• filter:

RingPlus lines will be automatically migrated to Ting

  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: HOT DEALS, DEAL DISCUSSION. — Mar. 30, 2017 @ 4:39am
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
can we migrate these ringplus (now ting) numbers to tmobile to get free iphone 7 (assume i have some iphone 6 lying arou... (more)

microkelvin (Mar. 04, 2017 @ 5:42p) |

I can't imagine why not - I migrated some of my lines to MetroPCS and got free phones - your situation should be no diff... (more)

lemonhead (Mar. 14, 2017 @ 2:49p) |

I logged in to my Ting dashboard.  I made each device inactive and then deleted them.  Finally I called in to Ting CS to... (more)

ablang (Mar. 14, 2017 @ 8:42p) |




NOW RingPlus has failed us. I disputed at AMEX for $120 Membership+ fee which was paid just two months ago.  Just received reply from AMEX that decision is in favor or me because Ring+ didn't  respond to the message AMEX sent to them.  I suggest everybody trying this.   Ring+ wouldn't have the resource to respond to all inquiries. 

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
procrastinators (me) rejoice!

rated:
does Ting have free plans?

rated:
needhelpplease said:   does Ting have free plans?
  NO
minimum is about $ 6 / month,
but you'll get a $ 35 one-time credit when ting automatically transfers your account,
then you can decide if you want to stay . . . .
 

rated:
needhelpplease said:   does Ting have free plans?
  No,

The best thing about Ting is that they have free voice roaming.   

Not so good about Ting
There is a $ 6/month line charge and everything you use text, voice and data charges are additional.
You pay for tiers of text, minutes and data.   If you go over you are charged for the next tier so for example 1 minute costs $3, but so does 100 minutes.   If you use 101 all the way up to 500 you pay $9, if you use 501 minutes you are charged $ 18.  So if you go just barely over a tier the costs can be a lot.   In most situations your bill will be lower with a service like tello.   HOWEVER Ting has voice roaming, so if you leave a Sprint area your phone can still make and receive calls.   This may be very important to some users.   Tello has no monthly line charge.   You are either pay as you go or buying buckets of minutes, texts and data.    

 

rated:
As if yet another thread about this issue was needed.

rated:
so your free lines are migrated to at least $6 month for no usage....what a deal !!Karl struck a good deal finally...Ting probably bought him a new Learjet and Island vacatin home...enjoy Karl...!!!!!!!

rated:
i think i will go to Ting and use the $6 a month with No usage and try it for 5 months free. ?

rated:
trumpotron said:   i think i will go to Ting and use the $6 a month with No usage and try it for 5 months free. ?
"No usage"... and exactly WHAT will you be "trying" for free?
You get NOTHING but a parked phone for $6.
SAD, VERY SAD.

rated:
mbrenner said:   
needhelpplease said:   does Ting have free plans?
  No,

The best thing about Ting is that they have free voice roaming.   

Not so good about Ting
There is a $ 6/month line charge and everything you use text, voice and data charges are additional.
You pay for tiers of text, minutes and data.   If you go over you are charged for the next tier so for example 1 minute costs $3, but so does 100 minutes.   If you use 101 all the way up to 500 you pay $9, if you use 501 minutes you are charged $ 18.  So if you go just barely over a tier the costs can be a lot.   In most situations your bill will be lower with a service like tello.   HOWEVER Ting has voice roaming, so if you leave a Sprint area your phone can still make and receive calls.   This may be very important to some users.   Tello has no monthly line charge.   You are either pay as you go or buying buckets of minutes, texts and data.    

 

I've been looking at both Ting and Tello, and I just ported my old RingPlus phone to Ting.  I will probably move it to Tello PayGo in a month or two.  But it isn't my primary phone, which now runs on a T-Mobile MVNO.

