• filter:

WARNING Ring+ subscribers

  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
For those subscribers who don't live and breathe Ring+ news, you should become aware that Sprint is terminating its relationship with Ring+ which will render R+ impotent.
You can download and read about the suit here 
Regardless of who is right or wrong, I intend to prepare for the potential interruption of services.
Feb 11, 2017 is the date of Sprint 's termination.

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: HOT DEALS, DEAL DISCUSSION. — Mar. 30, 2017 @ 10:24am
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I think the best option was to cancel your Ring+ account before the 21st to avoid having to deal with anothet party/Ting... (more)

fivetalents (Feb. 23, 2017 @ 10:59a) |

I like the spreadsheet on the first page of this thread, but it left out many details I care about, so I made a copy and... (more)

marksz (Mar. 02, 2017 @ 7:12p) |

I like the spreadsheet on the first page of this thread, but it left out many details I care about, so I made a copy and... (more)

marksz (Mar. 02, 2017 @ 7:16p) |

IMPORTANT NOTICE 
 
ABOUT YOUR SERVICE
 
Dear Members, 

RingPlus is currently in discussions with other MVNOs (wireless carriers) that are ready to take over your service on their plans. Your Top Up balance will be credited by the other MVNO as a courtesy. Additional benefits will likely be available. If you port out now, you will lose your top up balance. You will be informed on how the switch will be completed as well as the information about the carrier later today. If you are interested in participating in the process, please do not initiate a port at this time. RingPlus and the other MVNO will work out a transition process, and infom you of the details very soon. (Unfortuantely, I you have already initiated or completed a port out, you will not be able to participate in this process.)

Best regards,
RingPlus


Possible destinations, Sprint  phones:

Tello is offering a good deal as per the thread here 

CellNuvo ($0/minimum, must keep 500 credits, $10 top up, $30 to transfer number)
https://cellnuvo.com/plan_shop_nuvo.php?id=12 

REAL Mobile ($10/120 days or $20/360 days minimum)
https://myrealmobile.com/pay-as-you-go-plan-cdma  

Tello ($5/mo. minimum)

FreedomPop   ($0/mo minimum)
- FWIW, did not recognize the MEID of my iPhone 4S that I bought from R+

Ting ($6/mo minimum)

EcoMobile ($10/mo. minimum)

RedPocket ($10/mo. minimum)
RedPocket  

If you were brave enough to have a newer LTE phone that also had bands for GSM providers:

H20wireless ($9/90 days minimum)

MintSIM ($11.67/mo minimum)
 

My Motorola Moto G4's IMEI was not recognized by the FP BYOD checker page (blueribb). I sure hope it's compatible since I ordered 2 SIM kits.


 
Company Type V Min TXT LTE Data/non LTE(MB) Monthly $ Yearly Note
Red Pocket-Essential CDMA 500 500 50/0 7.91(avg) $94.99 purchase yr only
Red Pocket-Essential GSM-A 500 500 50/0 7.91(avg) $94.99 purchase yr only
Red Pocket-1K Standard CDMA 1000 1000 500/500 16.58(avg) $199.00 purchase yr only
Red Pocket-1K Standard GSM-A 1000 1000 500/500 16.58(avg) $199.00 purchase yr only
MintSim GSM-Tmo unlimted unlimted 2000/0 16.92 $203.00  
Tello CDMA 100 200 200/0 9.00 $108.00  
Boost Mobile CDMA unl unl 2000/0 30.00 $360.00  
Cricket GSM - ATT unl unl 2000/0 5 Lines $100.00 $240.00
PureTalk GSM-A 300 50 0/50 10.00 $120.00  
Republic Wireless CDMA unl unl WiFi Data Only 15.00 $180.00 VOIP
H20 Pay as Go GSM-A 100 100 none 4.00 $40.00  
Ting CDMA 100 100 100 15.00 $180.00 $6/mn line fee
SpeedTalk GSM-Tmo 250 250 0/250 9.00 $108.00  
TPO Mobile GSM-Tmo 1000 unl 0/500 15.20 $182.40 1st year price only-requires auto pay
Page Plus Cellular Verizon 250 250 0/10 12.00 $144.00 less with autopay
Freedom Pop             VOIP


  
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
In the spirit of the Ring+ business model, a Mad Customer plan is being introduced with 10GB of data, 10,000 minutes, and 10,000 texts. A Member++ membership is required for accessing this plan. Sign up for this promotion will be between 3:43 and 3:44 AM on 12-Feb 2017.

rated:
Of course what Sprint wants to do, and what the judge in the case rules, may well be completely different.
Ring+ is suing Sprint, for fraud.

rated:
Interesting............
The pyramid finally crumbled.
Pretty sure Karl will be back to build another one in few months time.

rated:
LORENW said:   Of course what Sprint wants to do, and what the judge in the case rules, may well be completely different.
Ring+ is suing Sprint, for fraud.


Court cases can take a while. What's the likelihood of Sprint pulling the plug before the judge's decision?

rated:
peas said:   
LORENW said:   Of course what Sprint wants to do, and what the judge in the case rules, may well be completely different.
Ring+ is suing Sprint, for fraud.


