HHGregg Said to Prepare for Bankruptcy!

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The HHGregg nearest me is across the street from a Best Buy and PC Richards. They've got strong competition and no mindshare IMO. I haven't been in one in ten years (same with PCR). Just looked at their online ad - nothing compelling. They sell furniture?

I could never find anyone that was willing to help you at the one near me and the stores were always primarily empty.  Personally I am surprised it has taken this long.

The last time I went to one (roughly eight years ago), the only thing that I remember was a really slow and complex checkout, in which the cashier had to input a SKU number manually (I'm guessing there were no barcode scanners?) needed every piece of my contact information, the cashier had to print several pages of invoices (and retrieve them from a printer in the back of the store), and I had to sign a bunch of things. I was buying a Blu-ray player, and I wasn't even getting any extended warranties or anything. I was the only one in the store and the entire transaction took about 10 minutes. It was such a bizarrre experience. A similar experience at Best Buy would involve one scan, a credit card swipe, and a receipt. No more than a few seconds if you're the only one in there. 

Article stated that they were a " 61-year-old seller " yet they came into my market area only a few short years ago and I thought they were a unknown. Never been in one yet they are probably 3 in a half hours drive in different directions where I live. I guess I need to go in and take a look around one. I absolutely HATE BestBuy and wished it was them that was going under. Too much hard sell on extras (That the salesperson keeps repeating over and over again that he does not get a commission on extras they are pushing.)

EastGate
Disclaimer
Buckmann said:   The HHGregg nearest me is across the street from a Best Buy and PC Richards. 

Buckmann, you mean like this?

Being next to other stores may not necessary be bad, they are across BestBuy in Fort Lauderdale too.
Same thing with furniture stores, 10 of them on a mile stretch on federal hwy.

I guess shoppers go to the area and maybe decide to drop in after they get to the competitor.

Treefarn said:   
Buckmann said:   The HHGregg nearest me is across the street from a Best Buy and PC Richards. 

Looks like Moorestown, NJ Eastgate Shopping Center, behind the Moorestown Mall

BTW, you should shop more at P.C. Richards! They have been in business more than 100 years (started in L.I., NY) and are one of the most ethical and honest retailers in the COUNTRY. AND they are still family owned. I'd buy my appliances or new TV there first before ever going to Sears (which is dying a slow death) or God forbid- Worst Buy. ( I sold them all back in the day and know what makes each of them "tick")

Sad.

panaguy said:   
Treefarn said:   

BTW, you should shop more at P.C. Richards! They have been in business more than 100 years (started in L.I., NY) and are one of the most ethical and honest retailers in the COUNTRY. AND they are still family owned. I'd buy my appliances or new TV there first before ever going to Sears (which is dying a slow death) or God forbid- Worst Buy. ( I sold them all back in the day and know what makes each of them "tick")

It is indeed!  Should be interesting to watch what happens to East Gate as the mall slowly dies.  Macy's is closing that store, and I can't imagine the Sears will live that long either.

Let's see...JC Penny....closes 144 Stores....Greg is going BK......I guess this is the prosperity that Trump promised.

panaguy said:   
Treefarn said:   

BTW, you should shop more at P.C. Richards! They have been in business more than 100 years (started in L.I., NY) and are one of the most ethical and honest retailers in the COUNTRY. AND they are still family owned. I'd buy my appliances or new TV there first before ever going to Sears (which is dying a slow death) or God forbid- Worst Buy. ( I sold them all back in the day and know what makes each of them "tick")

When P.C.Richards had a Black Friday Ad, in 2016 which said they sell at the lowest prices, they lied! HHGregg was lower by $100! I guess that's why P.C.Richards is still in Business!  

Marvinomatic said:   
panaguy said:   
Treefarn said:   

When P.C.Richards had a Black Friday Ad, in 2016 which said they sell at the lowest prices, they lied! HHGregg was lower by $100! I guess that's why P.C.Richards is still in Business!  

Trust me, PC Richards would have gladly matched HH Greggs price if you gave them the chance. However you should note that HH Gregg was already in their "death throes" by last Black Friday 2016 and they were desperate for everyone's and anyone's business Last Christmas was "do or die" for them ...and now we know the outcome.

belgique said:   Let's see...JC Penny....closes 144 Stores....Greg is going BK......I guess this is the prosperity that Trump promised.

It has nothing to do with Trump's failure to deliver on his promise of prosperity. It's a long time coming for JC Penney as well as Sears both which were old 100+ year old catalog retailers who were the precursors to online shopping and whose time is long gone. Their "refreshed" version of a modern retail department store has failed to attract shoppers. Even Macy's the epitome of the American retail department store is suffering closing stores as well.

In general "brick and mortar" retailers all face stiff competition from the likes of Amazon and other online  "e-trailers". 

Online shopping is where it's at today, without the expensive overhead of retail storefronts of the aforementioned retailers in jeopardy.

panaguy said:   
Treefarn said:   

P.C. Richard's is great, but I'm biased. My uncle worked at and eventually managed several stores in North Jersey for a huge chunk of his retail career. I wouldn't be surprised if you've bought a few things from him. If it wasn't concentrated in the Tri-State area though, PC would probably already have gone under. I swear people from that part of the country are the only people willing to deal with electronics and appliance salesmen anymore!

Here's the list of stores that are closing

Link

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017