and jumped on the DirecTV Now free Apple TV offer.  Here is a link to a comparison of channels available with each of the major OTT streamers...

https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-now-vs-sling-tv-vs-playstation...

OOMA has a very good VOIP service which is free except for taxes which run about $4/month depending on your locale.

Have fun!
https://freetvforme.wordpress.com   

rated:
Very nice detailed layout. Thanks.

rated:
OP -

You mentioned that you were experiencing pixelation and poor signal reception on channel 19 (your local CBS). Although marketed as channel 19, it is actually transmitting on RF channel 10, a VHF frequency. VHF frequencies are lower than UHF, have longer wavelengths, and require a long radial antenna; a UHF bowtie is not suitable. For best reception of a mix of VHF and UHF frequencies you need a combo antenna, or separate antennas with a combiner.

Look at this plot of TV signals for Westlake from antennaweb.org. Note the list of channels with their marketed channel number and their actual RF channel number. RF channels 2 to 13 are in the VHF range (54-216 MHz), channels 13 to 52 are in the UHF range (470-704 MHz).

Why the disparity between marketed and actual channel numbers? During the analog to digital TV transition, many stations simulcast on separate frequencies for analog and digital. The digital channels were placed in local unused TV spectrum that wouldn't interfere with nearby cities. In my market, those were UHF frequencies. In other markets, it might have been the reverse. After the transition, some broadcasters kept their digital channel assignment and dropped the analog one. A digital TV receiver scans for all available RF signals and during decoding displays the marketed channel "ID".

rated:
TV and camping?! No way!

rated:
gremln007 said:   TV and camping?! No way!

Absolutely.  Especially during football season.

rated:
dougtr said:     I live in Westlake a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio and the towers are about 20 miles away.  Our HOA has rules about outdoor antennas so I decided to mount mine in the attic.  The higher the better. 

As others have mentioned...As per the FCC the HOA can go pound sand
https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

rated:
Thanks OP, good writeup.

As for antenna, some location just doesn't work. My parents house is acutally closer to the city but a hill blocks the signal. I tried all kind of antennas but it just doesn't work.

I would also really miss the DVR. So does Romio work with streaming service?

eta: i see other mentioned the value of DVR as well.  That's a huge issue for a lot of folks since I rarely watch anything live.  A DVR that work seamlessly with streaming service would be the killer appliance to cable.

rated:
i cut the cord 2 years ago and what a good move,,,catv came on the scene with a promise of no commercials,,that was a lie,,there are more now than ever,,love watching a movie and seeing lthe same lawyer ads,and insurance commercials 46 times over and over...that day i went to OTA was the second best day of my life...today being the Best day ever..choi. Jan/20/2017

rated:
With the Android Box, a dvr is pretty much useless
By the op own setup, he can get any show he wants 30 minutes after it aired
The streamed shows have pause, etc

rated:
I cut cable one or two years ago. I went with the channel master and an antenna for my dvr and it is pretty awesome. We also had an apple tv and were able to used the in-laws logins to see some streaming apps, but they have comcast and are the worst in terms of interoperability agreements, so many just didn't allows access with a comcast login.

I signed up for direct tv and it sucks. Just an awful service that wasn't ready to be rolled out. playback issues, buffering, errors. I may try sling tv which is integrated with the channel master, which is nice for a single remote expereince.

rated:
For the folks that live in a highrise or condo. Have you guys tried plugging the TV to the buildings coaxial output?
It worked and gave some channels, not sure how. I'm thinking it is using the building as a large antenna.

rated:
I updated the links in the original post to the antennas that I purchased and tried.

Our HOA allows the use of antennas outside but I believe that it must be mounted on a pole behind my home below our ground floor window like a Satellite Dish was when I moved in. My concern was that the landscapers would hit bump it and it would look a bit unsightly to me outside. The HOA owns and maintains the siding and the roof of our homes. I also wanted it inside because it will be easy for me to adjust when setting it up and weather will not affect the performance as much.

As far as my phone goes I have the local police number programmed in my home and cell phone as well. I know that $1.50/mo isn't much, but I really feel that if it wasn't free I would not desire to have it. I will consider adding the 911 service as time goes on.

