Amazon Dropped Free Shipping Threshold to $35

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You are so right.  If an item shows in stock, it should ship immediately.  5-days to ship is unacceptable. Throttling is... (more)

jonny206 (Feb. 19, 2017 @ 3:17p) |

Wow good news , thanks OP. I actually don't mind waiting if at the end I get a good deal. 
Since Amazon increased shippin... (more)

ivana (Feb. 19, 2017 @ 4:30p) |

Even though I have Prime I still sometimes choose "no rush shipping" because the $1 digital credit applies to downloads ... (more)

st4rdust (Feb. 20, 2017 @ 8:53a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am more likely to order from them again since I don't order often enough to make it worth having PRIME.

Amazon is most likely doing this in response to WalMart's new policy. Let the shipping wars begin.

I didn't realize they raised the minimum from $35 to $49 in the first place. (Yes, I have prime)

canoeguy1 said:   Amazon is most likely doing this in response to WalMart 's new policy. Let the shipping wars begin.
 I  wasn't aware of W@lmart's new policy, but I see now there's a thread about it:

WalMart Lowers Free Shipping Threshold to $35 -- Free 2-Day Shipping on 2M Items
www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1553303

My Prime ran out yesterday, I decided not to renew after being with them 10 years.
I had student for 6 years, one free year, and 2 other years at a reduced rate
I don't use their streaming tv service anymore, so it makes no sense for me to pay the yearly fee
The $35 free ship will keep me ordering things, their customer service has been great for us

Stick'em WalMart..  Still the King.. Since Amazon is now charging taxes in my state, they are no longer the best bargain.

I have been having a lot of issues with Amazon 's third party sellers. Shill reviewers that I have to always have to question. I am actually getting quite tired of it. Returns are a hassle and I am tired of worrying if Amazon will blacklist me just for complaining or returning a item that I was tricked into buying because some fake review said it was something it was not.

Retailnever said:   Stick'em WalMart. .  Still the King.. Since Amazon is now charging taxes in my state, they are no longer the best bargain.
  My state also started the Amazon Tax, however I find I can get around the tax many times by selecting different vendors on the list, and look at the checkout and see if tax shows up.

just signup with new email and credit card and get 1 month free

started as $25.  people happy.

went to $35.  people mad.

went to $49.  people stop shopping.

back to $35.  people happy.

well played, amberzon...

kingdoodler said:   I have been having a lot of issues with Amazon 's third party sellers. Shill reviewers that I have to always have to question. I am actually getting quite tired of it. Returns are a hassle and I am tired of worrying if Amazon will blacklist me just for complaining or returning a item that I was tricked into buying because some fake review said it was something it was not.

seems like the solution here would be to stop buying from 3rd party sellers.

good thing I have a degree in rocket science!

Other than the free month trial of Prime I got the past couple of years it certainly makes me more likely to shop there again at $35.  It's nice to have the option back because the spend $49 free ship policy did not fly for me.  Book orders are $25 free ship too.

LORENW said:   
Retailnever said:   Stick'em WalMart. .  Still the King.. Since Amazon is now charging taxes in my state, they are no longer the best bargain.
  My state also started the Amazon Tax, however I find I can get around the tax many times by selecting different vendors on the list, and look at the checkout and see if tax shows up.

You don't have to go to checkout to see if you'll be charged taxes. When you click on the list of all sellers on the product page ("Other Sellers on Ama zon"), the list is sorted by price + shipping, and the exact taxes charged is listed under each seller's price (along with customer ratings of sellers). Those 3 peices of info make it very to convenient to find the best currently available value.

kingdoodler said:   I have been having a lot of issues with Amazon 's third party sellers. Shill reviewers that I have to always have to question. I am actually getting quite tired of it. Returns are a hassle and I am tired of worrying if Amazon will blacklist me just for complaining or returning a item that I was tricked into buying because some fake review said it was something it was not.
  Are you familiar with Fakespot?  Simply go to the site, copy and paste the link to any Amazon product, and it will analyze and identify fake reviews. 
Fakespot

Love Fakespot! The important thing to remember is that the grade they give is NOT for the item, but for the reviews. I use it before I purchase anything from Amazon, not just from third party vendors.

So, does that mean Prime drops back to $25 for free shipping? If not, maybe time to drop. I'm not in _that_ big of a hurry.

Fakespot is funny

I wish Amazon would make the reviews match up with the product listed
I find many reviews for a different product, than what I'm looking at in the listing

Still $49 for 2-day on business accounts.

Dilly101 said:   
  Are you familiar with Fakespot?  Simply go to the site, copy and paste the link to any Amazon product, and it will analyze and identify fake reviews. 
Fakespot 

My point is customers really have to work to investigate each purchase or chance getting took.. This is not at all reasonable to me.
People these days don't even realize how little respect these companies have for their customers.

skarydrunkguy said:   

seems like the solution here would be to stop buying from 3rd party sellers.

good thing I have a degree in rocket science!

At least half of the items sold on Amazon come from third parties these days. Amazon wants to increase their third party vendors because it is very ,very,profitable for them.
I would give you a degree is "Bottle Rocket " science though.  

Now if Amazon stops delaying shipment on packages for multiple days every single time I select "Free Shipping" I'll start buying from them again. Between the $49 shipping threshold and waiting 8-10 days for something that's delivered in half that time from any other seller, I've almost completely stopped buying from Amazon

nwrain said:   Now if Amazon stops delaying shipment on packages for multiple days every single time I select "Free Shipping" I'll start buying from them again. Between the $49 shipping threshold and waiting 8-10 days for something that's delivered in half that time from any other seller, I've almost completely stopped buying from Amazon
  That contributed to the fact the last order I made was from Newegg instead of Amazon.

LORENW said:   My Prime ran out yesterday, I decided not to renew after being with them 10 years.
I had student for 6 years, one free year, and 2 other years at a reduced rate
I don't use their streaming tv service anymore, so it makes no sense for me to pay the yearly fee
The $35 free ship will keep me ordering things, their customer service has been great for us

I let my Prime expire last year.  Everyone PMs, so it's just a matter of free shipping (which you pay for via the Prime subscription) vs store pickup.  I generally prefer store pickup so stuff does not sit in the weather while I am at work and returns are much easier.

Since opting out of Prime, I have purchased almost nothing from Amazon.  Their loss.

You are so right.  If an item shows in stock, it should ship immediately.  5-days to ship is unacceptable. Throttling is obviously a tactic to sell more prime memberships.

Wow good news , thanks OP. I actually don't mind waiting if at the end I get a good deal. 
Since Amazon increased shipping charges I have been buying more on eBay , at times eBay coupons make them more desirable than Amazon...

Even though I have Prime I still sometimes choose "no rush shipping" because the $1 digital credit applies to downloads of video games.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017