Which carries has the best overseas cellphone use?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am in TMobile family plan. We have 6 people and I pay $23/month per cellphone.

So in the US it includes  unlimited text unlimited call and 2.5GB LTE data and then goes down to 3GB data unlimited
in 120 countries, unlimited WIFI CALL to any US number and unlimited LTE data and unlimited TEXT.

Here is the good part most people might miss. Say you are in Greece, you can whatsapp anyone in the world or you can WIFICALL any US NUMBER no matter where they are located. So you are in GREECE in vacation and you can WIFICALL your friend who is vacationing in Spain on his US based phone for free.

If I am in say Greece and I want to call someone in Greece, most young people have whatsapp anyway and since internet is free for me, I can call almost anyone via whatsapp or Skype.

I was wondering if there is any cheaper better alternatives out there? or maybe something I am missing. I have been using the above setup for 2-3 years now and never been charged for anything.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

FreedomPop Global Sim?

T-Mobile hands down. Free Data and text msgs in over 100 countries. Discounted call rates

Depending on which countries overseas, you should check Truphone. Its the sim I've been using the last 3 years and am very happy with it..

parvsach said:   T-Mobile hands down. Free Data and text msgs in over 100 countries. Discounted call rates
  I am very happy with Tmobile too. Maybe I am asking too much but it does not let you call to the phones in the country you are in.
Some people have whatsapp some don't. It would be nice to be able to call directly

T-Mobile is great, but it's not "unlimited LTE Data." Data is throttled to 2G speeds. Last summer, they did have a promotion where they removed the throttling for a while, but it is there. People may be confused about the real data speed they are getting, because their phones will always connect to the fastest mobile network the phone is allowed to register on. Just because your phone connects to an LTE network in Greece doesn't mean you are getting real LTE speeds.

I used T-Mobile last Spring overseas in several countries. It worked great. My phone connected to LTE networks in most countries. (Not all phones can - depends if your phone has the right frequencies to do so, because they are not the same frequencies as used in the US.) I did not notice any slow down of data to 2G...EXCEPT when I occasionally tried streaming a video. Then the phone slowed to a crawl for about five minutes. The throttling is real.

I use Google Hangouts to make and receive calls to/from the US for free while I travel. And I don't need to be on WiFi to make/receive calls; I can do it with mobile data (e.g. T-Mobile unlimited 2G data). That worked great for me last year, too. I didn't have to pay for a single call (20 cents/minute) to call the US or receive a call.

T-Mobile is too expensive for me to use in the US month to month, so I would only get it for a short time while I travel. (I'm not on a family plan - just me.) Their cheapest post-paid plan is now $70/month (was $50/month last year for Simple Choice when I switched for about a month during my trip). On my next trip, I'm planning to buy local SIM cards as I've done before - and still use Google Hangouts to make/receive free calls to/from the US. These SIM cards are ridiculously cheap in some countries - maybe only $3 or $4 USD for a SIM with 1GB of data. I'll look at FreedomPop too in case they have another sale on global SIM cards.

fleetwoodmac said:   
parvsach said:   T-Mobile hands down. Free Data and text msgs in over 100 countries. Discounted call rates
  I am very happy with Tmobile too. Maybe I am asking too much but it does not let you call to the phones in the country you are in.
Some people have whatsapp some don't. It would be nice to be able to call directly

T-Mobile lets you call phones in the country you are in for 20 cents per minute - I know I was able to do that a couple of years ago.  You may need to put a +(CountryCode) in front of the number first to call.

ahallfatwallett said:   T-Mobile is great, but it's not "unlimited LTE Data." Data is throttled to 2G speeds. Last summer, they did have a promotion where they removed the throttling for a while, but it is there. People may be confused about the real data speed they are getting, because their phones will always connect to the fastest mobile network the phone is allowed to register on. Just because your phone connects to an LTE network in Greece doesn't mean you are getting real LTE speeds.

I used T-Mobile last Spring overseas in several countries. It worked great. My phone connected to LTE networks in most countries. (Not all phones can - depends if your phone has the right frequencies to do so, because they are not the same frequencies as used in the US.) I did not notice any slow down of data to 2G...EXCEPT when I occasionally tried streaming a video. Then the phone slowed to a crawl for about five minutes. The throttling is real.

I use Google Hangouts to make and receive calls to/from the US for free while I travel. And I don't need to be on WiFi to make/receive calls; I can do it with mobile data (e.g. T-Mobile unlimited 2G data). That worked great for me last year, too. I didn't have to pay for a single call (20 cents/minute) to call the US or receive a call.

T-Mobile is too expensive for me to use in the US month to month, so I would only get it for a short time while I travel. (I'm not on a family plan - just me.) Their cheapest post-paid plan is now $70/month (was $50/month last year for Simple Choice when I switched for about a month during my trip). On my next trip, I'm planning to buy local SIM cards as I've done before - and still use Google Hangouts to make/receive free calls to/from the US. These SIM cards are ridiculously cheap in some countries - maybe only $3 or $4 USD for a SIM with 1GB of data. I'll look at FreedomPop too in case they have another sale on global SIM cards.

