• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Older people can expect a big jump... in the fee for a lifetime pass to visit national parks, as part of a larger move to pay for major projects and enhanced services.

The fee for a lifetime pass for citizens 62 and older will go from $10 to $80... But if you get a lifetime pass before the change is implemented (expected by end of 2017), it will cost only $10.

Link 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Best $10 I ever spent.

Thanks for the notice.

rated:
Needs a bump every few weeks for those that will be 62 in 2017, but are not there yet.

rated:
Wow OP, I didn't know this existed! Green

rated:
$20.00 fee to have it mailed, or you can buy at the park 

Free for Active military show id at gate. 

rated:
How do they check age? When you buy it or at the gate? Can I buy one now and then not use it till I'm 62?

rated:
JamesTKirk said:   How do they check age? When you buy it or at the gate? Can I buy one now and then not use it till I'm 62?

I had the same question.  Below is the only information that I could find:
How to Buy a National Parks Lifetime Senior Pass
The Senior Pass to national parks cannot be purchased by mail or online. It must be purchased in person at a federal area where entrance fees are charged, or at regional offices of the National Park Service, the U.S. Forest Service or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Proof of age, such as a valid driver's license, is required at the time you purchase your senior pass. For more information about the National Parks Lifetime Senior Pass, call the National Park Service at 1-888-ASK-USGS. 

rated:
salzmane said:   
JamesTKirk said:   How do they check age? When you buy it or at the gate? Can I buy one now and then not use it till I'm 62?

It must be purchased in person at a federal area where entrance fees are charged, or at regional offices of the National Park Service, the U.S. Forest Service or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Proof of age, such as a valid driver's license, is required at the time you purchase your senior pass. For more information about the National Parks Lifetime Senior Pass, call the National Park Service at 1-888-ASK-USGS. 

It can be purchased online.

To place this order online, you will be required to upload a photo or scan of documentation issued by an authorized U.S. agency that demonstrates US Citizenship or permanent residence and birthdate, such as of your driver's license, passport, or state issued ID. These may be uploaded as a jpeg, gif, png or pdf (cannot exceed 20 MB).

rated:
Possibly. These were/are? generic cards that you sign. Have someone over 62 buy it and not sign it. Wait until you're 62 to use. Obviously for younger people the cards would be ancient by the time they became usable. You'd effectively be giving the Park Service extra funds due to the time value.

rated:
If you don't appear to be of age, the guard will ask for ID each time you go in.  Also note that anyone in the car can present the pass - doesn't have to be the driver.

rated:
used to be free?

rated:
I just got mine in Nov. Had to show ID, fill out a form, sign the card with a magic marker pen. Form and card were on a clip board, after signing he took it back, checked it, then gave me the card.

rated:
Picked mine up in person. No form. DL for ID/establish age. Credit card in card reader for the $10.00 fee. Sign lifetime pass in fine line felt tip.
Employee says Congress did their part. Just waiting for new administrator to say the word and price increase effective whenever they say.
Pass covers carload if at gate. I visited a museum setting. Fee collected inside. Card covers three friends and myself.

rated:
If you have any handicap, the pass is FREE, and it includes everyone in the vehicle as well

rated:
You can buy it at the toll booth to a national park or local federal land offices. Make sure you get the hangtag so you get free parking at national forests and at parks which collect fees but do not have toll booths. It is not valid on state or local land.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017