But Ting seems pretty cool, actually.  You can set limits on your usage and disable minutes, data, or texts right before they hit the next bucket.  For example, if you hit 98 minutes, you can disable calling at that point instead of going into the next bucket at 100 minutes.  Sure, that's probably inconvenient if you are in the middle of a call (you can re-enable it if need be to the next bucket with the phone, assuming you didn't already have data disabled).  Or just have Ting email you with a warning before you hit certain buckets, so at least it won't surprise you.  Or stop making calls the rest of the month and use Google Hangouts or something to make calls via WiFi.

I am considering moving my primary phone to Ting too.  It's pretty cool that they do GSM too, and I can share the same buckets of minutes and data between two phones.  But no, $6/mon doesn't make much sense for the spare (old RingPlus) phone I rarely use, so I'll probably move that one to Tello soon.  Having the $35 credit at least lets me try some things for free.

rated:
15 moths ago I said you were all lemmings running for the cliff and now on the way down karl is still in charge.

rated:
Ting has great customer service. And they are very transparent, they make it easy to set email alerts or hard caps to limit you from going over a certain amount of min/txt/data.

It is also nice that there is no contract, you don't even have to pick a "plan" ahead of time and possibly end up not using most of it. Instead, you just use whatever you want and at the end of the month they charge you for whatever "bucket" of min, texts, and data you end up in. If you use nothing in a particular month, you pay the $6 line charge and that's it.

But as mbrenner said, it can be pricey and sting a bit when you go just over into the next bucket. I found it psychologically painful to think that one extra minute could bump me from the 100 tier to the 500 tier and cost me an extra $6 for that one-minute phone call. (I do think they give you a 5% "grace" overage where they won't charge you, so I think you don't get bumped up to the next bucket until 106 minutes.) So I ended up getting nervous and closely monitoring my usage and trying to avoid using the phone if I was at 90+ minutes near the end of the month. I guess I'm frugal (or cheap) since it stressed me out way more than $6 logically should.

But those of you expecting cell service and data for free are probably not being realistic. I was thrilled to have 15+ months of free cell service through RingPlus, but there is a reason their model was not sustainable and they are going out of business. For my pretty low usage, I switched to Tello and will probably pay about $10/mo, and am happy with that.

With the $35 of free credit (more if you had a top-up balance at R+), Ting is a great place to try out and see if it's right for you or not. Ting makes it easy to port in and out, no fees.

rated:
It is also nice that there is no contract, you don't even have to pick a "plan" ahead of time and possibly end up not using most of it. Instead, you just use whatever you want and at the end of the month they charge you for whatever "bucket" of min, texts, and data you end up in. If you use nothing in a particular month, you pay the $6 line charge and that's it.
IOW, it's got all the downsides of a postpaid plan, except the basic "plan" is $6/mo instead of whatever crazy numbers they still get for postpaid.

I agree about the limits (though the defaults are ridiculous, as I posted elsewhere). Do they guarantee instant reporting? I assume talk and text are immediate (though if they don't report a call until it's finished, you could go past your limit mid-call, but if they shut you down mid-call that's good -- I'm referring to "disable" alerts here of course, not "email" or "text" alerts). But it seems most carriers claim there's a lag in reporting of data usage, and that's the one that scares me.

I set my Alerts to 95/95/95 (warning/warning/disable) until I know what kind of usage we'll see. It's the data that scares me the most, even with a Disable alert. Will be interesting to see.

=aw

rated:
If you have a ringplus line with a balance and a phone number you're not attached to, you might as well burn that balance to get a memorable # by swapping #s multiple times til you get one youre happy with.

All balances between 0 and 35 will automatically be set to 35 with the ting transfer happens, so you might as well be at $0.

rated:
@jd2010 I have a balance of $38. What is the best fatwallet way?

rated:
I guess it's a good way to save the number if you want to, with the $35 credit. What if you don't want it? How do you opt out? To me, for a low usage line, Tello is a better deal. At least for your $6 you do get some service.

rated:
trumpotron said:   so your free lines are migrated to at least $6 month for no usage....what a deal !!Karl struck a good deal finally...Ting probably bought him a new Learjet and Island vacatin home...enjoy Karl...!!!!!!!
  Probably more like $1 a head or less on his way out the door. Still, probably his first money maker.

rated:
Can someone please explain how-to steps to the referral deal, $50/$25?

