Amazon refund = GC - NOT CC refund

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I seldom have a cause to ask for a Amazon refund.  My purchase was via a third party DVD supplier.  The problem was the DVD supplied was a zone 0 code which my DVD player could not handle.  I ended up buying a DVD padded envelope to be comfortable the return would be safely returned.  I do NOT have a problem about that as that was my choice.
However the Amazon refund was in the form of a Amazon GC and not refunded to the credit card that was used to pay for the item.  I called Amazon CS who informed me they have no way to correct the error.  I am stuck with an Amazon GC.  I have no idea when I might use it without a manufactured purchase.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why not file a dispute with your credit card company?

Also, which credit card was it? How much did the item cost? Did you have to pay for return shipping? 

I seriously doubt that Ama zon is unable to remove their own GC and find a way to credit your card back. I would have demanded to speak with a manager, and the manager's supervisor if that didn't work. At this point they should refund your credit card AND let you keep the GC due to the inconvenience they caused. If/when they send you an emailed customer service feedback survey, give very negative feedback which often results in their resolution/customer care department calling you to fix things. 

I also wouldn't  be suprised if the "credit" is actually a courtesy that can only be used on items sold & shipped by Ama zon. Does the credit appear on your GC balance page or only in your cart IF it has items ship/sold by Ama zon. If the latter, that's even more cause for filing a dispute/charge back with your credit card company.

I'd make a good faith effort to speak to an Ama zon manager and to contact the seller directly (document all contact and what was said and offered/not offered). Also complete any emailed feedback survey. If you haven't been made whole after a week (less if all attempts reslts in them refusing to fix it), just file a dispute with your credit card.

Thank you for your moral support. The item with shipping was just under $10.00. I did escalate the phone call to a CS supervisor and got the same response. I suspect both the agent and supervisor were overseas. CC was DiscoverCard before Christmas. More than 60 days have passed. I would rather keep my powder dry with Discover for a more serious event if such should happen.
Seller provided a postpaid return label. I was not comfortable returning in original envelope. That is on me, so I chose to purchase a padded envelope. I made that choice.
That amount of money is only worth so much effort. I have made that amount of effort. I am likely to take your suggestion to negative feedback.

FWIW, I find that if I call during business hours (their local time) I usually get American CSRs and if I escalate to a manager I'm usually offered  (unprompted) an account credit or free month of prime for the inconvenience if that hadn't been offered already. I know you're not interested in pursuing this further, but I'm as also curious why the 3rd party seller did not refund to the original form of payment and would have asked them that directly. I'm also curious as to what the seller's return policy states (it would be unheard of, for me, if they stipulated refunds in the form of Ama zon GCs/account credit). But, I understand you feeling "over it."

Anyway, can you at least confirm if they issued an account credit or real GC?

Ask to speak to a US representative. Only they can make exceptions. You should have been offered a refund to the original method of payment OR an Amazon Gift Card.

It reads as a normal GC on my account.

After 30 days? Was it some kind of 'adjustment' by Amazon to give you a refund after 30 days? That might explain the GC.

I was pleasantly surprised that the normal refund process was still functional given my being so slow to open and try to use the DVD. To be clear, it was processed normally.

When requesting the return, did you get an option to choose between gift card and original purchase method?

The option was not asked nor the option offered.

Amazon reps do whatever they want - and once a refund is finalized, the only way to "undo" it is to authorize them to "re-charge" you.

I am a member of Amazon Preview and get surveys now and again on Amazon Video ideas, etc. I didn't get a gift card I was supposed to get for completing a survey and after a few days, someone from Customer Service replied and they refunded $5 from an order on my account that was over a year old to a $5 gift card (Essentially making it look like I asked for a refund). I got a "your refund has been processed" email and everything and when I complained, they told me they didn't do it and to ignore it. I forwarded the email and they stopped replying.

Prior to that, I had an issue with my Amazon Prime shipments - instead of giving me a free month, they randomly went into my account and picked an order and refunded the cost of a month of Prime from the order (mind you, this was someone's Christmas gift and if they wanted to return it, I wanted them to get full value - not value minus the $10.99 + tax). I told them to cancel it, that I never authorized the refund on any my orders and they told me, "Oh, too late, it already processed - no way to undo it."

The best part is that the reason for each of the refunds was listed as "Customer Concession" or something along those lines - making it look like I was complaining and demanding refunds when I did not.

They did the same thing in 2015, too, and refunded someone's Christmas gift and when I asked what do I do if they want to return it for a gift card, I was told, "we can figure it out then" (luckily the merchandise was ok and they liked the gift).

I talked to US reps who didn't even know how to file a complaint about the overseas reps just picking orders and refunding money off of them without authorization or consent.  I freaked out and told them I don't want my account looking like I've been asking for refunds - when I have not - and then being blacklisted because of it when everything they did was unauthorized.

Sorry, end of rant ... just know what it's like when the reps do whatever they want.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017