• filter:

Any good and cheap Road Side Assistance Plans?

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
My insurance plans are all liability only so Geico does not offer road side assistance to me and I have to buy it from the market

The cheapest I was able to find was AMA American Motorcyclist Assoc for $49/year (Name is motorcyclist but they serve every type of vehicle)

Anything better or cheaper?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
AAA also sells auto insurance, how can you be sure they don't report

rufflesinc (Feb. 03, 2017 @ 7:41a) |

Allstate is an insurance company and also operates the Allstate Motor Club, a AAA competitor. 

If you purchase a roadside... (more)

geo123 (Feb. 03, 2017 @ 8:40a) |

If you have T Mobile you can get Sync Up Drive program for $2/month and roadside assistance is free

If you are single thi... (more)

fleetwoodmac (Apr. 11, 2017 @ 10:07a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
AAA

rated:
Chase Saphire Reserve - iff you already have it and the costs make sense, roadside assistance up to $50 x4 times a year is included

rated:
Bend3r said:   Chase Saphire Reserve - iff you already have it and the costs make sense, roadside assistance up to $50 x4 times a year is included
  Man I have this card and I did not know this

Thanks

EDIT:  It says

~~Roadside assistance — If you have a roadside emergency in either the US or Canada, you can call a dedicated number and get a tow, jumpstart, tire, locksmith or gas. You’ll be covered up to $50 per incident four times a year.
------------------------------

I need unlimited and $50 will always be lower than towing no matter what the distance is

I guess I will pay $49 to AMA and be done with it

rated:
Allstate motor club.

rated:
AMA? What's that ? And it gives unlimited calls and distance?

rated:
fleetwoodmac said:   

I need unlimited and $50 will always be lower than towing no matter what the distance is

why do you expect more than four incidents a year?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   And it gives unlimited calls and distance?No

rated:
$50 wont even cover hooking the car to a tow truck.  Older vehicles might need towed every few years(alternator, starter, bearings, etc), so not a bad idea to have some kind of plan.

rated:
xoneinax said:   Older vehicles might need towed every few years(alternator, starter, bearings, etc), so not a bad idea to have some kind of plan.
  new cars are not immune to flats

rated:
rufflesinc said:   xoneinax said:   Older vehicles might need towed every few years(alternator, starter, bearings, etc), so not a bad idea to have some kind of plan.

Changing a tire is easy. Why would you need to call a tow truck?

rated:
matrix5k said:   
rufflesinc said:   
xoneinax said:   Older vehicles might need towed every few years(alternator, starter, bearings, etc), so not a bad idea to have some kind of plan.

Changing a tire is easy. Why would you need to call a tow truck?

because I don't want to change it. also , if yo u only need a change, then they can send a guy with the tools in a regular car, instead of a tow truck.

rated:
Does AMA really include unlimited incidents? I've bumped into my AAA cap a few times and would like to not have to worry.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Does AMA really include unlimited incidents? I've bumped into my AAA cap a few times and would like to not have to worry.
  I believe it is unlimited

I have been using it for years with no problem. It used to be $33/year now it is $49/year that's why I was looking for cheaper but I guess this is the cheapest.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Does AMA really include unlimited incidents? I've bumped into my AAA cap a few times and would like to not have to worry.
How do u have so any incidents

rated:
Changing yourself might not be an option. More and more vehicles are skipping out on the spare in exchange for a patch kit and air compressor to drop weight for better mileage.

rated:
xoneinax said:   $50 wont even cover hooking the car to a tow truck.  Older vehicles might need towed every few years(alternator, starter, bearings, etc), so not a bad idea to have some kind of plan.
  How about plan to do routine maintenance and then actually do it to avoid needing a tow truck?

rated:
When I have a breakdown I default to towing to my house. I can fix most things but once I realize I'm in over my head I call for another tow and take it in to the shop. I'm also splitting my membership between my cars so those 4 AAA calls can add up quick. I've never gone over but as my cars age I'd like to not worry about it.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   xoneinax said:   $50 wont even cover hooking the car to a tow truck.  Older vehicles might need towed every few years(alternator, starter, bearings, etc), so not a bad idea to have some kind of plan.
  How about plan to do routine maintenance and then actually do it to avoid needing a tow truck?

You going to do routine maintenance on shtty roads?

rated:
mpattdu said:   Changing yourself might not be an option. More and more vehicles are skipping out on the spare in exchange for a patch kit and air compressor to drop weight for better mileage.
I aways buy a spare when that happens in case the flat is not patchable

rated:
qcumber98 said:   
xoneinax said:   $50 wont even cover hooking the car to a tow truck.  Older vehicles might need towed every few years(alternator, starter, bearings, etc), so not a bad idea to have some kind of plan.

Since when is it routine maintenance to replace the alternator, starter or engine bearings?  I drive a 16 year old car and put about 15,000 miles a year on it, while I take good care of it, it's still 16 years old and can be a bit finicky, like any teenager.  Luckily for me, its never left me stranded, but I have a AAA card in my wallet just in case.  Like any other insurance policy you pay for it hoping you never need it but having it helps you sleep better at night, a road side assistance policy is no different.

rated:
Check with your auto insurance agent. Coverage was only an additional $16 per year for me.