With 5 lines, would the best case scenario be:
- transfer Line 1 to Ting
- refer Line 2
- transfer Line 2
- use Line 2 to refer Line 3
- transfer Line 3
- use Line 3 to refer Line 4...

ending up with:
- $35+ $50 for Line 1
- $25+ $50 for each of Lines 2-4
- $25 for Line 5

rated:
Just get FreedomPop instead, so far so good for me.

rated:
TheDealMaker said:   Just get FreedomPop instead, so far so good for me.
  How does FreedomPop voip work these days.  I tried it years ago and it was aweful, but that was pre-LTE.

rated:
chubbypops said:   I guess it's a good way to save the number if you want to, with the $35 credit. What if you don't want it? How do you opt out? To me, for a low usage line, Tello is a better deal. At least for your $6 you do get some service.
  Ting sent out an email yesterday that answers your question: https://ting.com/m/ringplus-migration-faq/

"
=14pxI don't want to use Ting. What do I do?=14px The best thing to do is wait. RingPlus can't handle the volume of port-out requests it's receiving. When your phone number is on Ting, our automated porting system will yield much faster and more reliable results."

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   
mbrenner said:   
needhelpplease said:   does Ting have free plans?
  No,

The best thing about Ting is that they have free voice roaming.   

Not so good about Ting
There is a $ 6/month line charge and everything you use text, voice and data charges are additional.
You pay for tiers of text, minutes and data.   If you go over you are charged for the next tier so for example 1 minute costs $3, but so does 100 minutes.   If you use 101 all the way up to 500 you pay $9, if you use 501 minutes you are charged $ 18.  So if you go just barely over a tier the costs can be a lot.   In most situations your bill will be lower with a service like tello.   HOWEVER Ting has voice roaming, so if you leave a Sprint area your phone can still make and receive calls.   This may be very important to some users.   Tello has no monthly line charge.   You are either pay as you go or buying buckets of minutes, texts and data.    

 

I've been looking at both Ting and Tello, and I just ported my old RingPlus phone to Ting.  I will probably move it to Tello PayGo in a month or two.  But it isn't my primary phone, which now runs on a T-Mobile MVNO.

But Ting seems pretty cool, actually.  You can set limits on your usage and disable minutes, data, or texts right before they hit the next bucket.  For example, if you hit 98 minutes, you can disable calling at that point instead of going into the next bucket at 100 minutes.  Sure, that's probably inconvenient if you are in the middle of a call (you can re-enable it if need be to the next bucket with the phone, assuming you didn't already have data disabled).  Or just have Ting email you with a warning before you hit certain buckets, so at least it won't surprise you.  Or stop making calls the rest of the month and use Google Hangouts or something to make calls via WiFi.

I am considering moving my primary phone to Ting too.  It's pretty cool that they do GSM too, and I can share the same buckets of minutes and data between two phones.  But no, $6/mon doesn't make much sense for the spare (old RingPlus) phone I rarely use, so I'll probably move that one to Tello soon.  Having the $35 credit at least lets me try some things for free.

  If someone is willing to pay $6/month to just park their phone, why not consider Speedtalk (T-Mobile MVNO).  For $5/mo, you'll get voice or text or data at $0.02 per min or per text or per MB data.  Use it however you want mix and match, up to your $5 limit each month.  If you run out, add a cash card, essentially a  paygo, at $0.05 voice, $0.02 text or $0.05/MB data.

rated:
shallot said:   
  If someone is willing to pay $6/month to just park their phone, why not consider Speedtalk (T-Mobile MVNO).  For $5/mo, you'll get voice or text or data at $0.02 per min or per text or per MB data.  Use it however you want mix and match, up to your $5 limit each month.  If you run out, add a cash card, essentially a  paygo, at $0.05 voice, $0.02 text or $0.05/MB data.

