Shoes.com files bancruptcy, removes website

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Surprised this has got almost no press. (UPDATED POST BELOW)

Early January, Shoes.com told me that if I returned two pairs of merrell shoes (xmas gifts from boyfriend in styles I dislike), each refund would be shorted by $6 (total $12) restock fee but if exchanged them, there would be no fee charged.  Ive been waiting for merrell shoe style I do wear to become available in my size for exchange because they told me I had 90days to return but this morning, decided will just return them despite restock fee.

They're actually 3 companies - Shoes.com, OnlineShoes.com and ShoeME.ca - and big as they are, got to be plenty more folks who were intending on returning for refunds now in limbo.
Plan to call merrell Shoes when open tomorrow but wondering if thats a dead end, stuck with ugly pricey shoes.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You could try a couple things:
1) Credit card dispute
2) (edit: just read your last sentence where you are doing this) You might want to try contacting merrell and explain the situation.  If there is another merrell style you want to exchange for maybe they will work with you.

If a company goes bankrupt, you join the list of creditors. Based on the status at bankruptcy, expect you will get nothing. merrell would be your only option. Credit card company won't do anything, you received what was ordered.

So basically you have some shoes but can't return them?

Yes Zon has it right, chargeback or see if merrell will exchange.

I think chargeback is worth a try...and you can keep the shoes. Explain that you had arranged a return but they shut down before you could complete transaction.

Some credit cards have damage protection...it might fall under these category.  They be so ugly, it would damage your reputation.

They could be "stolen" if you have theft protection on your CC.

Check if your credit card has "Return Protection". That's a Program that refunds your money if the merchant would not accept a return. That, if available, seems like a more legit path than charge back.

Article here http://footwearnews.com/2017/business/retail/shoes-com-bankrupt-... states:

Meanwhile, representatives for several brands — including Earth Brands Footwear and Ros Hommerson — have come forward to state that they can be contacted by customers regarding exchanges and/or returns of merchandise for Shoes.com and its affiliates. (A spokesperson for Earth Brands told FN today that the brand is happy to field calls and emails from Shoes.com consumers and will help with exchanges but won’t be able to take returns.)

Thanks for advise, this was on Discover who does have 90 day return protection. We willed be emailed claim forms from company that handles this policy for them.

Didnt call merrell, they still list shoe I want but my size 10W, along with few other sizes, are showing not in stock, which struck me peculiar since they manufacturer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017