• filter:

My Staples Rebate card was drained at out-of-state stores

  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Yesterday I ordered a meal at Mcdonald's kiosk; the remaining balance was used up out of state today. I am not sure whether people hack into Mcdonald's kiosk or people steal rebate card info from rebate center. 
Can someone clone my rebate card in less than 12 hr?

2/25/20172:20 PM 7-ELEVEN 12000000000 ($5.35) $0.00 ($5.35) $0.00
2/25/201711:38 AM 7-ELEVEN 24629 12000000000 ($0.35) $0.00 ($0.35) $5.35
2/25/201712:01 AM THE Vitamin Shoppe #381 12000000000 ($1.00) $0.00 ($1.00) $5.70


Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Seems like this method is the solution to the stolen rebate card issue.

Stolat (May. 07, 2017 @ 10:07a) |

Anybody have an update to the stolen rebate card issue? Are you converting the Visa card to bank checks?

Stolat (Jun. 01, 2017 @ 8:03a) |

Just received this email titled "Your New Staples Rebate Card":

I am expecting $20 Rebate card for doing the Visa GC deal... (more)

marcopolomle (Jun. 05, 2017 @ 2:57p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It's very easy to clone cards. takes only a few minutes and simple equipment.

Hard to trace these pre-paid crimes to their source, since there are many potential culprits.

Don't expect much help from police, since your loss is minor. But, if you want to pursue this, contact L.A. County Sheriff's Lakewood station for the 7-11 crimes. It's possible (but unlikely) that a detective might look at the store's surveillance footage. If the criminal were on probation/parole, cops could do a warrant-less search of his residence, possibly turning up something amounting to a felony. Again, don't hold your breath.

CA Sheriff 

Consider doing same with Mesa, AZ PD for Vitamin Shoppe crime.

Mesa PD 

rated:
I went to buy a MO at WM on 2/23 afternoon and my $135 Staples Rebate Card was declined.    I had not used it prior to this transaction.
I looked up the card balance via https://rebate.staples.com/staples/home.action and saw that there was a $5 charge on 2/20 and a $5 charge on 2/22, both at Stop & Shop in Madison, NJ (out of state).  

I went back into WM and drained the remaining $125 before someone drained it for me.  

rated:
One day they might get caught like this

rated:
There are threads on a competing website to this one that have discussed and traded software generated account numbers. Usually it's been the 2016 account numbers. When it comes to Staple*s cards, I convert them to Amazon credits the day I get them.

rated:
For higher denominations I call them and ask for a check instead the day I receive it.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   For higher denominations I call them and ask for a check instead the day I receive it.
  I did not know you can do that. Is there a fee for doing that?

rated:
unnamedone said:   
marcopolomle said:   For higher denominations I call them and ask for a check instead the day I receive it.
  I did not know you can do that. Is there a fee for doing that?

No fee.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   unnamedone said:   marcopolomle said:   For higher denominations I call them and ask for a check instead the day I receive it.I did not know you can do that. Is there a fee for doing that?No fee.There is a "Cancellation and Manual Check Issuance Fee" of $2.50 according to the T&C, but they've yet to apply it.

It just might be so because people don't know about it. I also only do it for higher denominations, just in case they decide to charge that fee.

rated:
You can call the card issuer and do a fraud dispute on these charges. You're not responsible for fraud charges per consumer protection laws. That said, these card issuers sometimes have very annoying claim process.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   For higher denominations I call them and ask for a check instead the day I receive it.
  Can you do that for any rebate card (Norton, AVG, Mcafee, etc) or just Staples?

rated:
matrix5k said:   
marcopolomle said:   For higher denominations I call them and ask for a check instead the day I receive it.
  Can you do that for any rebate card (Norton, AVG, Mcafee, etc) or just Staples

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe it depends on the rebate processor and not on the retailer but most do according to some less known rule/regulation.
So, it doesn't hurt to try.

rated:
I always liquidate these cards immediately prepaying cable/gym bills.

rated:
Does Amazon or pre-paying bills online result in an extra $1 hold beforehand which might cause a decline?

rated:
marcopolomle said:   For higher denominations I call them and ask for a check instead the day I receive it.  
I used to do this for all my Straples rebate cards but not only does it require chatting but it also takes more than a week to receive the check.
I found it faster to buy M.O. at WM.