Well I checked truphone, but it is very limited in terms of coverage. 3-4 countries that's it.

FreedomPop has limited data service. So I pass that  too

When I was in Greece and Turkey last summer I was able to use internet all the time and speed was good. GPS worked fine and I could use whatsapp all day and this is all free and unlimited

I wish there was a plan where I can call the country I am in free also. Tmobile charges 20 cents/min. Maybe I am asking too much

Stick with what you have!  It's doubtful there are any cheaper plans out there with the FREE international roaming features (among many other features) that T-Mobile offers.

Like you said it works flawlessly and even though Verizon and especially AT&T has plans that offer LIMITED international roaming, both costs a bundle to use as you describe. For what it is worth I went with T-Mobile in 2014 when they first offered their new Simple Choice plans with FREE international roaming because my business travels took me to Mexico, Canada, Asia and Europe and like you I never had a problem and never paid a cent for roaming. The same cannot be said for Verizon, Sprint or AT&T who are still living in the 80's or 90's with daily roaming charges like mortgage payments.

BTW- I just switched from my original Simple Choice plan to the T-Mobile ONE unlimited plan. Not only do get UNLIMITED FREE data roaming and texting in over 140+ countries, the data speed has now been doubled to 256kbps in those countries (almost 3G although some countries you may actually get faster downloads), "North America" unlimited calling, texting and 4G LTE data included TO and FROM Canada and Mexico from U.S. or while in Canada or Mexico, 10 GB 4G LTE data/month for TETHERING tablets, laptops etc., free unlimited HD quality video/audio streaming, unlimited texting on domestic airlines equipped with GoGo WiFi plus 1 hour data on the flight. Lastly under the new T-Mobile ONE Plan you can sign up for "Kickback" to get BACK $10, PER LINE, for each month that line doesn't go over 2GB of data.

It's probably a little more expensive per line than the $23/line you currently pay but ALL taxes and fees are included for one flat rate, not extra, like mostly every cell plan available today and with LOTS of new features included you probably don't have and you could possibly use.

Definitely worth a look for you (or for any T-Mobile customer really on an older plan):

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans?icid=WMM_TM_Q117TMO1PL...

panaguy said:   Stick with what you have!  It's doubtful there are any cheaper plans out there with the FREE international roaming features (among many other features) that T-Mobile offers.

Like you said it works flawlessly and even though Verizon and especially AT&T has plans that offer LIMITED international roaming, both costs a bundle to use as you describe. For what it is worth I went with T-Mobile in 2014 when they first offered their new Simple Choice plans with FREE international roaming because my business travels took me to Mexico, Canada, Asia and Europe and like you I never had a problem and never paid a cent for roaming. The same cannot be said for Verizon, Sprint or AT&T who are still living in the 80's or 90's with daily roaming charges like mortgage payments.

BTW- I just switched from my original Simple Choice plan to the T-Mobile ONE unlimited plan. Not only do get UNLIMITED FREE data roaming and texting in over 140+ countries, the data speed has now been doubled to 256kbps in those countries (almost 3G although some countries you may actually get faster downloads), "North America" unlimited calling, texting and 4G LTE data included TO and FROM Canada and Mexico from U.S. or while in Canada or Mexico, 10 GB 4G LTE data/month for TETHERING tablets, laptops etc., free unlimited HD quality video/audio streaming, unlimited texting on domestic airlines equipped with GoGo WiFi plus 1 hour data on the flight. Lastly under the new T-Mobile ONE Plan you can sign up for "Kickback" to get BACK $10, PER LINE, for each month that line doesn't go over 2GB of data.

It's probably a little more expensive per line than the $23/line you currently pay but ALL taxes and fees are included for one flat rate, not extra, like mostly every cell plan available today and with LOTS of new features included you probably don't have and you could possibly use.

Definitely worth a look for you (or for any T-Mobile customer really on an older plan):

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans?icid=WMM_TM_Q117TMO1PL_H85BRNKTDO37510

Thanks

I just checked Tmobile website. So currently I pay 23 per month with 6 people and it says if we pay extra $5/month/line, we can get the followingHaving faster internet overseas will definitely help

~~Add T-Mobile ONE Plus for only $5/line/mo
Unlimited HD video streaming (US only)
Go abroad with 2x the data speed
Unlimited mobile hotspot with up to 10GB of high speed data+ Unlimited in-flight Wi-Fi on Gogo®-enabled flights
+ Visual Voicemail
+ Name ID

I guess I'm going in the opposite direction from many of you with my phone use. I just switched to Tello, a prepaid service on the Sprint network. (After using a phone on the T-Mobile network, with T-Mobile or an MNVO, for years.) I just don't use my phone that much, Sprint has decent LTE coverage where I live, and I can make many calls at home with Google Hangouts on WiFi. I'm guessing my phone will cost me all of about $15/month on average. The only advantage of switching back to T-Mobile for me for an extra $55/month would be the free international roaming. It might be worth signing up for T-Mobile again before my next trip then canceling as soon as I get home, but not year round. But I might just buy local SIM cards again, too.