Edit: My bad. I didn't notice OP had Geico. If I were he I'd find another insurer.

rated:
kshell said:   Check with your auto insurance agent. Coverage was only an additional $16 per year for me.

If you read his post, he already checked with Geico, and they dont offer it for Liability only policys.  Which is a shame since I like the Geico roadside assistance coverage I get for a $12 every 6 months.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
mpattdu said:   Changing yourself might not be an option. More and more vehicles are skipping out on the spare in exchange for a patch kit and air compressor to drop weight for better mileage.
I aways buy a spare when that happens in case the flat is not patchable

Some newer vehicles don't even have a spot in the trunk for even a doughnut spare any more.  I think it's a cop out, really how much can a 30 lbs spare tire save in gas?  There has been some blow back though, was talking to a sales guy when my car was getting serviced and he said many of the 2017 models have the spare tire back because customers demanded it.  In 16 years driving my current car I've only had the spare on there once, but I was glad I had it because the failure was bad enough that I couldn't of used the patch kit and would of had to call a tow truck.

rated:
AverageGuy09 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
  I think it's a cop out, really how much can a 30 lbs spare tire save in gas? 

They're not interested in saaving YOU gas, they're interested in juicing the EPA MPG

rated:
kshell said:   Check with your auto insurance agent. Coverage was only an additional $16 per year for me.

Edit: My bad. I didn't notice OP had Geico. If I were he I'd find another insurer.

I have liability only

What you have is comprehensive or full. That is why they offer you the service for $16

rated:
I've got the AAA Premier Plus plan for about $150 a year. It gives you 5 service calls a year and free towing up to 100 miles, with one tow up to 200 miles being the plus for just a few dollars more over Premier. Some years I may only use it 0 or 1 times, other years 4 or 5. Already used up my 200 mile tow for the year when I bought a car 180 miles away with engine problems. That tow alone probably paid for the next 3 years of membership. And unless I was handicapped or a little old lady, I'd never waste a service call to change a flat tire. Takes less than 10 minutes to do but you could be waiting an hour for someone to come out.

rated:
atikovi said:   And unless I was handicapped or a little old lady, I'd never waste a service call to change a flat tire. Takes less than 10 minutes to do but you could be waiting an hour for someone to come out.
  I'd rather not be doing auto work on the side of a busy freeway. and usually for me it takes 15-30 mins

rated:
Nobody would but you just need some practice. Change the tire at home in the driveway or parking lot a few times.

rated:
Oh the American Motorcycle club (I was finally able to read OP's post on a PC instead of my tiny cell phone)

$49 for 35 mile towing with 1 call PER WEEK.
That's sounds like 'unlimited calls' to me.

rated:
Amex Plat if you'll use the other benefits too. A slam-dunk the first year because of the bonus.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Amex Plat if you'll use the other benefits too. A slam-dunk the first year because of the bonus.
  slam dunk?

annual fee $450

?????

rated:
One difference to keep an eye out for - some roadside assistance plans cover only the listed cars on the policy while others (AAA for example) cover any car the dues paying member is in. So if you really care about having a rental car covered when you probably aren't near your home obviously, that's an important difference. Geico is by vehicle only I believe, so it won't cover rental cars.

rated:
macguy said:   One difference to keep an eye out for - some roadside assistance plans cover only the listed cars on the policy while others (AAA for example) cover any car the dues paying member is in. So if you really care about having a rental car covered when you probably aren't near your home obviously, that's an important difference. Geico is by vehicle only I believe, so it won't cover rental cars.
  I just called AMA and they said the whole family is covered

rated:
fleetwoodmac said:   
TravelerMSY said:   Amex Plat if you'll use the other benefits too. A slam-dunk the first year because of the bonus.
  slam dunk?

annual fee $450

?????

There's a long thread on it already, but to recap, the $450 gets you 50-100k points depending on the current offer, 2x$200 airline fee rebates as gift cards, and lounge access, for the first year,

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
AverageGuy09 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

They're not interested in saaving YOU gas, they're interested in juicing the EPA MPG

And the $50 cost of the spare tire, wheel & jack.

$50 may not seem like much but if they could save $50 for each of the 17.5 million cars sold thats $875M across the industry.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   
fleetwoodmac said:   
  slam dunk?

annual fee $450

?????

There's a long thread on it already, but to recap, the $450 gets you 50-100k points depending on the current offer, 2x$200 airline fee rebates as gift cards, and lounge access, for the first year,

All those benefits are not given every year. They are given as a sign up bonus one time only.

rated:
Hence my stating it's just the first year that's worth it Sounds like it's not for you.

rated:
jerosen said:   
rufflesinc said:   
AverageGuy09 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

And the $50 cost of the spare tire, wheel & jack.

$50 may not seem like much but if they could save $50 for each of the 17.5 million cars sold thats $875M across the industry.

$50 is just $50. But not putting in the space for a spare is a dck move!

Skipping 35 Messages...
rated:
If you have T Mobile you can get Sync Up Drive program for $2/month and roadside assistance is free

If you are single this comes to $24/year but if you have more than 1 car in the house you are a family then go with AMA roadside assistance

AMA is $49/year and all services are unlimited for unlimited cars in the family

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017