I learned a lesson: eBay is unfair for seller like me

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Recently a buyer claimed received an item not as she expected.  The item I sold is Norton Security Deluxe - 3 devices PC Mac IOS + Utilities Bundle 3 PCs - 1 year.  It is in original seal box.  The buyer said:
This Norton only have utilities on the download, I'm requesting a refund because I have used Norton Security Protection before and this Norton is very different from what I original used.

I told eBay:
In the original list, it clearly said I don't accept return. The item I sent to the buyer is in original sealed box. I did send the correct item to the buyer with nothing wrong. It is a software for Norton Security Deluxe plus Norton Utilities. The buyer already opened the box. Once the box is opened, it cannot be sold as the one in new condition. The buyer already got the key code/activation code and can use it anytime by going to Norton website to download the software. In all stores, once you open a software, it is not returnable. It looks like the buyer tried to abuse eBay protection to ask return. The buyer claimed the item is not like old product she used. However, the buyer should realize the item is Norton 2017 new version. I'm not responsible for the buyer to get a new version like her old product.

Norton changed their products recently by providing key code/activation code only, no more CD.  Of course the buyer got the item "very different" from what she original used.

eBay decision is: we will have your customer send the item back to you for a full refund.

The buyer has only 1 review when she bought my item, a very new member in eBay.  I have 150+ review with 100% and has been with eBay for more than 15 years.  I had no trouble for selling at all until this one.  In this case, I lost an original sealed software and two shipping fees.  The buyer received the key code worth the full price for the software without paying a penny.

Should I simply take the loss?  Or is there anything I can do to get money back?  Anyway, I won't sell anything on eBay from now on.  Maybe I could do something like the buyer to get profit back, just kidding.  Also people should be careful if you are selling on eBay and got the buyer like the one I met.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Call eBay. Explain this is a case of buyers remorse. Phone support has always been on my side. The automated resolution program online almost always decides in the customers favor, so if someone opens a case against me I just call in. I usually just phrase it as a question, "a buyer opened a case which they admit is buyers remorse, Ie they didn't know what they were ordering because they thought it was the same as the old version, and I want to know how to protect myself" eBay usually decides in my favor right then and there

eBay employees don't spend a lot of time reading, have to keep it short and to the point.

​Just say "Buyer admits that they did not understand what they were buying, item description was accurate and complete. item has already been consumed by customer. Like other said, call eBay and appeal.

don't explain it as buyer's remorse

explain that stores do not take Open Box software for returns and neither should you, and for the same reason. the customer can install it then return it, but a used activation code will mean the returned software is useless.

The item description is correct and accurately described what the customer ordered.

(PS eBya IS unfair for sellers. anyone can say "Item Not As Described" and eBay will knee jerk make you take it back returns or no returns. It is a matter if you can convince  not to take this return)

You may win the eBay case but an a-hat buyer can always do a CC dispute against PP with a SNAD claim.  PP will hand the money back to the buyer on a silver platter.  Sellers are screwed either way.

There is a forum here called Online Auction Info where this sort of thing has probably been discussed quite a bit.

When you first posted your thread here, I asked the FW mods to create a duplicate post for you in that forum too, but it looks like they didn't do that.

I have just gone to get the link to that forum for you, and I see that that forum has been stripped of most of its threads - I don't know why... I had the impression in years past that it was more of an active forum. Anyway, I guess that's why they didn't duplicate your thread there.
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/online-auction-info

Here is a similar topic from that pruned forum:
"Buyer says item not as described and started a return"
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/online-auction-info/1539980

I am pretty sure that I've seen threads on your topic in the Finance forum, in past years.
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance

oppidum said:   There is a forum here called Online Auction Info where this sort of thing has probably been discussed quite a bit.

OAI forum is pretty much dead.

Yup, dead

I lost a PP CC chargeback after winning the eBay SNAD case.  The bank let the buyer keep the item for free.  Has anyone gone through the route of suing the buyer through small claims court in order to recover the cost of the item?  Is it just a waste of time and I'm throwing good money after bad (court filing fee)?

Also, what will happen if I "abandon" my PayPal account and leave the account balance in negative?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017