If you just want to "park" your number Tello is a great deal since all you have to do is buy $5 PAYGo balance and you are set for 6 months.
The advantage being that you can actually use the service if the need arises and their rates are great.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   As if yet another thread about this issue was needed.
  Soon it will all be just a distant memory ... or a cautionary tale. Take your pick.

rated:
anonguy said:   
marcopolomle said:   As if yet another thread about this issue was needed.
  Soon it will all be just a distant memory ... or a cautionary tale. Take your pick.

I can't wait.

rated:
Not sure why we keep seeing Speedtalk as an option. People on Ring+ have CDMA phones, not GSM. $5 a month is okay, but $5 for however long it lasts (which Tello's PAYGO is) is a whole lot better. Plus their minutes/text/data is cheaper. An all-around better deal for vast majority of Ring+ users (well, former users).

rated:
anonguy said:   Not sure why we keep seeing Speedtalk as an option. People on Ring+ have CDMA phones, not GSM. $5 a month is okay, but $5 for however long it lasts (which Tello's PAYGO is) is a whole lot better. Plus their minutes/text/data is cheaper. An all-around better deal for vast majority of Ring+ users (well, former users).
Many company representative signed up just to "help" us move to their service e.g. heather for Teltik., alexdm for Tello etc

rated:
So I have multiple phones for myself and family w/ both RingPlus and FreedomPop.

I'm willing to concede the topup money I've spent and figure I've at least broken even over the years. I don't care about keeping the same phone numbers. I'd like to move my remaining RingPlus phones over to FreedomPop. I sure as heck don't want to pay $6/month to Ting so I'm also conceding the $35 credit for my 1 RingPlus account (all RP phones were under it).

Do I need to cancel my account(s) (one really) w/ RingPlus so that I can get service w/ FreedomPop or are the phone numbers all automatically released once a carrier (or in this case an MVNO) goes out of business?

rated:
All your Ring+ numbers are being ported to Ting with a $35 initial balance. To make them active you have to sign up with Ting and give them a CC. I don't know what happens to them if you don't. Ting is a postpaid service with a minimum $6/mo charge (for no usage) but so there's no theoretical limit to how much it can cost. You can port out of Ting afterwards. I don't know what happens if you haven't activated with Ting.

If you have multiple Ring+ numbers on the same account, they'll get $35 to share. So even if you want Ting for a month or two (to buy time or whatever), if you have a Ring+ account with 5 lines, you need to get 4 of them ported out somewhere (including to Ting on 4 separate accounts, all emails and possibly names and CCs different from the one you use on Ring+) before the mass push happens. IOW, right now!

I may have missed a couple of details but for me the most important answers to your question were (a) your numbers and handsets aren't being release they're being pushed to Ting, and (b) you don't want >1 active line per account during the push process.

I'm sure others have more info on the details and other options (but there's not much time).

[ADDED: I get that you're conceding the $35 top-up across all lines, but if you have (say) 6 lines, they may want $36. As I mentioned, I don't know what happens if you don't sign up with Ting, for all I know you can let the push happen, not give Ting any info, and port right out again.]

=aw

rated:
If I sign with a Tello plan for talk and data, can I use paygo for texts if needed?

rated:
Is the Price shown on Ting site fixed or for each month specified amount + all other extra fees and taxes?

rated:
msakthivel said:   Is the Price shown on Ting site fixed or for each month specified amount + all other extra fees and taxes?
  Ting is $6/month per line. Ting then has separate tiers for minutes, texts and data. So, use 1 minute $9 for the month + taxes. Use 1 text and 1 minute $12($6 line + $3 M + 3 T) plus taxes and fees. Etc. 

rated:
IMPORTANT Updates about
your phone service and Ting Migration!
 
