• filter:

Point of Interest - NewEgg rebates

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Just found out some interesting data about how Newegg processes rebates that some of you may be interested in.
I usually don't have any issues with NE rebates - but this is a pretty stupid thing they do, so wanted to share it.

I submitted about 20 rebates over the Nov/Dec 16 time frame, and the checks have just started rolling in.
I was missing 3 checks, so I went online to the rebate center and looked up my account and for those 3 it showed that they had received my registration (online), but they hadn't received my paperwork yet.

So, I called them as I thought I would need to resubmit, but I was told that all 3 of those rebates were good but it was still about 2 weeks until I would receive them.

I was skeptical of this because I had some rebates that were submitted later (and had later delivery dates) that I had already received.  The agent couldn't answer me about these, only said that they couldn't really do anything because the dates had not come up yet.

They provided me tracking numbers for each of these 3 rebates and all the tracking #'s showed a good status - that my paperwork was received and that the rebates were processing.
HOWEVER - these 3 rebate tracking #s did not match up with the tracking #s shown for them on my account - so I asked them to explain why this is, since I have no record in my emails of the tracking #s they provided.

I was told that when you pre-register online (which I expect most people do - for a paper trail) that it is possible for two people to get the same tracking # if they register simultaneously online.
When this "collision" occurs, they throw out the conflicting tracking # and assign both parties a new one.

They don't appear however to update that information in your account - it is only seen on the back end in their systems.

It would seem to me as well that rebates that are re-assigned like this might take longer to process - as evidenced by me receiving all of my rebates except these 3.

Anyway - just thought this was interesting (and someone stupid on the part of their processing system) for those of you who do NE rebates a lot and might experience this.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Newegg is not stupid. Complicated problems with their rebate system will ultimately mean they pay out fewer rebates.

The fact they even use "Rebates" is scummy.

Who in the heck is really going to go thru all the trouble to get this money they owe you.

You my friend are not the norm, you are the exception.

rated:
the seem to have changed there rebate company too, in last few months. There new rebates seem to be going to  4myrebate.com
They usually  offer a quick turn around for a fee, but that option for Newegg rebates is missing.

rated:
I stopped using their rebates a few years ago,,their system is a disaster bordering on fraud...

rated:
Yes, they need a good class action to stop the nonsense

rated:
Honestly I don't understand the constant continuing comments regarding problems with NE rebates.

I've been doing them for many years and they are almost seamless with how easy it is to redeem them.

Them loosing rebates I'd very atypical, I would say on average 5-10% of my rebates have some sort of processing error, but a call and an email resubmission is usually all it takes.

Part of the reason I posted this thread was to point out a weird issue in an otherwise good program.

Those of you who claim the Newegg rebates are problematic, what other company that people use for rebates so systematically do you think is better? Staples is the only other one I can think of that's as easy as NE (or easier since upc submission is normally not required).

rated:
Is Parago still around? Back when I did a lot of rebates, they would consistently reject a percentage for seemingly random reasons, even though I did them all the same way. I really wanted to start a consumer fraud class action.

rated:
BenH said:   Honestly I don't understand the constant continuing comments regarding problems with NE rebates.

I've been doing them for many years and they are almost seamless with how easy it is to redeem them.

Them loosing rebates I'd very atypical, I would say on average 5-10% of my rebates have some sort of processing error, but a call and an email resubmission is usually all it takes.

Part of the reason I posted this thread was to point out a weird issue in an otherwise good program.

Those of you who claim the Newegg rebates are problematic, what other company that people use for rebates so systematically do you think is better? Staples is the only other one I can think of that's as easy as NE (or easier since upc submission is normally not required).

The thing is Rebates are basicly a trick. 
People end up buying a many times overpriced product with the promise of a discount later on, in the form of a rebate.
Off the bat many never even get around to even doing the rebate.
Then many don't follow many times silly instructions the correct way and their rebate does not get approved.
Then on top of that many of the clearing houses it seems make mistakes, (at least thats what they say) and many rebates don't get approved.
They send their non approval letters out, and by that time, people may not have kept the documents to verify their rebate was valid in the first place.
The excuses are endless. And the whole process is just plain disrespectful in my opinion.

