• filter:

Staples to close 70 Store Locations

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
And Home Depot carrying it also makes anymore sense?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BARSKA-Loaded-Gear-26-in-VX-300-Tacti...

AniGrumpy (Mar. 11, 2017 @ 10:45p) |

Nope.

Glacierwolf (Mar. 12, 2017 @ 6:42p) |

They chose to replace technology items with more paper products, bulk candy and odd business products like nursing assis... (more)

lowpricewanted (Mar. 14, 2017 @ 6:33p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
What goes up must come down...

rated:
40 after rebate.

rated:
Only valid on regular (priced) stores.

rated:
Maybe they should reapply to merge with OD/OM with the new administration.

rated:
Wonder if closing most of the stacking coupons and other deals had a small bit to do in declining sales.

rated:
Imjusthappytobehere said:   Wonder if closing most of the stacking coupons and other deals had a small bit to do in declining sales.
Except Back to School sales no one is going to buy at their regular prices.

rated:
Imjusthappytobehere said:   Wonder if closing most of the stacking coupons and other deals had a small bit to do in declining sales.

There are SO many reasons.  The web site is terrible.  The stores are a mess.  High turnover of help.

Last couple times I ordered something online to pickup in store, the merchandise was not there when I arrived.  "Oh, inventory shows our shelf model as stock, but we cannot sell that."  Their logistics is awful.  Single orders arrive in multiple parts on different trucks on different -- or even the same day!

For me, the beginning of the end was when they limited you to five gift cards on a single order.  I started using my gift cards on less expensive items and shopping Best Buy for computers.  Then they changed the rules for rewards lessening the holding time for rewards.  Then the coupons disappeared then the exemptions started.  Absent the ink recycling, I am not sure I would shop at Staples at all.

rated:
I lost 2 of the five stores in my area already. They were the 2 easiest for using coupons. The 3 that are still in the area are all coupon terrorists, and they all 3 seem to make up new rules all the time.

Just yesterday I was told I couldn't use rewards on a sale priced item.

I was also told I couldn't recycle 20 inks at once only 10 at a time.

Around Xmas time, I used a coupon on paper rebate item, and the manager took the printed rebate slip and kept it, telling me I can't use a coupon and get the rebate as well. I of course did the numbers online and did get it.

One of my sores would hide rebate paper in the back, and claim it was out of stock, I did get someone to get some out, since it showed in store pickup was available.

If it weren't for recycle money and rebates on paper, I would never spend a cent there.

I have been waiting for the day I roll up and the place is closed. We just lost one of the local Omax stores recently, I did roll in to use some rewards and it was empty and sign was removed.

rated:
I use my 20$ off 100$ purchase AMEX promo only to buy gift card for other stores at Staples.

rated:
Yet Staple*s IS paying out dividends to it's stockholders.
http://investor.staples.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96244&p=irol-newsArt...

Bottom line wise they are in the Black per the "Staples, Inc. Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Performance" link on the following website.
http://investor.staples.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96244&p=irol-IRHome

rated:
@AniGrumpy They are supposed to do that. This is not a matter of fairness -- the store is simply becoming less attractive to FWers. That might even be a sound business strategy.

rated:
did they say which stores would be closing ? thanks

rated:
wizwor said:   @AniGrumpy They are supposed to do that. This is not a matter of fairness -- the store is simply becoming less attractive to FWers. That might even be a sound business strategy.
  Staple*s is moving back to the business model they started off with decades ago. They strayed away from that model for around 15 years and are now cleaning out the useless stores they created during that time period.

rated:
henryj1 said:   did they say which stores would be closing ? thanks
  They usually don't. Some stores go through a rather quick clearance sale and some stores are closed over a weekend.

rated:
To some folks who feel since they dont shop Staples is the reason for closing down stores, please note that every retailer is going thru the pain of shutting down B&M. Macys, Staples, JCP, Aeropastle, Best Buy, etc.

