The future of Craftsman brand guess by Consumers report

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

"In fact, Sears and Stanley Black & Decker representatives both told DealNews their companies intend to honor the Craftsman lifetime warranty."

Just google dealnews craftsman to find further information.

If I get good value for my money I don't care who or where a tool is made. The current trend has been that Sears and Stanley would buy from off shore sources but not maintain/enforce quality. Unless there is an improvement in quality it really does not matter who owns the Craftsman brand.

​Craftsman was sold out long ago and is no longer any higher quality than harbor freight tools.....Which, BTW, also carry a lifetime warranty. 

Wasn't there a press release saying that B&D  would honor the lifetime warranty only on "Made in USA" tools?

Lifetime warranty or not, I dont want the tool I am using to break when I need it most. I only had 2 issues with Craftsman tools (decades ago) and they replaced them with no questions asked. Truth be told, I mis-used them and that is why they failed but Sears didnt care. I was under the car and used the socket wrench head part of the handle for a hammer and it came apart. Gathered up the pieces that I found in a bag and took them in with no problems. Another time, I mis-used a hydraulic bottle jack (way over its capacity) and it bent the piston and they took that back and no issues again (and even gave me a higher capacity Free replacement as they did not make the one I had broken).

I expect the recent Craftsman products to not hold up as Sears currently sources the majority of its Craftsman tools from overseas manufacturers and has been doing that for many years now. So if you turn in your old USA Quality made tool, you will get junk quality in return. Buying Craftsman and paying a premium price for it will not be worth it since you can buy the same junk tools from Harbor Freight or some of the home stores much cheaper than Craftsman or B&D.
RIP Sears. 

Craftsman quality has definitely gone down. My hope is that they also take over the parts department and make getting replacement parts for power/bench tools more affordable - their shipping charges are ridiculous. $7 shipping for a $3 part thats made of plastic and weighs less than an ounce is insane.

As Tommy Boy says 'I can take a dump in the box and put a guarantee on it'
But is it worth it?

Why pay the Craftsman price NOW when the HF stuff works about as well.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017