Best International coverage = Google Project Fi by far - Full speed LTE in 135 countries with one flat rate - $10/GB. Certainly not as cheap for heavy data users as T-Mobile's plan but full speed data is great when traveling. The challenges with Project Fi are two fold - one it's not unlimited (base is $20 month for unlimited calls/texting and then $10/GB) and it requires using a Google phone - a Nexus 5X, 6P or Pixel. But if you can live with these it's great for International travel. I travelled to South America last year and had full LTE nearly everywhere I went.

Yeah, not having a Google phone means Project Fi is just not an option for me at all. I am not going to buy one soon. Maybe in a few years more phones will be able to handle multiple type of networks like the Google phones do, and then I'll get one of those.

Really wish google fi made sense, but with taxes, it's not worth it! Also stuck with googles phones just makes it even worse.

I pay a straight $40 for unlimited talk/text, 10gb data with rollover, tether, and bingeon. Can't beat that ever! Although sometimes you have to get a local sim, as last year I had to go local while in Cuba.

I am on TMobile too.

We are trying to form a group of 13+ people, where in we can get $25 all inclusive (taxes included) the TMO One plan.
That is way better than the $23 you pay right now.
Plus with TMO One, you can sign up for Kickback promotion, so if you use <2GB data a month, you can get $10 per line back. If that is true, it would work out to be $15/line.
Regardless, very happy with $25/mo when we sign up.

https://business.t-mobile.com/resources/business-plan-for-13-or-more-lines?icid=WMM_TM_WRKPLNS13_RK0V5W9WOFV7829

fleetwoodmac said:   
Maybe I am asking too much

Yes you are.
First world problem.
There are plenty of Apps which work quite well as you mentioned and others like Viber

DealsBrokeMe said:   I am on TMobile too.

We are trying to form a group of 13+ people, where in we can get $25 all inclusive (taxes included) the TMO One plan.
That is way better than the $23 you pay right now.
Plus with TMO One, you can sign up for Kickback promotion, so if you use <2GB data a month, you can get $10 per line back. If that is true, it would work out to be $15/line.
Regardless, very happy with $25/mo when we sign up.

https://business.t-mobile.com/resources/business-plan-for-13-or-more-lines?icid=WMM_TM_WRKPLNS13_RK0V5W9WOFV7829

I think you meant to say $25/month/person right?

It can not be $25/month for 13 people  

fatwallet9692 said:   Best International coverage = Google Project Fi by far - Full speed LTE in 135 countries with one flat rate - $10/GB. Certainly not as cheap for heavy data users as T-Mobile 's plan but full speed data is great when traveling. The challenges with Project Fi are two fold - one it's not unlimited (base is $20 month for unlimited calls/texting and then $10/GB) and it requires using a Google phone - a Nexus 5X, 6P or Pixel. But if you can live with these it's great for International travel. I travelled to South America last year and had full LTE nearly everywhere I went.
  okay so let's compare

T mobile coverage in 120 countries unlimited call, text and data (2.5GB LTE then goes down to 3G unlimited) in US and globally. I am paying 23/month with 6 people but it depends on how many people you have in the group

Google FI, I think it is $20/month, unlimited call and text but data is limited to 10GB LTE. I think it has WIFI CALL also and you can call us numbers like in Tmobile.

Can anyone confirm? Did I miss something?

fleetwoodmac said:   
fatwallet9692 said:   Best International coverage = Google Project Fi by far - Full speed LTE in 135 countries with one flat rate - $10/GB. Certainly not as cheap for heavy data users as T-Mobile 's plan but full speed data is great when traveling. The challenges with Project Fi are two fold - one it's not unlimited (base is $20 month for unlimited calls/texting and then $10/GB) and it requires using a Google phone - a Nexus 5X, 6P or Pixel. But if you can live with these it's great for International travel. I travelled to South America last year and had full LTE nearly everywhere I went.
  okay so let's compare

T mobile coverage in 120 countries unlimited call, text and data (2.5GB LTE then goes down to 3G unlimited) in US and globally. I am paying 23/month with 6 people but it depends on how many people you have in the group

Google FI, I think it is $20/month, unlimited call and text but data is limited to 10GB LTE. I think it has WIFI CALL also and you can call us numbers like in Tmobile.

Google FI you pay $10 per GB.

wiredspider said:   
fleetwoodmac said:   
  okay so let's compare

Google FI you pay $10 per GB.

You are right. $10/GB

Well I will stick with Tmobile for now. Best buck for the bang

RingPlus

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017