If you log into the acct and change the PIN does that keep the funds safe?

rated:
The thief doesn't need the PIN to drain the cards, so no, changing the PIN won't do anything.

rated:
Athenakt said:   Does Amazo-n or pre-paying bills online result in an extra $1 hold beforehand which might cause a decline?
  For Amazo-n you set it up as a payment option, purchase a digital card having it emailed to yourself. Then take the digital card and apply it to your account. Thus the "$1 test" is not a issue.

rated:
Since these dollar amounts are so small, one may want to call Staple*s OOTP and they may issue a store convenience coupon for the amount to be used in their stores. If you show no history of calling them numerous times for the same issue, there is probably a strong possibility that they'll do it.

rated:
AniGrumpy said:   
Athenakt said:   Does Amazo-n or pre-paying bills online result in an extra $1 hold beforehand which might cause a decline?
  For Amazo-n you set it up as a payment option, purchase a digital card having it emailed to yourself. Then take the digital card and apply it to your account. Thus the "$1 test" is not a issue.

  

Cable and gym have never been an issue for me, and you can set up the payment to the exact penny with no $1 hold issues.

rated:
AniGrumpy said:   Athenakt said:   Does Amazo-n or pre-paying bills online result in an extra $1 hold beforehand which might cause a decline?For Amazo-n you set it up as a payment option, purchase a digital card having it emailed to yourself. Then take the digital card and apply it to your account. Thus the "$1 test" is not a issue.You can just reload your GC balance -- no need to email yourself a GC.

rated:
AniGrumpy said:   Since these dollar amounts are so small, one may want to call Staple*s OOTP and they may issue a store convenience coupon for the amount to be used in their stores. If you show no history of calling them numerous times for the same issue, there is probably a strong possibility that they'll do it.Even if such a thing was possible, you'd be wasting your own and their time for such a silly issue. But more importantly, why would you trade a generic use-anywhere Visa card for a Staples-only "convenience coupon"? Worst advice ever.

rated:
Krazen1211 said:   
AniGrumpy said:   
Athenakt said:   Does Amazo-n or pre-paying bills online result in an extra $1 hold beforehand which might cause a decline?
  For Amazo-n you set it up as a payment option, purchase a digital card having it emailed to yourself. Then take the digital card and apply it to your account. Thus the "$1 test" is not a issue.

  

Cable and gym have never been an issue for me, and you can set up the payment to the exact penny with no $1 hold issues.

  FYI: In some systems if there is no record of your Name or CC# being used in the past, the system will do a $1 test charge to see if the CC# is valid. It's a pending charge and not an actual charge.

rated:
scripta said:   
AniGrumpy said:   Since these dollar amounts are so small, one may want to call Staple*s OOTP and they may issue a store convenience coupon for the amount to be used in their stores. If you show no history of calling them numerous times for the same issue, there is probably a strong possibility that they'll do it.
Even if such a thing was possible, you'd be wasting your own and their time for such a silly issue. But more importantly, why would you trade a generic use-anywhere Visa card for a Staples -only "convenience coupon"? Worst advice ever.

  Not the whole card! Just the amount that was stolen. The entire phone call takes under 10 minutes. The OP would probably get a $10 convenience coupon. 

rated:
novocane said:   You can call the card issuer and do a fraud dispute on these charges. You're not responsible for fraud charges per consumer protection laws. That said, these card issuers sometimes have very annoying claim process.
  Yes indeed. Like for the Staples rebate card where you have a form you have to have notarized. Then pay to have the letter certified so they can't claim they never got it. $3.84 to send certified. I've had 2 rebate cards with transactions I've never made. 

BTW, they've been draining them before you even get them in some cases.

rated:
One of my Staples cards just got hit for the first time, they completely drained a $100+ card. All in person transactions in CA. I've had this happen to my MC prepaid cards before but this is first for a Staples rebate card and I do quite a few of them. I stopped buying the MC cards because it was such a PITA to try to recover.

They are guessing the CC numbers then doing a tiny transaction somewhere online that allows them to test it and then creating a cloned card to use them up at B&M stores.

Staples either needs to go back to issuing checks or come up with a single card with a chip that could be issued to a person and then loaded for every rebate.

rated:
ChrisV said:   One of my Staples cards just got hit for the first time, they completely drained a $100+ card. All in person transactions in CA. I've had this happen to my MC prepaid cards before but this is first for a Staples rebate card and I do quite a few of them. I stopped buying the MC cards because it was such a PITA to try to recover.