If a company wants to offer a discount just make it simple and easy. Any thing other is just plain dishonest.

rated:
BrianGa said:   Is Parago still around? Blackhawk Engagement Solutions (formerly Parago, Inc.) [AKA rebateshq.com] processes Staplez rebates.

rated:
BrianGa said:   Is Parago still around? Back when I did a lot of rebates, they would consistently reject a percentage for seemingly random reasons, even though I did them all the same way. I really wanted to start a consumer fraud class action.
  Yes they are, but I try to avoid most of the software rebates that use Parago. A few years ago, they started rejecting lots of peoples' rebates, including a bunch of mine, for Trend Micro, AVG, Webroot, etc.  They are still OK for the department stores (Macy's, JC Penney, Kohl's) and for Zantac/Dulcolax and for Staples. But for most of the software manufacturers that use Parago, I try to completely avoid those.

rated:
BenH said:   Honestly I don't understand the constant continuing comments regarding problems with NE rebates.

Those of you who claim the Newegg rebates are problematic, what other company that people use for rebates so systematically do you think is better? Staples is the only other one I can think of that's as easy as NE (or easier since upc submission is normally not required).

I agree that Newegg rebates are quite good overall. As for the OP's information, they did reissue new tracking numbers for many of the rebates sent during the busiest time at the end of 2016 (Nov/Dec) because they claimed that there were many duplicates with people submitting them at exactly the same time. If you go to http://newegg.rebateaccess.com/status.php , you should be able to see all of your rebates with the correct tracking numbers, up until they switched to the new rebate processor.

rated:
roy7736 said:   
  I agree that Newegg rebates are quite good overall. As for the OP's information, they did reissue new tracking numbers for many of the rebates sent during the busiest time at the end of 2016 (Nov/Dec) because they claimed that there were many duplicates with people submitting them at exactly the same time. If you go to http://newegg.rebateaccess.com/status.php , you should be able to see all of your rebates with the correct tracking numbers, up until they switched to the new rebate processor.

Ah, so you are saying they switched to the new rebate processor at the end of last year?
When I look up my rebates using that link (which is what I used before), the 3 rebates in question show my original tracking # - not the tracking # they "newly generated" for me.
This is why I was saying it was kind of dumb, because:

a) A computerized system should never duplicate tracking #'s
b) If they are doing something on the back-end to generate new tracking #'s because of a duplicate, then they should update that list (from your link) on my account to show the correct #'s I am now assigned.

They did A and not B, that's why it was confusing and why I posted the OP as a point of interest.

It sounds like maybe "A" was one of the problems with their old system and maybe they won't have it with the new one?
And perhaps the reason "B" wasn't done was because of the switchover to the new system?

In any event, hopefully they have it under control now - as mentioned this is pretty atypical of the usual good rebate support NE provides.

rated:
kingdoodler said:   

I wouldn't call it a trick - I'd call it a marketing technique. Sometimes it is a way between retailer and manufacturer to liquidate inventory as well.
I'm 100% sure that they don't expect everyone to file the rebate (or file it improperly and not follow up).

On the 100 or so rebates I've filed over the past 4-5 years (with multiple companies - but many with NE), I have received every one.

You have to have your submissions together, and you have to track them, but if you do you end up getting prices better than any sale, sometimes for free, or even making money in the deal.

If that's a "trick" - then keep on tricking me!

rated:
kingdoodler said:   

People end up buying a many times overpriced product with the promise of a discount later on, in the form of a rebate.
Off the bat many never even get around to even doing the rebate.
Then many don't follow many times silly instructions the correct way and their rebate does not get approved.
Then on top of that many of the clearing houses it seems make mistakes, (at least thats what they say) and many rebates don't get approved.
They send their non approval letters out, and by that time, people may not have kept the documents to verify their rebate was valid in the first place.
The excuses are endless. And the whole process is just plain disrespectful in my opinion.

If a company wants to offer a discount just make it simple and easy. Any thing other is just plain dishonest.

I don't sympathize with people not submitting rebates because they're too lazy to do it. In some ways, I almost admire retailers for preying on that. It's brilliant. 

What I do sympathize with is people that lose on rebates because of silly reasons, like not following overly-complicated instructions, being penalized because of pedantic interpretations of instructions, or silly technicalities ("sorry, the address you gave us doesn't match the billing address!" -- I understand they want to cut down on multi-rebate abuse, but it just seems extreme). 

But mostly I agree -- it is generally a dishonest practice. It's kind of like auto-renewing subscriptions that can't be canceled, even if you contact customer support an hour after it renews. Some companies are good about refunding in cases like this, some obstinately refuse to do so, and they are clearly just exploiting customers. 

I guess it all balances out though, right? Many strategies we share on sites like FW bend the rules or exploit loopholes in systems. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017