Court cases can take a while. What's the likelihood of Sprint pulling the plug before the judge's decision?

  Since Ring+ already filed, the judge could tell  Sprint to hold off until the suit is settled, it could be years before it is settled

​Even if they pull the plug on Ring+, it has served my needs very well, and very cheaply
I would like to have it last 4 more months, since we do have some topoff balance, and it would pay for our current Ring+ plan until then.
​We will move on to the next wireless -deal-, when we have to.

rated:
mistadeal said:   In the spirit of the Ring+ business model, a Mad Customer plan is being introduced with 10GB of data, 10,000 minutes, and 10,000 texts. A Member++ membership is required for accessing this plan. Sign up for this promotion will be between 3:43 and 3:44 AM on 12-Feb 2017.  

it's not working

rated:
do i need to transfer to FreedomPop?

rated:
Disappointing. We should have heard the news from them!

rated:
It was good while it lasted.  

I'll be curious to see if anybody has had experience with porting a phone, its SIM and its number from Ringplus to Ting in one direct step.

My concern is whether 
1) either registration on Ting might fail, because the phone/SIM is already in use on R+, or
2) registration on Ting might succeed, but instantaneously lose my R+ account and the number, so that the number port will fail and number is lost forever because by the time the portr request arrives, the R+ account would already be dead and/or R+ would refuse to honor the port request?

Scenario (2) is the worrisome scenario, because I don't want to lose the numbers we have on our R+ phones, otherwise I'd happily play chicken with the accounts we have at R+ and see if a judge stays the termination of the R+ plans by Sprint.



 

rated:
brusbrother said:   For those subscribers who don't live and breathe Ring+ news, you should become aware that Sprint is terminating its relationship with Ring+ which will render R+ impotent.
You can download and read about the suit here 
Regardless of who is right or wrong, I intend to prepare for the potential interruption of services.
Feb 11, 2017 is the date of Sprint 's termination.

  If the judge grants the injunction requested by R+ to prevent the harm to the subscriber base, the service should continue for a while longer than 2/11. We shall see.

rated:

rated:
m2go said:   It was good while it lasted.  

I'll be curious to see if anybody has had experience with porting a phone, its SIM and its number from Ringplus to Ting in one direct step.

My concern is whether 
1) either registration on Ting might fail, because the phone/SIM is already in use on R+, or
2) registration on Ting might succeed, but instantaneously lose my R+ account and the number, so that the number port will fail and number is lost forever because by the time the portr request arrives, the R+ account would already be dead and/or R+ would refuse to honor the port request?

Scenario (2) is the worrisome scenario, because I don't want to lose the numbers we have on our R+ phones, otherwise I'd happily play chicken with the accounts we have at R+ and see if a judge stays the termination of the R+ plans by Sprint

Good question. To be safe you might swap a device on Rinplus first if you have an old Phone you can do thst with. Device swaps were free for a short time but I think the regular price is only $1.99.

 

  

rated:
i have lil miserlys on there and will likely get tracfone accounts and reuse their current phones. they will miss the data but i'm not paying $20/mo for their accounts. they use google voice, so no need to port numbers.

rated:
mikeydread said:   FYI, I just got this email.

IMPORTANT information about
your phone service

IMPORTANT NOTICE

ABOUT YOUR SERVICE


Dear Members,

As many of you know, RingPlus operates on the Sprint network.

Sprint HAS NOTIFIED RINGPLUS THAT IT PLANS TO STOP ALL SERVICES TO RINGPLUS AND ITS SUBSCRIBERS ON FEBRUARY 11, 2017 AT 5:00 PM CENTRAL DAYLIGHT TIME.

RingPlus has an open line of communication with Sprint regarding this issue. RingPlus has requested that Sprint give us all 30 days before service is turned off to allow you more time to find another wireless provider.

If Sprint does not agree, RingPlus will file a motion with the court for an injunction to prevent Sprint from stopping service on February 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm Central Daylight Time.

As many of you know, RingPlus has sued Sprint. The lawsuit is public information. You can access public documents through a variety of online sources such as PACER (https://www.pacer.gov/). While it is not RingPlus’ policy to discuss ongoing litigation, we feel you have a right to know.


What this means for you:

As of the time of this Notice, Sprint plans to turn off all service to you and RingPlus on February 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm Central Daylight Time. (As noted above, RingPlus is trying to get that to be 30 days.) Your phone service will stop. You will not be able to use your RingPlus services including cellular talk, text or data. If you would like to keep your phone number, you would need to move it to another wireless provider before February 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm Central Daylight Time (i.e., port out your number).

RingPlus will update you about major developments, and provide you links to other wireless providers that would happy to serve you in future.