I was unaware of that the Roamio Pro and Plus don't do OTA but I thought I could use it on the Antenna, but you are right. I didn't want to go into too much detail, but I purchased a used Tivo Bolt online and I was using that for my OTA Antenna temporarily and the fact that it is connected to the same network as my Roamio Pro means I can see all the recordings through either device as they share the files. To me watching TV has to be simple for others that come to my home like my parents who visit for a couple weeks and my girlfriend and that is why I have chosen Tivo for much of the heavy work of my system. I love that Tivo has my Netflix series and TV shows all in "my shows" single section to start playing and it lets me delete the episodes I have seen. I can do a single search and the Tivo will tell me if Amazon, Hulu, Netflix or OTA has it and start playing it right then or I can create a Onepass (future recording) of the show or series. OTA Tivo gives you about 12-13 days of future OTA shows loaded on their guide. I don't think most people realize how far Tivo has come if you haven't used one in the past 5 years. I loved using it with my cable service as well especially with the mini units. I purchased my Tivo used and the mini units when Groupon and Amazon had refurbished ones on sale for $50 each. I found the Roamio pro on craigslist and purchased it for about $350 which was worth it to me. The Plus, Pro and Bolt have a device (moca network) built in that allows it to share with the mini units. If you buy a Premiere Xl4 or a base Roamio you will need to add a device to use additional Mini units or have an ethernet connectionat each device. The base premiere does not allow the use of Mini units with it. Using Mini units is creating a whole house DVR. Again I agree that the Roamio Pro and Roamio Plus will not work with an OTA antenna.

I hope this is helping a few of you get a bit closer to doing it. It took me 5 days to release the anxiety of not have cable and I figured out how to get the shows I have always seen and in a mostly simple way. If PS Vue had a better menu and the main local channels I would have stuck with them and not needed an antenna. They are close but not there yet. Abc and Nbc were on demand and many shows were not even available. I think in the next two years we will see at least one company have a complete service, but for now I will stick with what I have.

miqie;19768535 said: Which Mobdro did you install? I see about 12 different ones in the Play store.
This one  it is not found in the Play Store.
ZenNUTS said:   

eta: i see other mentioned the value of DVR as well.  That's a huge issue for a lot of folks since I rarely watch anything live.  A DVR that work seamlessly with streaming service would be the killer appliance to cable.

All the Tivo Roamio units and Bolt units stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Youtube.  I am not sure on the Premiere models.  As of this point they do not work with SlingTv, Playstation Vue or DirectTvnow.
Once you set up a "one pass" (subscribe to a series) it will be listed in one list with all your recorded shows off OTA or Cable and it will have your streaming series or desired series movie or show in that list as well.  It is much easier than I am explaining it.

Also a quick thank you to Wizwor and Buckman for your insight on antenna signals.  Currently I am using a combo antenna.  The other antenna has already been shipped so I will post what my experience is with it. 
Here is my TV Fool OTA Antenna Channels in my area 

Thank you all for your comments and adding to the discussion

rated:
Hi,

About a year ago we also cut the cable and have been using an antenna (Channel Master Digital Advantage TV Antenna, CM-2018) for TV since then.  The antenna was an open box special from Solid Signal.  It  is mounted in the attic and connects to 4 TVs.  We receive all the available channels in the Baltimore and Washington DC area, over 70 channels (channels 2 through 68), though many are standard definition and repetitive.

Like dougtr, we use TIVOs: 2 TIVOs Roamios OTA and  2 Series 3 TIVOs.  The old Series 3 HD TIVO accepts both cable and OTA.  In addition, we also use Rokus.  These devices are connected wired through our local network.  For internet we use Verizion FIOS.  We found the 25 Mbps works fine with Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.  

So, have we missed cable TV?  Not really, we have adapted our viewing habits and we don’t anticipate going back.  The the main items that we didn't get is the college football championships games, which were missed because they was broadcast over ESPN.

rated:
pkny said:   For the folks that live in a highrise or condo. Have you guys tried plugging the TV to the buildings coaxial output?
It worked and gave some channels, not sure how. I'm thinking it is using the building as a large antenna.

