Tax holiday on online Sears orders paid with SYWR points appears to be over?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I've noticed before that I never paid state sales tax with online Sears or Kmart orders that I paid for using accumulated SYWR (Shop Your Way Rewards) points--sweet!

However, I just placed an online order with Sears paid for with SYWR points (only), and the state sales tax amount remained in the total (sigh).

Anybody else notice this change?  It's like the state governors got together and figured this out..!

At least today, the eBates cashback is at 8% for Sears, and unless Sears wised up about that with SYWR points purchases, I'll end up with that, lol.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is governed by the state you have your order shipped to. Check your state law

how about in store?

Then its governed by the laws of where you purchased

Amazon is now covered by some states sales tax requirements that were not previously. My bet is your state is now included in both situations.

vickh said:   how about in store?
I am in California and I used points to pay for a purchase at a K-Mart store today and I wasn't charged any tax.

UkeDoggie said:   I've noticed before that I never paid state sales tax with online Sears or Kmart orders that I paid for using accumulated SYWR (Shop Your Way Rewards) points--sweet!

However, I just placed an online order with Sears paid for with SYWR points (only), and the state sales tax amount remained in the total (sigh).

Anybody else notice this change?  It's like the state governors got together and figured this out..!

At least today, the eBates cashback is at 8% for Sears, and unless Sears wised up about that with SYWR points purchases, I'll end up with that, lol.

What state are you in?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017