• filter:

TaxAct Price Lock not being honored

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
When I filed the 2015 return with TaxAct, I opted in for the "price lock" offer for the 2016 return, at $10 for Premium. I recall that that lock properly appeared in my account, and I left a memo to myself separately. Today I've logged in to my account to start the 2016 return, and now I see $27.99. It properly indicates that it was created in April 2016, but conveniently without any mentioning the price lock. I wonder where and how it got lost. Should I have paid the locked price last year? I don't recall I was asked to do so though. Anyone having this issue with TaxAct?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I am very confused. It says it's 0, but when I add a state it's $33. I don't think I've ever paid more than $18 for it and I've used TaxAct for about 10 years.

rated:
I had a problem with a price lock. I was being charged a higher price.

I just contacted customer service by e-mail and they took care of issue without any problem.   Customer service was outstanding.

rated:
freetaxusa only charges for the state, mine was $12.95 with efile, it came up with almost the exact same numbers as HRBlock, I didn't want to pay the $30 something extra they wanted for state

rated:
Seeing the same issue - contacted customer service and awaiting resolution. The $10 deal should have been locked in - disappointed to have to go through this hassle. TaxAct has really had issues over the past few years. The whole filing process is irritating enough - no need to stoke the fire any more than necessary!

rated:
I followed the price lock to $10 last year using links from FW but between late October 2016 to April 2017, it never showed up. Ended up paying $40 for federal and one state returns. I started working on my taxes last year because I had a property sale, complicated depreciation deductions, and a lot of stock trades so even @ $40, it was acceptable to me. However, the bigger issue is I am not happy with the way TaxAct keeps moving the goal posts these past few years.

Why not set a fair price to begin with and not use so many gimmicks and blindside long-standing customers? The ad hoc pricing strategy is bound to get old quickly. I look forward to major tax reform (tax simplification.) Next year, I do not anticipate as much tax work and will probably wait for a good deal in March 2018.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017