I don't doubut that it works, because I've had a similar thing happen.  It doesn't seem as though it should in that I'd think the shielding should prevent it, but apparently not.

We cut the cord years ago.  We dedicated a Windows PC to be our TV station.  We have PlayOn installed on it, and my wife schedules stuff to record (movies, TV shows, etc.).  She's got about 30TB of content; probably enough television to watch for the rest of our lives, but she keeps recording, lol.  We have one newer Roku TV on which we can use Plex to watch content recorded on the dedicated PC.  For the rest of the house (all older non-smart TV's), we have a standalone Roku device on which we use Plex to watch content recorded on the dedicated PC.  We feed the output of the Plex box into a whole house distribution system which sends the signal out to the six TV locations throughout the house.

We have an antenna in the attic which is attached to an HDHomerun device that connects to our home network and streams video to any PC on the network.  On the rare occasions we use it, we just attach to it from the same "TV station" PC to record OTA content to the hard drive, and again watch it through individual smart TV's or through the distribution system.

Everything we watch is recorded.  We just have very little interest in watching anything live.  About the only thing we miss is some popular culture contained in advertising ("hey, did you see that Geico ad with the..."), because we never ever watch a single TV commercial.  

Now, in theory, we could watch live OTA content via the attic antenna from anywhere in the house.  A couple of years back, due to a remodeling mishap, we ended up without walls and ceilings in 90% of our house (don't ask).  Anyway, I took the opportunity with everything open to run speaker wire, 2 x CAT5e/CAT6, 2 x dedicated video and 2 x RG6 to multiple locations in each room in the house, everything terminating in a wiring closet.  All in all, about a mile of wire.  From the wiring closet, I can connect any location to any other location.  And theoretically, that would include connecting the attic antenna to any TV in the house, should we ever want to use it, which is never.

Well, as it happens, on New Year's Eve, we had guests over who insisted on watching the ball drop live in NYC.  Whatever.  So we needed to connect the great room TV to the antenna.

Now it would be logical and convenient to have the attic antenna terminate in the wiring closet, but alas, I wasn't thinking of an attic antenna when I determined the location of the wiring closet, and there's no easy way to get to the wiring closet from above.  So, for no other reason than that it was the closest room, I terminated the attic antenna cable in the master bedroom.  So, we just have to conntect the antenna cable to one of the wall jacks, then in the wiring closet, patch from the end of that cable to a cable to the location of the TV in the great room, then patch from that wall jack to the TV.  Easy right?

Well, with 14 locations throughout the house, each with two RG9's, that's 28 RG9's terminating in the wiring closet.  As I was installing everything, I carefully marked each cable end to indicate where it ended up, so I'd always know.  Then a helpful nephew was working in my wiring closet and determined the cables were too long and needed to be shortened, so trimmed them all.  By cutting off the ends which indicated where they went.  Sooo..., now it's always a guessing game of figuring out what connects to what.  

Anyhow, 10:45 New Year's evening, I was trying to figure it out and guessed that I had the wiring patched through from the attic antenna to the great room.  Without anything attached, TV found no signal.  Hooked up the TV to the wall, and sure enough, there's the local ABC affilliate, showing Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve, along with its Beyonce disaster.  But on later review, I figured out that the TV was actually attached to a dead end, and that the wiring itself seemed to be acting as an antenna.  Once I actually attached it to the attic antenna, I got a lot more stations of course.  But I was surprised that the wiring, attached to nothing at all, was sufficient to pull in some signal.

Chris.

rated:
Thanks OP for putting together this write-up. I don't have time to dive deep into all of it right now, but I'll be coming back to it for sure!

rated:
For those who have a streaming device like Roku, Fire TV, Plex, Kodi, Chromecast check out Channel Pear

I will give you 5 channels for free, more if you pay. Many choices of 24/7 movies, HBO, ESPN, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, BBC One, CBS, ABC, NBC, USA, TNT, AMC and many many more. Check it out. Go to the website above to see how to install it on your device.

rated:
bb6619 said:   I'm not sure if you can do this, I did this with Comcrap, I created a sub account under my parents comcrap account.
Used an old laptop to connect to all the comcrap hot spots in my apartment building. fed that to a router for internet access.