Newsflash - More folks are buying online.

rated:
Until they learn to be competitive. The most expensive things are found in that store. I don't understand why they don't get it, if they have competitive prices people will buy on their own but instead you buy there because you are running out of time and there is no time to ship and you have to get it from there. Otherwise I avoid them. Also, I have to print a lot but the customer service is horrible (and so does their online printing interface)...

rated:
javaman2003 said:   To some folks who feel since they dont shop Staples is the reason for closing down stores, please note that every retailer is going thru the pain of shutting down B&M. MacysStaples, JCP, Aeropastle, Best Buy, etc.

Newsflash - More folks are buying online.

In the last two years, I have cancelled subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, BJs, and Sams Club.  For the most part, the cost and convenience advantage of online and warehouse stores has evaporated.  Staples simply isn't one of the stores that have figured out how to compete. 

rated:
Somewhere along the line, they lost their way.

rated:
Shame, that to compete against the likes of Am@zon they need to merge.
And not really sure if that will help at this point

rated:
Red55 said:   Shame, that to compete against the likes of Am@zon they need to merge.
And not really sure if that will help at this point

This was kinds of slef-inflicted.  Last year ordered something from St@ples online for store pickup, got the pickup email.  Went to store, they couldn't find the order.  They were asking me if the item came to the store via FedEx or one of their own truck ? !!   As a customer, how am suppose to know how the item got the store?  Wasted 15 mins and the Asst Mgr berated me for wasting his time.  Haven't spent a dime since at St@ples. 

Amaz0n on the other hand, I get regular update on where the shipping is and get instant notification the minute the item dropped off at my door. 

rated:
Perhaps Sales Tax is a clue to the demise of Brick & Mortar stores. Amazon has had the advantage of shipping to certain States' customers without collecting sales tax. Only this week will Amazon begin collecting sales tax from New Mexico's customers.

rated:
I bought an item and paid for it with a CC and gift card. A week after I returned it with their UPS shipping label, I had to contact them to initiate the refund. Then I had to contact them at least 15 more times over a 2 month period trying to get the gift card portion of the refund. I still haven't received it. They have no idea what they are doing.

Also I placed this order over the phone and they pulled up someone else's billing address and put it on my order. I never told them this was my billing address. I specifically said it is the same as the shipping address.

Meanwhile, I've had great experiences with bestbuy.

rated:
Amazon hits us in CA with just as much sales tax, even on items from third-party sellers shipping from several other states from their only 1 location clearly not in CA.  Reminds me of  when bought online from Bealls Florida
(within-that-state dept. store) which whapped me with the tax, as did a small business in Oregon which does not even sales-tax its own residents.

rated:
Staples lost its way years ago. They added products that had no reason to be in the store, or on the website. During the holidays, the front of the store was 100% Brookstone products. The stores were dirty and disorganized. Counterfeit coupons were widely manufactured with ease, and forums such as this posted ways to take advantage of the company's lack of sophistication. As the company tightened up (which took years), those that had been taking advantage stopped doing so, because there were no more deals. As a result, sales dropped also (even if those sales weren't profitable, the top line went up).

They also have stupid policies.  If I go into the store, and the website is less, I should pay that price.  I should not have to get them to match themselves.

Now they are paying for all that. I used to own some shares, they doubled. Then they halved over time. I sold. I don't believe that the 2 main competitors will exist on their own for more than another 18 months at best.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   Staples lost its way years ago. They added products that had no reason to be in the store, or on the website. 
  You mean this isn't a popular business item?

http://www.staples.com/Barska-Loaded-Gear-Vx-300-Tactical-Vest-B...

rated:
Glacierwolf said:   
EradicateSpam said:   Staples lost its way years ago. They added products that had no reason to be in the store, or on the website. 

rated:
AniGrumpy said:   
Glacierwolf said:   

Nope.

rated:
They chose to replace technology items with more paper products, bulk candy and odd business products like nursing assistant uniforms. Next some brainless moron chose to shred the computer section and gear it towards low information home users instead of small businesses who shop at Staples. I guess they had their hopes pinned on paper and ink sales to save themselves but the market has been shifting away to digital slowly eating their cash cow. Sad times for the once mighty Staples.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017