Best regards,
RingPlus

  I'm copying this from another thread on FW.
 

rated:
I just received the email from Ring+

rated:
LORENW said:   I just received the email from Ring+
  I just received 9 of these emails from Ring+

rated:
This would probably be a great place to post thing in the wiki as to what our options are for free porting.... If anyone has suggestions can we get them in the wiki rather than the general posts?

rated:
So what happens if you have money sitting in the account? I would assume it is long gone. Had my MiL on an account and needed to top up $20 to change plan. That was barely a month ago. She used Ring+ for a year, so even if it disappears, it was probably still worth it. But I'm not looking forward to the hassle of changing people over who don't really know a thing about cellphones (or explain the $20 and tax is lost).

rated:
I've had a Sprint Moto E on Ring+ for over a year, but it's only been a spare phone for me anyway. I've always has only a free plan and have only spent about $12 ($10 + tax) for one top-off. So I guess I got my money out of it. This phone has limited life, anyway - clearly Spint isn't going to update it past Android 5.1, unless I want to root the phone and try to upgrade it that way. Good as a WiFi phone, I guess!

rated:
Is RingTo still an option for free porting? I remember using it before they started talking about a paid plan. I just went back now and received this message "Sorry, porting has been temporarily disabled. Please try again later." Does anyone know if that is an ongoing thing or is it just that they may be getting hammered by Ring+ refugees?

rated:
anonguy said:   Is RingTo still an option for free porting? I remember using it before they started talking about a paid plan. I just went back now and received this message "Sorry, porting has been temporarily disabled. Please try again later." Does anyone know if that is an ongoing thing or is it just that they may be getting hammered by Ring+ refugees?
  Temporarily means forever so no Ringto.  I don't know how long they will support the numbers already there.  There probably won't be a paid plan either.

rated:
anonguy said:   So what happens if you have money sitting in the account? I would assume it is long gone. Had my MiL on an account and needed to top up $20 to change plan. That was barely a month ago. She used Ring+ for a year, so even if it disappears, it was probably still worth it. But I'm not looking forward to the hassle of changing people over who don't really know a thing about cellphones (or explain the $20 and tax is lost).
  I'm curious about the money in the account too. Two lines of mine were opened not long ago and didn't have any usage. I would want to have my money back. Wonder how Ring+ is going to handle this.

rated:
anonguy said:   So what happens if you have money sitting in the account? I would assume it is long gone. 
  Yep.

rated:
jacks...

rated:
so the (new) Sprint Prepaid phones on R+ will not work with FreedomPop?

rated:
I guess people who recently topped up could, in theory, do chargebacks on their CC. Not exactly sure how that works if Ring+ coffers are bare.

rated:
Im so upset i just paid $120 to be member, can't they go back to old system?

rated:
So I think I'm going to let it ride until Monday at least... maybe some Sprint MVNO will be bending over backwards to pick up R+ subscribers.

Then again, the other Sprint MVNOs may just look at R+ customers as a bunch of cheapskate freeloaders.

rated:
Merchant bank eats the loss in these cases.  Definitely file a chargeback if you're within the time frame with your CC issuer.
anonguy said:   I guess people who recently topped up could, in theory, do chargebacks on their CC. Not exactly sure how that works if Ring+ coffers are bare.
  

rated:
vegetation said:   Merchant bank eats the loss in these cases.  Definitely file a chargeback if you're within the time frame with your CC issuer.
anonguy said:   I guess people who recently topped up could, in theory, do chargebacks on their CC. Not exactly sure how that works if Ring+ coffers are bare.
  

  How recently can you do a chargeback from top-off--30 days, 60 days?

rated:
I paid them $15+tax per 3 mo for extra data so it'd be great just to get a full 30 days so I can use all that.

I've never ported a number out before. When is the last day I should reasonably start a Tello (or other) account if I want to keep the number? I am guessing the 8th.

rated:
Nice!

rated:
thanks Karl

rated:
Can I use my current phone with other carriers (Sprint or non-Sprint) if it is locked?

rated:
jws1 said:   I paid them $15+tax per 3 mo for extra data so it'd be great just to get a full 30 days so I can use all that.

I've never ported a number out before. When is the last day I should reasonably start a Tello (or other) account if I want to keep the number? I am guessing the 8th.

  I would want 7 days minimum just in case.  It usually goes through quickly. As little as 2 working days but it depends on both companies.  New company makes the request old company releases the number.

rated:
h8py said:   Can I use my current phone with other carriers (Sprint or non-Sprint ) if it is locked?
  Depends on the carrier. I would use the checker at ting.com (3G/4G) and FreedomPop.com (4G only) to see. 

rated:
Is there a Handy table of providers/costs that are compatible with Ring+ phones? Sticky would be great, thanx! I'm scrambling to find something on such short notice.

rated:
Received R+ deactivation email for Feb 11th deadline.. Oh well.. adios R+.. you were good till u lasted.. Hope something happens before Feb 11th to save this tadpole from the big fish.

Skipping 522 Messages...
rated:
I like the spreadsheet on the first page of this thread, but it left out many details I care about, so I made a copy and about doubled the information.
Use the request edit access link under view only if you'd like to contribute details I have missed, otherwise I hope this will help folks decide where to go after Ting.
Nothing compares to Ring+, but there are more doable low cost plans than I realized.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017