I used Amazon prime, Netflix and on demand (comcrap)

Interesting. Curious: What router are you using? Are you just bridging the new connections?

rated:
Thanks to the OP for the detailed info on his situation and experiences --

For others who are looking at various options for doing this kind of thing,
this topic has been addressed in many prior threads on Fatwallet -- in the Deal Discussion, Technology, and Finance forums,
so it's worth having a search on the site and reading what other people have had to say about their experiences/research in this area.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Thanks OP, good writeup.

As for antenna, some location just doesn't work. My parents house is acutally closer to the city but a hill blocks the signal. I tried all kind of antennas but it just doesn't work.

SlingTV has a cloud DVR, only with Roku for now, with no 30 day watch restrictions. Currently in beta (see youtube reviews), it is supposed to be rolled out to everyone soon.

rated:
I cut the cord 10 years ago after my C-band Dish became a yard ornament thanks to collusion amongst small Dish providers. As for the DVRs I'm satisfied with the performance of the Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB.   https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Homeworx-HW180STB-Converter-Re...   For limited recording this $30 dvr works great but if you do lots of recording or like lots of features and nicer programming guides the Roamio or the Channel Master http://www.channelmaster.com/DVR_Plus_p/cm-7500gb16.htm are probably better options.

rated:
Take it to another extreme...

I don't own a TV, never had cable, and never had a home phone.

rated:
How do you get Netflix for $3.00 in your OP post?

rated:
I bought 1 of these (the link is below)  then after it worked great another, my channels in Grants Pass Oregon are 1/2 10 miles north, the others 30 miles south
I am in a gully (not good for reception)
And in the house the level of the antennas is about the same as i5 but 1000 feet away

It was always a compromise using any previous antenna bought
This is the GE 400 for $25 WalMart has the 200 for $30.00
In the bedroom it feeds 3 tv's with a spliter perfectly....
Same in the living room

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172446742974?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l264... 

EDIT:
Seller has raised them to $39.98 from $24.98
he has done that before then went back to the lower price

rated:
JW10 said:   How do you get Netflix for $3.00 in your OP post?
  Just reread the OP.  He's explained it pretty clearly.

rated:
Russell_ said:   
  Just reread the OP.  He's explained it pretty clearly.

He did?

rated:
  He is sharing the account with 3 others and all split the cost.

I did years ago and years when Dishnetwork had a diff system.
I had 4 receivers all in diff locations and Oregon and Calif
They put out the signal for all 4, they had no way to know if not all at the same place.
All 4 were in the same footprint as they call it.
New equipment has changed that, if cant be done anymore

rated:
  I purchase the Netflix $11.99/mo plan which allows up to 4 streams simultaneously to view that account at the same time in different homes.  I share that information with 4 other family members and we split the cost 5 ways.  As long as they only are watching one stream at a time per home (our rule for the price) we will probably never have all 5 homes watching at one time so it's fine.  We all can load the app onto dozens of devices with the same username and password, but we have a rule to just watch one stream per household.  It's actually more like $2.50 per month per home.  They pay me their portion yearly on Jan 1 to make it easy.   I hope this makes more sense.  These are all adult homes with the kids grown up so it works for us.  If there were children in the homes I am sure it would not work out for our group.

Skipping 43 Messages...
rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   KayK said:   Am 32 years old. Haven't had cable TV since I started living on my own back when I was 22.

Currently I have a Roku 2, Fire TV Stick and Chromecast behind my TV.

I use an IPTV service which I pay 20 pounds a month for and get all US, UK and Indian channels via FireTV.

I also have Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus.

Total cost is ~$32/month.. but I have practically all channels available to watch. All premium movie channels, all sports channels, everything.
Does the $32 include internet (and what speed)?

Ofcourse not.
The 50 Mbps internet I have is $55/month.
Hulu is $8/month
Amazon prime is $8.33/month
IPTV service is ~$25/month
Total: ~$96/month.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017