 
 


rated:
IMPORTANT UPDATES

ABOUT YOUR SERVICE
& the
TING MIGRATION


More Time!

Members, your numbers & service are now safe 'til 3pm PDT, Tues, Feb. 21, 2017.

Actual migration date to Ting coming soon!



Dear RingPlus Members,

RingPlus was able to extended service as late as February 21, 2017 eventhough when we expect the migration to Ting to happen somewhat sooner next week (before February 21). Ting will announce the actual migration date soon.

You do not need to worry that you may lose your phone numbers or service! All numbers will be moved to Ting. (Ting will allow you to freely port in and out.) In addition, RingPlus made free and 1 cent daily plans available with a small ($2) auto top up requirements that will be triggered if your balance hits zero. Please check the "Upgrade" function on your dashboard to see those plans. These plans will allow you to maintain phone service until your migration to Ting is completed.

Again, Ting will be offering credits in the amount of your entire RingPlus top ups, and offers outstanding rates, with no fixed plans or commitments, for families and low usage individuals.

For more on Ting, rates, how it works, the offer, and the migration, please check out these links:

https://ting.com/m/ringplus-migration-faq/

https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/11477/ting/p1

https://youtu.be/bEXNtL8086M



rated:
brusbrother said:   If I sign with a Tello plan for talk and data, can I use paygo for texts if needed?
  Not sure, I don't think so.  Can you use google voice for texts?  That's what I would do if I signed up for one of those create your own bucket plans.

I assume Tello's PayGo (3c/1c/2c) doesn't work for you?

rated:
Clocks said:   
brusbrother said:   If I sign with a Tello plan for talk and data, can I use paygo for texts if needed?
  Not sure, I don't think so.  Can you use google voice for texts?  That's what I would do if I signed up for one of those create your own bucket plans.

I assume Tello's PayGo (3c/1c/2c) doesn't work for you?

Just spoke to tello and indeed you can combine a plan with pay as you go for texts. Or as you suggest use GV for text or textnow over data cnxn.
First buy "plan" then and setup paygo for texts (or whatever you use beyond your "plan").

rated:
correction updated 2/10/17 5:25 PM:  The RingPlus to Ting migration  is scheduled to occur sometime next week. An earlier version of this post incorrectly stated that the migration would occur tomorrow. That was based on a comment by a Ting staffer on Ting blog post which was apparently incorrect. RingPlus emailed its customers today assuring them that the migration would happen sometime next week as originally scheduled.   

rated:
brusbrother said:   
You do not need to worry that you may lose your phone numbers or service! All numbers will be moved to Ting. (Ting will allow you to freely port in and out.) In addition, RingPlus made free and 1 cent daily plans available with a small ($2) auto top up requirements that will be triggered if your balance hits zero. Please check the "Upgrade" function on your dashboard to see those plans. These plans will allow you to maintain phone service until your migration to Ting is completed.  
 

Does this mean that we have to change our existing plans to these "maintenance plans" in order to continue receiving service from R+ till Feb 21st?

rated:
These "maintenance plans" had might as well be called "Mad is What We're Going to Drive You," since I'm sort of confused as to why there is a need to create new plans if everything is going to be switched over within 10 days.

Skipping 149 Messages...
rated:
lemonhead said:   
microkelvin said:   can we migrate these ringplus (now ting) numbers to tmobile to get free iphone 7 (assume i have some iphone 6 lying around for trade in)?
  I can't imagine why not - I migrated some of my lines to MetroPCS and got free phones - your situation should be no different.

​question for Ting users who are bailing after migration - if you cancel lines, do the devices just free up so you can move them wherever? and how long does it take - i'm in no hurry but I have a couple lines I want to cancel and maybe move those devices to FreedomPop

  
I logged in to my Ting dashboard.  I made each device inactive and then deleted them.  Finally I called in to Ting CS to cancel & close my account.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017