They are guessing the CC numbers then doing a tiny transaction somewhere online that allows them to test it and then creating a cloned card to use them up at B&M stores.

Staples either needs to go back to issuing checks or come up with a single card with a chip that could be issued to a person and then loaded for every rebate.
You didn't say whether you used your card before someone drained it.

rated:
scripta said:   
ChrisV said:   One of my Staples cards just got hit for the first time, they completely drained a $100+ card. All in person transactions in CA. I've had this happen to my MC prepaid cards before but this is first for a Staples rebate card and I do quite a few of them. I stopped buying the MC cards because it was such a PITA to try to recover.

They are guessing the CC numbers then doing a tiny transaction somewhere online that allows them to test it and then creating a cloned card to use them up at B&M stores.

Staples either needs to go back to issuing checks or come up with a single card with a chip that could be issued to a person and then loaded for every rebate.

You didn't say whether you used your card before someone drained it.

  That really doesn't come into play. They've been draining cards in some cases before you even get them. I've had it happen where I have and have not used them.

rated:
It does come into play as it's a huge distinction. If a card had been used, it could have been cloned and is not a valid data point. If it hadn't been used, then the card was either guessed or their internal systems are compromised in some other way, which is what I think this thread should really be about -- Staples rebate cards being drained without the possibility of cloning or leak from another merchant.

rated:
fwiw, this just happened to me. I used my card at Newegg on 3/2/17, then tried to use my card today to pay my cable bill. I had to check online to find out that someone used the card number in california(?) and washington on 3/4...sigh. Is there a way to fax and have it work? Please let me know. Thanks.

rated:
VivYip said:   fwiw, this just happened to me. I used my card at Newegg on 3/2/17, then tried to use my card today to pay my cable bill. I had to check online to find out that someone used the card number in california(?) and washington on 3/4...sigh. Is there a way to fax and have it work? Please let me know. Thanks.
  
Fax and have what work? You mean fax in the notarized form? Don't know. Call them. Fax would definitely be cheaper than certified mail. Their form says USPS.
You also might want to call Staples Office of the President. That might get you compensated rather than deal with the rebate people. The more people call SOOP the sooner they may fix this.

rated:
mathfaster said:   
VivYip said:   fwiw, this just happened to me. I used my card at Newegg on 3/2/17, then tried to use my card today to pay my cable bill. I had to check online to find out that someone used the card number in california(?) and washington on 3/4...sigh. Is there a way to fax and have it work? Please let me know. Thanks.
  
You also might want to call Staples Office of the President. That might get you compensated rather than deal with the rebate people. The more people call SOOP the sooner they may fix this.

I agree.
I think we have to do something about it since it is now completely out of control and Staple s Corp need to know so that they can fix it ASAP.

rated:
Checked balance on a card and it had been hit for $20 of the $72 card about 6 hrs ago.
Immediately used the balance on the card to prepay utility bill.  Hoping I beat them to draining the card.


 

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   Checked balance on a card and it had been hit for $20 of the $72 card about 6 hrs ago.
Immediately used the balance on the card to prepay utility bill.  Hoping I beat them to draining the card.


 

Staples Office of the President: 1-800-338-0252

rated:
I think the "leak" is at Staple s Rebate center.
Either their system got hacked or someone there is selling the numbers.
Either way, Staple s Corp need to know.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   I think the "leak" is at Staple s Rebate center.
Either their system got hacked or someone there is selling the numbers.
Either way, Staple s Corp need to know.

  AFAIK there's no leak. The evidence strongly suggests they are using brute force programming, since there is nothing to prevent them from doing so like a captcha, via the site where you check the balance on your card. Similar to the way they hack MasterCard numbers as they are issued in sequential batches.

https://www.binredirect.com/generic/

rated:
mathfaster said:   
marcopolomle said:   I think the "leak" is at Staple s Rebate center.
Either their system got hacked or someone there is selling the numbers.
Either way, Staple s Corp need to know.

  AFAIK there's no leak. The evidence strongly suggests they are using brute force programming, since there is nothing to prevent them from doing so like a captcha, via the site where you check the balance on your card. Similar to the way they hack MasterCard numbers as they are issued in sequential batches.

https://www.binredirect.com/generic/

But why only Staplez rebate cards are affected (at this point)?  Norton and BBB (and probably others) have the same 1st 6 or 8 digits, so why would they not also be drained?  

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
mathfaster said:   
marcopolomle said:   I think the "leak" is at Staple s Rebate center.
Either their system got hacked or someone there is selling the numbers.
Either way, Staple s Corp need to know.

  AFAIK there's no leak. The evidence strongly suggests they are using brute force programming, since there is nothing to prevent them from doing so like a captcha, via the site where you check the balance on your card. Similar to the way they hack MasterCard numbers as they are issued in sequential batches.

https://www.binredirect.com/generic/

But why only Staplez rebate cards are affected (at this point)?  Norton and BBB (and probably others) have the same 1st 6 or 8 digits, so why would they not also be drained?  

  Don't know as I don't do the others. BBB and Norton have the same first 6 or 8 as Staples? Do they have the same volume? Lack of anything to prevent brute force programming via balance checks? Good question though. I just advise we all contact SOOP and complain and if anyone has a better avenue to bring this to their attention that would be welcome. Getting hacked before getting the rebate is enough to make me stop doing rebates for the minute. I've had 2 cards already hacked.

rated:
mathfaster said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
mathfaster said:   
marcopolomle said:   I think the "leak" is at Staple s Rebate center.
Either their system got hacked or someone there is selling the numbers.
Either way, Staple s Corp need to know.

  AFAIK there's no leak. The evidence strongly suggests they are using brute force programming, since there is nothing to prevent them from doing so like a captcha, via the site where you check the balance on your card. Similar to the way they hack MasterCard numbers as they are issued in sequential batches.

https://www.binredirect.com/generic/

But why only Staplez rebate cards are affected (at this point)?  Norton and BBB (and probably others) have the same 1st 6 or 8 digits, so why would they not also be drained?  

  Don't know as I don't do the others. BBB and Norton have the same first 6 or 8 as Staples? Do they have the same volume? Lack of anything to prevent brute force programming via balance checks? Good question though. I just advise we all contact SOOP and complain and if anyone has a better avenue to bring this to their attention that would be welcome. Getting hacked before getting the rebate is enough to make me stop doing rebates for the minute. I've had 2 cards already hacked.

Maybe send them a link to this thread?

rated:
mathfaster said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   mathfaster said:   AFAIK there's no leak. The evidence strongly suggests they are using brute force programming, since there is nothing to prevent them from doing so like a captcha, via the site where you check the balance on your card. Similar to the way they hack MasterCard numbers as they are issued in sequential batches.

https://www.binredirect.com/generic/
But why only Staplez rebate cards are affected (at this point)?  Norton and BBB (and probably others) have the same 1st 6 or 8 digits, so why would they not also be drained?  
Don't know as I don't do the others. BBB and Norton have the same first 6 or 8 as Staples? Do they have the same volume? Lack of anything to prevent brute force programming via balance checks? Good question though. I just advise we all contact SOOP and complain and if anyone has a better avenue to bring this to their attention that would be welcome. Getting hacked before getting the rebate is enough to make me stop doing rebates for the minute. I've had 2 cards already hacked.
The same balance checker works for all the cards with same first 6 digits.
  

Skipping 46 Messages...
rated:
Just received this email titled "Your New Staples Rebate Card":
SER said: Your new Staples Rebate Card is coming soon.
Marco,
Your Staples Rebate Card, with Tracking Number * 75709xxxx*, is being reissued due to potential unauthorized transactions. You should receive your replacement card in 7-10 days. It will come in a white envelope with the Staples logo. The new card will arrive ready to use. The balance will reflect the current remaining balance on your card, taking into account any previous purchases you made. As with your previous card, it expires six months from the new issue date, so please be sure to use it by then. Your original card is no longer active. If you have any questions about your replacement card, please contact us at 1-844-618-6946, 9 a.m. – 11 p.m. CT, Monday – Friday. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Sincerely, The Staples Easy Rebate Team

I am expecting $20 Rebate card for doing the Visa GC deal and 5 days ago I received the massage "Your rebate is in the mail! (Really.)" but I have yet to receive the card and the tracking numbers don't match.
So, I checked rebatesHQ with the above tracking number and It shows a rebate submitted date 11/1x/16.
Not really sure what is going on here as I did receive the card and drained it completely?

 

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017